Question Best CPU for my system ?

ButifulDog

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020
Hello,
Recently ive upgradedd my gpu. Went from a 1650 to a 5700 xt. I thought my processor would be fine for now but recently ive been playing very cpu intensive games like Rust and can not use my display to its full potential and I am looking for some info to decide what I should go for. Budget isnt that much of a worry since i do not need to have the upgrade right at this moment and I would 100% prefer to go with AMD.
Pc specs:
Gigabyte radeon rx 5700 xt
Amd Ryzen 5 2600x ( stock cooler )
Asus prime b450m-a
2x8gb T-force red 3000mhz
Be quiet! 600w psu
1tb samsung 860 evo
1tb hdd storage
Display : Msi optix mag series 27' 165hz

Ye that is what i was thinking and I'm just a bit confused how my 2600x aged this badly
Easy answer to that. Last few years was a very intense competition between AMD and Intel, make each new gen having a real advantage over previous ones. Pretty much anything from 4-5 years ago is bad compared to newest CPUs. And we have hints new gen coming up will continue this trend, so Ryzen 7600X is probably going to trash 5600X.

ButifulDog

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020
So either I can do the upgrade now, or I can wait to get the new 7000 series AMD cpu but then I will also need new motherboard ram etc. Considering my gpu would It be logical to go with a 7000 series?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
When looking at similar thread counts
Ryzen 1000 ~= 4th gen Intel (7th gen Intel launched at the same time)
Ryzen 2000 ~= 6th/7th gen Intel (solid budget option, with Intel 8th and 9th gen requiring new motherboards vs 6th and 7th gen)
Ryzen 3000 ~= 8th/9th gen Intel (When Ryzen was very competitive on the budget side)
Ryzen 5000 >= 10th/11th gen Intel - Ryzen took the crown from Intel for most categories.
Intel 12th gen mid-range is about equal to Ryzen 5000
Intel 12th gen with Efficiency cores perform better in gaming and many workstation tasks (excepting the 5950X huge core count)
Then you have 5800X3D being one of the best gaming CPUs, but at the expense of being slower than the 5800X and many 12th gen Intel parts for general computing tasks.

GPUs are GPUs, won't really matter what you plug them into. If your game is GPU bound, performance will stay the same. If you are CPU bound, then a faster CPU will help you achieve higher maximum frame rates (at low settings), or improve 1% low frame rates (smoother gameplay) in general.

ButifulDog

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020
So that was quite dumb from my side to even mention my gpu since I mainly play Rust which needs good single core performance and sometimes doesn't even like hyperthreading.
So what would be the logical CPU upgrade for me, preferably I would like to not need to buy and swap out parts. Since 7000 series I would need to swap out A LOT, maybe even my psu since that chonky gpu needs a lot too, should I just go with a 5600x?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Or a 5700X or 5800X, just depends on what you want to spend.

You might check to see if anyone has tried Rust with a 5800X3D. The extra cache may or not have an impact.

5600X would be a decent budget upgrade, you can always look at 7000 series or the likely 7000 refresh in a year or two.

So that was quite dumb from my side to even mention my gpu since I mainly play Rust which needs good single core performance and sometimes doesn't even like hyperthreading.
So what would be the logical CPU upgrade for me, preferably I would like to not need to buy and swap out parts. Since 7000 series I would need to swap out A LOT, maybe even my psu since that chonky gpu needs a lot too, should I just go with a 5600x?
If budget is a consideration, 5600X is a logical choice. If budget is no consideration and you want "the best" obviously 5800X3d.

Don't be fooled by a "largely single thread" game. Obviously, that doesn't mean a single threaded CPU would be enough, even one that's super powerful. Modern OS's are heavily threaded and in the middle of gaming there's a lot more going on. The single thread of the game may be the most demanding one, but having a CPU that can handle all those other relatively light tasks means the single thread won't be impacted.

found this Redit post:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/playrust/comments/u8qjjy/amd_5800x3d_rust_benchmark/

The poster saw what looks to be very impressive performance uplift using a 6900XT as his baseline GPU going from 5600X to 5800X3d.

Last edited:
So either I can do the upgrade now, or I can wait to get the new 7000 series AMD cpu but then I will also need new motherboard ram etc. Considering my gpu would It be logical to go with a 7000 series?
The problem with waiting is we don't know exactly how long it will take for 7000 series to be available for normal people. So if you feel like your setup is struggling and needs upgrade now then go 5600/5800. If you feel it can wait few months I would wait, performance boost on new gen will almost surely be worth it.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-5600

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-5600-and-ryzen-5-5500-review

Ok so I've came back with one last idea, what about a Ryzen 7 3700x? I am looking at the used market and it is around 40-50 euros cheaper than the 5600x
A 3700X still a viable gaming CPU and even though single thread performance is an upgrade from a 2600x it's still 10-15% less than a 5600X, up to 20% in some games and resolutions. If you game at 4k it probably won't matter much if at all...at 1440p the difference is more noticeable.

Not sure about Rust but since it depends heavily on the performance of a single thread it might be closer to 15% down on one. A 3700X is an 8 core/16 thread CPU that shines in heavily threaded workloads like rendering and video editing.

And last: beware the used market for CPU's since you never know how a CPU was used and it's especially important with 3000 and 5000 series CPU's. Zen2 and Zen3 CPU's are susceptible to early degradation when people overclock them with fixed clocks and voltage if it's not done carefully.

Last edited:

ButifulDog

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020
Alright so I thought the extra cores and threads would be a big help, didn't know in single thread performance it was that much slower, since I don't do anything major that would need 8 cores for I will definitely be going with a 5600x and a new one at that. When I do get a 5600x will my MB need a bios update? I've checked and It seems to be the case for some, but for others it works fine.

A 5600X would be my pick if you don't want to completely overhaul your system. I would caution though, Rust isn't known for it's stellar performance. I've seen people go from a similar CPU to an 8700K and found it much better but it's difficult to know how much better it will be until you try.