Best CPU for windows apps?

ssg10

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
Can somebody suggest me the best CPU for my type of computer works? I have windows apps with math intensive processing in real-time, graphical plots in real-time, java apps, and other windows app. Real-time means data comes from a server in real-time and get processed and displayed with intensive math operations.
The problem right now is that my 1600+ AMD athlon and 1GB DDR system is so slow in loading charts, changing windows, loading java apps, etc.

Any suggestion? should I go with AMD 64 or P4?
Thanks

ssg10

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
I use for financial trading. Esignal (.com). Java based trading platform. Tradestation. Other trading platforms. All opened in same time with live real-time data.
I can't afford to wait for the freaking windows to refresh forever and can lose $$ quick for that.

Thanks. Looks like AMD 64 is the solution. What speed do you recommend (i know faster is better, but i need affordable one and please recommend motherboard as well.)

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Budget should be known, without it i'll suggest a dual Opteron dual core (4-way) system :lol:

By the way: If you can loose money becouse of poor performance, then you should invest to dual core system.
It is more expensive, but performance is worth it..

Intel single core CPU do have hyperthreading, but overall system price is not actually slower (than AMD X2) becouse you could use your current memory in AMD system.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by HansGruber on 06/11/05 06:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Are you going to build the system or buy it?
Budget?

<font color=blue>If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will go wrong first will be the one that will do the most possible damage</font color=blue>

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Well, dual core really sounds good.
But, really, do you think AMD 64 3000+ is good enough?
It is a matter of budget = How much money you spend to computer ?

Also if it's anything critical (you gave that impression) you should by kick-ass system.

AMD 64 3000 is good enough if you have survived with your current system.
AMD64's current ratings are not comparable to XP series ratings.

So, budget is ?

ssg10

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
I think i hit submit button, but it doesn't show up..
ok, here again

Do you think 64 performance for win apps is twice of athlon xp? if yes, then probably i should go with it
i'm planning to spend $300-$500 on cpu + mobo.
any recommendation?

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
For that budget you could use your old memory.
How fast is your current memory ?

[edit]

Are you sure that windows refresh slowly becouse of CPU ?
Maybe applications are waiting data from the network ?

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Also do you have a video card?
It is AGP? or PCI.

<font color=blue>If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will go wrong first will be the one that will do the most possible damage</font color=blue>

pat

Expert
I would get an socket 754 motherboard and the 3400+ or 3700+ socket 754 AMD64 cpu. they run at 2.4 GHz, plenty fast for what you need.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
well i woulkd try tigerdirect, assuming that you are in canada (where i'm from and where there are lots of taxes) you can get a amd althlon 64 3500+ socket 939)(http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1057011) and a ASUS A8V delux (AGP 8X and PCI that is) http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1024725&CatId=1570
or a ASUS A8V-E Delux (PCIE, however i don;t think that ur graphic card is that good...) http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1218227&CatId=1570
for around $500, i haven't done the specific calculations, and remember this is CAD so if you are american then you can go better
WARNING: you MIGHT need to get new ram sticks as that you migh have old ram specs like SIMM or 163-pin(i think its 163 i konow its in the 160s but...) DIMM and that i'm sure that these mobo used 184-pin(again not sure if its 184 but sure its 180 soemthing) DIMMs
or like wusy said get better ram and HDD if ya plan to spend less

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
well barebones (IMO) are for the people that don;t like to look through stuff carefully and choose their stuff and consider all the thing (like power supply might nto be enough if i add this or that) and a good way for companies to get rid of overstocked pc components liek a cd drive (now i hope u got one of these lol) so i would not sugges these at all as they throw xtra crap at yoiu, if ur building from ground up, maybe
becides all these have a socket 754 which means that if u want to go any higher in a few years you will need a new mobo so i would say get a socket 939 and that the more $$ u pay is gona worth it after a few years when you upgrade

overall just don;t go with barebones unless you plan to build a new pc as that the parts that come with it are usually not needed and just adds to the cost.... <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheHolyLancer on 06/12/05 04:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pat

Expert
becides all these have a socket 754 which means that if u want to go any higher in a few years you will need a new mobo

Yep, he will probably just want to get a new motherboard in a few years because newer AMD will use the new M2 socket by 2006.. DDR2 ram will be the new RAM standard, ant that will be the RAM these new CPU will use. So, either he goes 939 with dualcore now(because the reason to go with 939 last year was it would run the newer dual core, and they are now available(or close), or, for what he does, he goes with a cheaper socket 754 nforce3 motherboard, which can be now bougth for about 80$ and spend the rest of his budget on a 3400+ or 3700+(2.4GHz for both, 512k cache for teh 3400+ and 1M for the 3700+( same spec as the 3800+ and 4000+ in the 939, less dual channel )) and a dual display video card for dual monitor display. And 1 gig of RAM at minimum.

This system will kick ass any 939 system that could be bought with the same amount of money and will have him to wait longer before the need to upgrade.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
hmm i guess so, but i would think that he don;t upgrade as often tho so that next time he migh just use a cheap socket 939 duel core while w/e else they are making with the newere cores

pat

Expert
he could get a dual core later with 939, but if he dont upgrade often, then he's better with the dual core now and having it last as long as he could, or getting a fast 3400+ or 3700+ socket 754 and have it last as long and get a new motherboard with maybe faster chipset, newer feature, better HDD performance, new DDR2 ram and whatever CPU that will be available at this time.

when you dont upgrade often, you just get the better price/performance you can afford. you get it for NOW and you dont care about future. Because it will always have something new to upgrade anyway. Current mobo are definitively not the last one built..

This way, you always have fast system with the latest and the best. Not outdated component mixed with expensive better one that cannot be fully used because limited by the oldest one. A computer will always be as fast as the slowest component in the system. And I dont want a weak link in my system..

TRENDING THREADS