Best CPU for gaming....

deadmaufive

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
So, I'm building a 1080 ti build here to handle 2k (and soon enough 4k) gaming and VR. Price isn't too much an issue, but I'm still not wanting to fork out for useless extraness. Also, Intel fanboi here. Don't hate me, just never been steered wrong by them.

Basically, I'm looking at either the 7820x, or the 8700k. Im seeing mixed reviews for these, so I'd like some direct responses from people. Even if its a different suggestion than these two.

Also, is a new extreme processor coming out soon? If so, should i wait for it?

Solution
Ryzen 2 is coming out, but since you claim you prefer Intel, no point in waiting for it.

The 8700K is the current best mainstream CPU for gaming. You simply can't go wrong with it + a nice mobo and a cooler to overclock it whenever you need.

Pairing it up with 16 GB(or more) of fast RAM and a 1080 Ti will run those 2k as if it was nothing.

Make sure you get a monitor with G-Sync and a high refresh rate as well so you can get the best experience the GPU will provide.

manddy123

Admirable
Ryzen 2 is coming out, but since you claim you prefer Intel, no point in waiting for it.

The 8700K is the current best mainstream CPU for gaming. You simply can't go wrong with it + a nice mobo and a cooler to overclock it whenever you need.

Pairing it up with 16 GB(or more) of fast RAM and a 1080 Ti will run those 2k as if it was nothing.

Make sure you get a monitor with G-Sync and a high refresh rate as well so you can get the best experience the GPU will provide.

Solution

jr9

Estimable
8700k is the best gaming CPU and will be for some time. Anything above that games won't take advantage of. Skylake and Kabylake-X are designed for other things like workstation tasks. If Ryzen generation 2 comes close to its performance I would be extremely surprised. Adding more cores isn't going to work this time for AMD. One thing they may do is increase the clock speeds to high numbers like they did with FX.