Best CPU upgrade for LGA775 Socket?

Solution
It depends on what the motherboard supports and what power supply you have.

I've looked at multiple Families of processors that work for the LGA 775 socket.
The two processor families that are comparable are the Core 2 and Xeon.

The Xeon family is more reliable,
Assuming your PC supports Xeon processors.

Xeon processors are used in workstations so they're the go to if you're going to run your pc for multiple hours
plus they're affordable.

If your motherboard is only dual core.

I'd definitely go with the Intel Xeon E3110,
if you buy it on eBay you won't break the bank getting it and it runs at 3Ghz.

If your motherboard supports a quad core CPU.

I'd go with the Xeon X3380
seeing as it is available at a reasonable price on eBay.
It...
Suggest you run a UserBench benchmark and post a link to the results. The LGA775 CPUs are pretty much out of sale in my country, short of second hand or 'slightly dodgy' sources. Not sure of elsewhere. We might be able to gauge which CPU is best for your existing setup, and not just the fastest one that your board can handle.

For what it's worth, here's a list of the LGA 775 CPUs, of the 4-core nature (the faster ones), sorted by speed, which is a start:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#k=13&sort=tdp&page=1&C=3,22

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
It all depends on your motherboard, and to some extent the bios revision. The ZCPU picture doesn't show the exact model. It looks like the chipset is G41 which I think rules out overclocking and modified xeons.

Safe bet would be Q6600
Better and still probably safe would be Q9550 or best and still probably safe Q9650

Without the exact model and bios nothing is certain.

umashi

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
It depends on what the motherboard supports and what power supply you have.

I've looked at multiple Families of processors that work for the LGA 775 socket.
The two processor families that are comparable are the Core 2 and Xeon.

The Xeon family is more reliable,
Assuming your PC supports Xeon processors.

Xeon processors are used in workstations so they're the go to if you're going to run your pc for multiple hours
plus they're affordable.

If your motherboard is only dual core.

I'd definitely go with the Intel Xeon E3110,
if you buy it on eBay you won't break the bank getting it and it runs at 3Ghz.

If your motherboard supports a quad core CPU.

I'd go with the Xeon X3380
seeing as it is available at a reasonable price on eBay.
It also has SSE4.1 support, the Q6600 doesn't.

Intel Xeon E3110 specs

Intel Xeon X3380 specs

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 specs

X3380 vs Q6600

Assuming you haven't updated your Bios, I recommend updating it asap in case they added xeon cpu support to your Motherboard.

---Edit---
Forgot to mention.
Your motherboard must support the Front Side Bus speed of the cpu.

In the case of both Xeon CPU's, unless the chipset supports a 1333mhz fsb it won't work.

based on the reported chipset and on this link here it should work given i see some 1333 fsb CPU's on the list.

Another thing i'm concerned about is if your motherboard has the voltage regulator ICs to support quad core CPU's.

Given the screenshot doesn't list the motherboard none of us can find that out. please open command prompt as admin and type "wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer,version,serialnumber" then screenshot the results if you can find the motherboard model number somewhere.

Solution