Best CPUs (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great article. Very glad you stayed with this format rather than going to "Best and Maxed Out CPUs for Gaming @ HD (720p)" like the graphic card article.... You are helping me choose components for my next build.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Finally, the 8300 has long displaced the 6300 and 8320 as the best bang for the buck CPU in AMDs lineup.

Also, I presume the 880K will replace the 860K, once it becomes available

logainofhades

Titan
Have to admit, if you have an i3 budget, but need better multitasking, that FX 8300 is definitely an attractive buy. I was not aware AMD finally released a retail version. It has been OEM, for so long, that I had long forgotten about it.

aside: the price difference between some of these CPUs is so small that MB cost and CPU+MB energy savings becomes relevant. If you believe CPU Boss's assumptions on home PC run time: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-6100-vs-AMD-FX-8300 after 3 years you've closed $30 of the price gap... A fun exercise, but honestly sweating a $30 price difference is more a game then useful work...

"Lower annual home energy cost 12.29 $/year vs 22.89 $/year "

kunstderfugue

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012

Didn't Intel disable overclocking on it at least for a while?

gondor

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

Didn't Intel disable overclocking on it at least for a while?

Not to my knowledge. There were reports of Windows 10 not working correctly with OC G3258 but then again there have been reports about Windows 10 not working with just about any kind of hardware :) Microsoft really needs to fix that piece of cr*p and stop using consumers as beta testers ...

kunstderfugue

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012

Gotcha. There's hearsay about the MSI H81M-E34 motherboard from tom's best motherboards not being able to overclock it anymore. That's what made me suspicious but as with all hearsay it might be all bullshit.

The issues with the g3258 were from people trying to oc on non z series boards. Users who updated windows with the update that had the intel microcode caused some issues and there were workarounds. Basically people were using hardware in ways it was never intended and when things changed and the boards began performing as intended it created problems. Nothing sketchy about the cpu at all, trying to oc a cpu on a non overclocking board was sketchy from the get go and not intended to work. The fact it did was more or less 'lucky, enjoy it while it does'. Those with z series boards didn't have that issue as they were intended to oc.

H81 is a low end board more suited to budget home or office builds. Buy a barebones budget economy car and try to race it at the track, it falls apart then don't be surprised. There's a reason for racing rated tires and other components.

People are quick to complain when they can't buy cheap and use something for whatever they want but it doesn't make a lot of sense. It might be a bummer or less of a deal than someone hoped to get but it was a crap shoot. I'd like to use an old magnavox tv as a wrecking ball too, but if I do and the tv breaks apart instead of demolishing a building does that mean magnavox sucks? I mean a proper wrecking ball weighs thousands of pounds and costs thousands of dollars and an old t.v. should only run me like $20.. so why can't I just use the t.v.?

Joker41NAM

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
I may have said this before, but I think a good addition to this article (maybe at the end) would be a single CPU recommendation for all still-used "legacy" chipsets (Z97/87/99, FM1/AM3+). That would be useful for people who want to upgrade without having to buy a new motherboard.

artk2219

Distinguished

I like this idea, maybe have a best for your socket type section? That would take a long time though, and it would be hard to get a general consensus. Especially is you start including Xeons and Opterons. Would you say that the I7 990x is the best CPU for 1366 or the Xeon x5690 because its basically the 990x with a locked multi, but it can be found cheaper, how much weight would you give something like overclocking? What about core unlocking with the AMD's AM3 chips, where you could get a phenom ii 960T or any of those other T chips and they may be able to unlock into a 6 core (mine unlocked to a 6 and ran at 4Ghz for years, but it wasn't guaranteed, best $80 buck chip ever though). I think it may make an interesting article, but it'd be something that would be hard or impossible to keep up to date. Especially since chip prices for outdated parts change all the time with ebay or Amazon (the likely sources for these chips). Like I said I really like the idea, but i think that may have to be a community effort, and I think for each socket it would have to have a breakdown like "best possible processor", "best value", and maybe "most efficient or best features". There may already be a thread like that on here honestly.

jeffredo

Distinguished
Finally, the 8300 has long displaced the 6300 and 8320 as the best bang for the buck CPU in AMDs lineup.

Also, I presume the 880K will replace the 860K, once it becomes available

I don't know why anyone would buy any other FX processor. The FX-9XXX are too expensive and power hungry. The four and six cores becoming more constrained by today's applications and games. The other more expensive FX-8XXX don't make sense compared to it (they're the same chip for all intents and purposes). Just like this recommendation said - get a decent air cooler and your good to go.

f-14

Distinguished
if you have an intel (x)80's-(x)90's series motherboard you are better off upgrading the cpu to the i7-4790 or K
the only thing skylake does is about as minuscule as the last 60 years of climate data in climate change-gate green energy scam electricity bubble price inflation for stock profit investors
+.10 performance gain of 1% difference. sure sure it's newer smaller, uses .01 less of 1% less energy than haswell but comes with the brand newest encoding decoding instructions which is awesome if your a movie or recording studio burning tens of thousands of dvd's cd's per day that's like a 10% savings in energy cost via electricity use and heat reduction and newer 1% faster encoding/decoding instructions that's an extra 100 units per day for all the saved seconds and milliseconds!

if your a (x)50's or (x)60's you're better off scouring ebay looking for those i7-2600 (K) or 2700 (K) or i7 3700 (K) 10 seconds encoding and decoding performance isn't worth $500 in sklake and skylake m/b upgrade oops i forgot and DDR4 that's another $60 for 8GB of DDR4 ram even if it's DDR4 1600 speed from 2008. (rebadged ddr3 on a newer pcb)

GHZ matters then cache and ram speed and that's according to software programmers even if you have a 58 core 128mb cache ddr5 8000mhz. if it runs at 1.8 GHZ it won't even play crysis:
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/crysis/10652
Crysis Minimum Requirements
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (3.2 GHz for Vista) or faster, Intel Core 2.0 GHz (2.2 GHz for Vista) or faster, AMD Athlon 2800+ (3200+ for Vista) or faster.
CPU Speed: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (3.2 GHz for Vista) or faster, Intel Core 2.0 GHz (2.2 GHz for Vista) or faster, AMD Athlon 2800+ (3200+ for Vista) or faster.

here's a late easter egg i forgot to bring up on april 1
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/titanfall-2/13171

logainofhades

Titan
I am going from a 3570k to a 6700k. My CPU dependant games will benefit, from the improved IPC, a little, but my F@H should do much better.Scored an H170 board for cheap, that I will repurpose elsewhere, later. I can get a z170 combo, from Microcenter, when I have the funds. I could have bought a 3770k, but $300, in a 4yr system, didn't seem like a good idea. I can easily sell my old board, cpu, and memory. A friend of mine is still using an i5 750. A 4ghz 3570k will be a nice improvement. F-14, you got your chipsets wrong. It should be 60 and 70. 50's was gen 1, which would be i7 860. Your price for ram is too high, also. I picked up 16gb 2133, cas 13 corsair, for $65. GHZ doesn't matter as much as you think it does. Hence why Athlon 64 and Core 2 kicked P4 around, so badly. Architecture matters a lot.

FiveTenths

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
The 5820k is only 320 at Microcenter, can be had on sale for less than 300 with an additional 20 off if you also buy a motherboard.

If its worth a mention at 390 seems pretty good at 300

legonate416

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

Technically the 6700k is natively better than the 5820k for gaming.

And I would suggest the Pentium G4400 years before I would suggest the 8300 or the 860k. Reason being is so the builder can upgrade to a 6600k/6700k, whereas with AMD there isn't any good upgrade path beyond what is on the list. (Yeah the 880k and the 8320/8350/8370 exist... But a horrible idea to upgrade to that from an 8300)

logainofhades

Titan
Depends on the user, with regards to the 5820k. If they are recording/streaming gameplay, the 5820k is the superior CPU. Most games are not all that dependent on clock speed, so in 95%+, of all games, you probably wouldn't see a performance difference, without benchmarking it. For example a 3.0ghz 5960x isn't all that far below a 4.0ghz 6700k, in Fallout 4, which is a pretty demanding title.

CPU_01.png

Same can be said for Witcher 3. 4790k was used here, but the 6700k wouldn't perform any better, really

CPU_01.png

The big advantage, for 6700k, is the motherboard cost.

legonate416

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

Clock speed differences matter nothing if the CPUs being discussed are entirely different architectures, which Broadwell and Skylake are.

Status
Not open for further replies.