Build Advice Best CPU/MOBO for RTX 4070 ?

Oct 4, 2023
Hello, I've been looking to build myself a new PC, and decided that I want to go for 4070 for the GPU, so I was wondering if you could suggest a good budget motherboard and CPU. Basically I'm looking into ryzen 5 5600x ( which many people and tests are showing slight bottleneck) and ryzen 7 7700 which is a bit more money than I want to spend for a CPU. Any advises?

Hello, I've been looking to build myself a new PC, and decided that I want to go for 4070 for a GPU, so I was wondering if you couod suggest good budget motherboard and CPU. Basically I'm looking into ryzen 5 5600x ( which many people and tests are showing slight bottleneck) and ryzen 7 7700 which is a bit more money that I want to spend for a CPU. Any advises?

Hey there,

At 1080p, yes there is a small bottlneck. But not how you might think. Really the term 'bottleneck' is a bit of a misnomer.

At 1440p and above, there is little to no bottleneck. That res, 1440p, is where your card is at, so it's actually a decent enough match with the 5600x/4070 combo,

Mobo wise, any decent B550 with at least 8+ power phases will be good, This resource here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PuUWroxA0HvSSipsXlB8hnYkshxD8LdeO5EA6WLdOQw/edit?pli=1#gid=0

will help you choose something decent.

Arguably, the 5700x or even the 5800x3d is what I'd suggest for the AM4 Socket. The 7700 is AM5/DDR5, so more cost for sure.

Reactions: Engniveled
Oct 4, 2023
what are your plans for the system;
gaming,
video production,
basic tasks, etc..?

if gaming, what type of quality are you expecting in what types of games?
Main goal is 1440p gaming, I just want to have a system that I wouldn't have to change for some time and enjoy AAA games without worrying about changing to lower settings.

Oct 4, 2023
Hey there,

At 1080p, yes there is a small bottlneck. But not how you might think. Really the term 'bottleneck' is a bit of a misnomer.

At 1440p and above, there is little to no bottleneck. That res, 1440p, is where your card is at, so it's actually a decent enough match with the 5600x/4070 combo,

Mobo wise, any decent B550 with at least 8+ power phases will be good, This resource here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PuUWroxA0HvSSipsXlB8hnYkshxD8LdeO5EA6WLdOQw/edit?pli=1#gid=0

will help you choose something decent.

Arguably, the 5700x or even the 5800x3d is what I'd suggest for the AM4 Socket. The 7700 is AM5/DDR5, so more cost for sure.
very nice chart, ty for the info, I was considering the 5700x but it seems to be very low performance upgrade than the 5600x looking at this : https://www.tomshardware.com/review...ml#section-gaming-cpu-benchmarks-ranking-2023

I would've went for the 5800x3d since it's the most recommended for the 4070 but it's mad expensive in my country around 500$

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
want to have a system that I wouldn't have to change for some time and enjoy AAA games without worrying about changing to lower settings
the 4070 will already need multiple settings lowered with the most demanding games for higher frame rates @ 1440p.

as time goes on this will become more and more necessary, especially if you plan on RT effects and the latest graphics technologies.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Oct 4, 2023
the 4070 will already need multiple settings lowered with the most demanding games for higher frame rates @ 1440p.

as time goes on this will become more and more necessary, especially if you plan on RT effects and the latest graphics technologies.
I'm using 2060 right now and running cyberpunk on 20-30fps with low graphics @1080p so the 4070 will definitely will be a huge boost

"Bottleneck" only matters when the computer isn't hitting the performance you want. In any case, if you can afford something newer and better, then get the newer and better thing.

Or if you want something more specific:
  • Socket AM4 is a dead end. So if you're going to get something on that platform now, may as well splurge and get the 5800X3D.
  • You don't have to get a Ryzen 7700, the 7600X will work just fine here

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
running cyberpunk...the 4070 will definitely will be a huge boost
a huge boost over the RTX 2060 @1080p but will still need lowered settings @1440p with Ray Tracing effects for higher frame rates.
DLSS with high performance settings will definitely help but many would also consider that even lower settings as the resolution adapts to maintain frame rates.
then enabling Path Tracing and other technologies will leave you nearer to 20-30fps without a top-tiered CPU and more powerful GPU.

as games advance "for some time" that you plan on keeping this system these settings/effects will be even more demanding.

Oct 4, 2023
"Bottleneck" only matters when the computer isn't hitting the performance you want. In any case, if you can afford something newer and better, then get the newer and better thing.

Or if you want something more specific:
  • Socket AM4 is a dead end. So if you're going to get something on that platform now, may as well splurge and get the 5800X3D.
  • You don't have to get a Ryzen 7700, the 7600X will work just fine here
Ty for the reply, I was looking into the 7700 becouse I found it on a discount and it's the same price ( around 250$) MPK tho.

Ty for the reply, I was looking into the 7700 becouse I found it on a discount and it's the same price ( around 250$) MPK tho.
If that's the case, then sure, go ahead and get that.

Regarding motherboard choices, figure out what I/O you need and find something based on that. Just make sure the CPU VRM (the stuff on the left of and above the socket) at least has something resembling a decent heat sink on it

Oct 4, 2023
a huge boost over the RTX 2060 @1080p but will still need lowered settings @1440p with Ray Tracing effects for higher frame rates.
DLSS with high performance settings will definitely help but many would also consider that even lower settings as the resolution adapts to maintain frame rates.
then enabling Path Tracing and other technologies will leave you nearer to 20-30fps without a top-tiered CPU and more powerful GPU.

as games advance "for some time" that you plan on keeping this system these settings/effects will be even more demanding.
I get that sure, but the 4080, 4090 are twice or even more the price of a 4070 or at least where I'm living, the point of my research is to avoid getting a cpu that isn't going to perform good enough for this GPU and ofcourse researching what MOBO you need is just an overwhelming amount of information

I get that sure, but the 4080, 4090 are twice or even more the price of a 4070 or at least where I'm living, the point of my research is to avoid getting a cpu that isn't going to perform good enough for this GPU and ofcourse researching what MOBO you need is just an overwhelming amount of information
Again, don't base your hardware choices around bottlenecks or "balancing" or whatever. Base it around performance requirements. What do you need at the minimum to be happy and what performance would you like it to have for games that you want to play today?

Keep in mind, the CPU is what gives you the maximum FPS. The GPU is just drawing the frames.

For this round of Nvidia GPU's, yes, those are prohibitively expensive. They do offer a darn sight more performance than the 4070, but not worth the cost IMO. I would agree with the others, if you absolutely have to have RT enabled, then the 4070 will be a tad short in maxing things out. However, taking that out of the equation and the 4070 does just fine at 1440p. Not all games are demanding graphics wise. With DLSS 3 and Frame generation, the GPU does well enough.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023
Again, don't base your hardware choices around bottlenecks or "balancing" or whatever. Base it around performance requirements. What do you need at the minimum to be happy and what performance would you like it to have for games that you want to play today?

Keep in mind, the CPU is what gives you the maximum FPS. The GPU is just drawing the frames.
Yea I understand, I'm just trying to figure out if jumping from the initial 5600x to 7700 is a wise move, but considering all of the replies I guess it is.

Yea I understand, I'm just trying to figure out if jumping from the initial 5600x to 7700 is a wise move, but considering all of the replies I guess it is.
Do you want a CPU upgrade path later down the road? Chances are Zen 3 processors are only going to get more expensive from here on out as supply dwindles and the only suitable upgrade path from a 5600X, if gaming is your thing, is the 5800X3D.

Oct 4, 2023
Do you want a CPU upgrade path later down the road? Chances are Zen 3 processors are only going to get more expensive from here on out as supply dwindles and the only suitable upgrade path from a 5600X, if gaming is your thing, is the 5800X3D.
I get your point ty. I think 7700 is the one that I'm going for

I would say you have 2 platform choices.

Get an i5 12400 in a B660 mobo now and you have to option to upgrade to an i7 14700 later.

This would be the cheaper option with the choice of going DDR4 with B660.

The other option is 7700X or 7600 with B650 and DDR5 - its the safter option to upgrade to a new chip in 2025 or even 2026. if you go for a good enough mobo, you would even have pcie 5.0 support for upgrades later.

Oct 4, 2023
I would say you have 2 platform choices.

Get an i5 12400 in a B660 mobo now and you have to option to upgrade to an i7 14700 later.

This would be the cheaper option with the choice of going DDR4 with B660.

The other option is 7700X or 7600 with B650 and DDR5 - its the safter option to upgrade to a new chip in 2025 or even 2026. if you go for a good enough mobo, you would even have pcie 5.0 support for upgrades later.

this I5 seems similar to the ryzen 5 5600x but with better upgrade future, currently I'm looking at 7 7700 comboed with b650-P msi pro, would you say it's better to go for the cheaper cpu but with better mobo than going for a better CPU with budget mobo