Ram: 2x8 Gb Corsair Vegance 36090mhz
GPU: Rx5700xt Sapphire Pulse
SSD Nvme Express XPG 512 GB
HDD: Credo un sata da 1TB
PS: Seasonic 650W Gold Plus

I would like to upgrade cpu and I think best options are:
5600x

what’s your thoughts?

if I go with intel, can I keep rams or they are not compatible?
For this time, I prefer to go with intel but if it’s too much pricy, I will stick with AMD.

thanks!

Solution
Current build:

BUILD
MOBO: B450 Tomahawk
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

5600x

what’s your thoughts?

For this time, I prefer to go with intel but if it’s too much pricy, I will stick with AMD.

thanks!
5600X is close enough to 'the best' for gaming that you wouldn't miss out on anything appreciable. That CPU also works just fine on your board but changing to a 12400 Intel would mean a platform change too making it very much the more expensive choice... especially...
Jan 27, 2022
I think it's broke is not a good answer and just start spending money.

The CPU is about the last thing I would check they fail rarely.
I said I think as I
I think it's broke is not a good answer and just start spending money.

The CPU is about the last thing I would check they fail rarely.

this is not the answer to my question.

I did several tests and there are couple of things which let me think could be the CPU faulty.

5600x and 12400 are comparable in performance.
5600x is a bit better in multithreaded batch apps,
and 12400 a bit better in cpu centric games.

For the 12400, you will need a lga1700 motherboard.
B660 matx size ddr4 are reasonable.
You can reuse your ddr4 ram.

Jan 27, 2022
5600x and 12400 are comparable in performance.
5600x is a bit better in multithreaded batch apps,
and 12400 a bit better in cpu centric games.

For the 12400, you will need a lga1700 motherboard.
B660 matx size ddr4 are reasonable.
You can reuse your ddr4 ram.
thank you so much
If performance are pretty much the same, I will stick with ryzen than as I have already bought it.

Can I stay with B450 tomahawk or it is better to upgrade?

Current build:

BUILD
MOBO: B450 Tomahawk
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

5600x

what’s your thoughts?

thanks!
5600X is close enough to 'the best' for gaming that you wouldn't miss out on anything appreciable. That CPU also works just fine on your board but changing to a 12400 Intel would mean a platform change too making it very much the more expensive choice... especially with the recent AMD price drops.

Solution
Jan 27, 2022
The time to ask for opinions is BEFORE you buy.

Correct.

I had a problem with a CPU - which has been solved as soon as I ve tried the new one. I can still give back the new CPU within 30 days or keep it.
If performance are the same, I will keep it.

Just need to understand if it's worth changing my Mobo

Jan 27, 2022
5600X is close enough to 'the best' for gaming that you wouldn't miss out on anything appreciable. That CPU also works just fine on your board but changing to a 12400 Intel would mean a platform change too making it very much the more expensive choice... especially with the recent AMD price drops.
Thank you so much.

It is worth to upgrade mobo or do I stick with mine? what does it change if I get a new mobo? Any suddgestion?

Thank you so much.

It is worth to upgrade mobo or do I stick with mine? what does it change if I get a new mobo? Any suddgestion?
B450 Tomahawks are really very good boards, I don't think you'll gain much with a new motherboard just for a 5600X CPU. The biggest improvement would be PCIe gen 4 for GPU and NVME drive. But Gen 4 hasn't really proven to be a benefit to the GPU for gaming, and not even for the NVME because of the way Windows works so that's not really worth it IMO.

But there are some other considerations if you happen to find them benefitial: many B550's have included WiFi as well as 2.5Gb ethernet. And many also have USB-C headers for front mounted USB-C ports if your case has one. In general, many also have more USB v 3.1 ports on back panel. There may be some other features thrown on the newer boards but you have to know you need them to make it a worthwhile purchase.

Last edited:
Thank you so much.

If a motherboard is working correctly, the performance comes from the cpu and the underlying motherboard has little impact.
If there are features such as wifi, sound or... then perhaps.
It is unusual that a cpu will fail; motherboard failures are more common.

dcvikes

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I would keep the B450 you have unless you transfer files a lot (and monitor the speeds) you will not see a difference with PCIe3 vs PCIe4 (for NVME). Bootup and shutdown times are basically the same and in gaming makes no appreciable difference. I use an ASrock B450 with a 5600x myself.