[SOLVED] Best CPU upgrade for my GF

soldier5637

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
Hey everyone

So I want to start off by saying i'm fully expecting to get slaughtered by AMD fan boys (I have a 3600X myself, I get it) but I'm leaning towards suggesting my GF put her money towards a 9600K tomorrow as its $70 off and delivers better gaming performance than an AMD counterpart in the same $250 CAD range. She plays tons of overwatch and assassins creed, among others.

Solution
Exactly. New games, even old titles, can easily push high thread counts. My old skyrim with mods and enb was pushing 5 threads by itself. Online multi-player AI is killing thread count, reducing even 8 thread cpus to single digit fps.

6 threads is 1 foot in the grave already.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Can't honestly support a 6 core / 6 thread cpu. Even with that price drop. If you are wanting to stay with Intel, I'd at least be looking at a i5 10400 as it not only has a decent boost, but also HT, putting it at 6/12, on par with the I7 8700

soldier5637

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
Can't honestly support a 6 core / 6 thread cpu. Even with that price drop. If you are wanting to stay with Intel, I'd at least be looking at a i5 10400 as it not only has a decent boost, but also HT, putting it at 6/12, on par with the I7 8700
Contemplated the 10400, but it gets worse game benches with considerably lower clocks. Extra threads or not, 700/800 MHz helps in games quite a bit. Explains why when on sale they're the same price but $70 more for the older cpu otherwise.

I had 9600K and all I can say is, it's a snail. Yes, might be slightly better in certain games, but for overall PC performance, 3600X (for example) is a much better choice! -now and for future.
Don't do that to your GF... she will leave you :)

No, I'm not AMD fan -I'm my wallet fan.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Exactly. New games, even old titles, can easily push high thread counts. My old skyrim with mods and enb was pushing 5 threads by itself. Online multi-player AI is killing thread count, reducing even 8 thread cpus to single digit fps.

6 threads is 1 foot in the grave already.

Solution