[SOLVED] Best CPU for RX 570?

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
Hey guys, so I was looking for a new cpu to get this christmas, and I was wondering if the Ryzen 5 2600 would have been a good fit. I already found a good motherboard, so don't worry about that, I just wanted to ask this because I have 16Gb of 2400Mhz ram, and I know that Ryzen loves fast ram. I was looking for Intel, and I found the i5 9400f and another mobo which is more expensive though. Any thoughts?

Solution
the 9400f is a better gaming CPU for most games currently, although the 2600 would be better in more professional workloads as it had double the thread count (that thread count could make it a better CPU in the long term).

A 3600 would be the best choice, but obviously its more expensive.

The 2600 would be better, in more modern titles. The 6 core intel's can suffer from frametime variance, that the 6 core, 12 thread, Ryzen's do not. Given the RX 570, even in more lightly threaded titles, the difference would be 0.
the 9400f is a better gaming CPU for most games currently, although the 2600 would be better in more professional workloads as it had double the thread count (that thread count could make it a better CPU in the long term).

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hey guys, so I was looking for a new cpu to get this christmas, and I was wondering if the Ryzen 5 2600 would have been a good fit. I already found a good motherboard, so don't worry about that, I just wanted to ask this because I have 16Gb of 2400Mhz ram, and I know that Ryzen loves fast ram. I was looking for Intel, and I found the i5 9400f and another mobo which is more expensive though. Any thoughts?

Wait, what do you have currently, motherboard and CPU?

Also, far more importantly, what is your monitor? Brand and model would be nice, but also, specifically:
  • What is its resolution?
  • What is its refresh rate?
  • Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
    • If FreeSync, what is its FreeSync range?

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
Wait, what do you have currently, motherboard and CPU?

Also, far more importantly, what is your monitor? Brand and model would be nice, but also, specifically:
  • What is its resolution?
  • What is its refresh rate?
  • Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
    • If FreeSync, what is its FreeSync range?
My motherboard is the H110 Pro-VD
I have a 60Hz refresh rate
My monitor has FreeSync, and my range is from 48Hz to 60Hz

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019

Yeah, at this moment I can't really afford a 3600, but in case i decide to get the 2600 or the 2600x will the ram speed be an issue?
Also, isn't the 9400f's base clock speed 2.9GHz? I'm asking this because I don't really like overclocking.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Right now I have a Pentium G4560, and I mainly play Destiny 2, a bit of PUBG-like games, so mainly shooters; also a lot of CPU intensive games, even though they run at 30fps on 900p and the lowest settings
That doesn't say alot.

If you want to upgrade to a new platform is that okay of course,but if you don't have alot of money is the i5 7600K or even better i7 7700(K) a good solution which you could get used. Since having 16gb of ram already imo stil a decent upgrade if used prices aren't too high.

About that ram,yes it wil be fine with a Ryzen build. You could try and overclock it to maybe even 2933mhz by (at first) adding voltage,so setting Dram Voltage to 1.35V (a respected member told me that 1.45V still seems to be okay),but try 1.35V first if you go that route or just see where 2400mhz will get you performance wise.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Right now I have a Pentium G4560, and I mainly play Destiny 2, a bit of PUBG-like games, so mainly shooters; also a lot of CPU intensive games, even though they run at 30fps on 900p and the lowest settings
Trying to go to a 9000 series Intel CPU would involve the same issues as going to a Ryzen. New motherboard and new RAM are required.

Are you currently running on the integrated Intel graphics on the G4560?

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
That doesn't say alot.

If you want to upgrade to a new platform is that okay of course,but if you don't have alot of money is the i5 7600K or even better i7 7700(K) a good solution which you could get used. Since having 16gb of ram already imo stil a decent upgrade if used prices aren't too high.

About that ram,yes it wil be fine with a Ryzen build. You could try and overclock it to maybe even 2933mhz by (at first) adding voltage,so setting Dram Voltage to 1.35V (a respected member told me that 1.45V still seems to be okay),but try 1.35V first if you go that route or just see where 2400mhz will get you performance wise.
The 7600K is 250 Euros for me, so I'd rather not

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
I would go for a 2600 on a B450 motherboard. It is plenty fast enough to drive an rx570 and you would also be able to upgrade to a 3600/3700x in the future.
Ok, so in base of Intel there really isn't really anything price/performance like the 2600? Not because I prefer intel, but because I don't really like overclocking so it'd be better for my RAM.

logainofhades

Titan

The 2600 would be better, in more modern titles. The 6 core intel's can suffer from frametime variance, that the 6 core, 12 thread, Ryzen's do not. Given the RX 570, even in more lightly threaded titles, the difference would be 0.

Solution

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
FINAL ANSWER: Ok guys, I want to thank you all for answering to my thread and using your precius time to help someone else! I've decided to either get the 2600x if it's 150 Euros (maybe it'll be on sale, who knows), but if not I'll just get the 2600. You have all helped me so much, and I'm very grateful for that.

TRENDING THREADS