Luigi_Master

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
Greetings. There are a few threads on the internet already about this particular question, but I've also discovered that there appears to be a modified BIOS that allows you to use Ivy Bridge processors. However, the thread seems to imply the BIOS isn't easy to install and they seem to be having problems with getting the desired result. Likewise, there are a few threads on Dell's site that ask this question, but because Dell doesn't thoroughly test their machines, they only list Sandy Bridge processors, up to i5s. There are even a few threads here where people seem to be unsure about Ivy Bridge processors, though those were in the past. I have 4 Vostro 260s that I managed to collect, and I decided to repurpose them for friends and family. I want to know if anyone here has had any luck with getting a CPU better than an i5 2500 working in these machines. Sandy Bridge has a little fight left in them, and i7s will certainly help with the more thread intensive games like Battlefield 1 and 5, but apparently i7s are unsupported with Dell's motherboard, 0GDG8Y.

Thank you for reading my thread, I hope to hear some good suggestions.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
LGA1155 has two chipset series - 6 and 7 - where 6 supports 2xxx CPUs out of the box, and 3xxx CPUs with a BIOS flash. 7 supports both out of the box.

What BIOS ver.? Check when the update for 3xxx CPUs came out, and what the version number is.

If you're on an older BIOS, it may not work 100% with the 3570, but with a newer bios it will definitely work.

This isn't from me it are from linustechtips website.I personally don't see the i7 2600k not work.btw both the 2500k and 2600k are still beast by today's standards.

Luigi_Master

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
Hey xraven, thanks for the reply. Since it's a Dell motherboard, it doesn't support overclocking, so a K series processor would be a waste of money; this is entirely with stock clocks. And as for Bios versions, I don't have a computer set up at the moment, and knowing Dell they wouldn't release a BIOS update to allow their customers to just upgrade their machines, they'd rather have them buy new computers. I also have a hard time confirming that the 3570 will work on this computer, like I said many people have different things to say, some guy mentioned the i7 2600 would work but came with some caveats, and pointed to a dead link.