Best CPUs (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure I over spent on my rig when I set it up about a year ago but I'm proud that my 5930k cpu is still in the top bracket performance wise. I dont have an issue using my setup another 3+ years.

Igor_00

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
Could we get an upgrade-tierlist like the "best-of" articles used to have? I would love to know how far my current CPU is removed from the tier I would like to be at.

It's amazing how many still cling to IPS wins every time despite the changes in game engines that are demanding more and more quad-core/thread minimums.

If you only concentrate on that, and that the current boxed offerings from AMD are getting old (ancient in PC years), PLUS the extremely limited upgrade path, then AMD is something to avoid like the plague. However, for the average mom & pop who just surf the web, play solitaire, balance their checkbook, and/or do email... its a non-issue. For entry level gaming, its a tough choice based on your budget. AMD will still work, if you don't mind the next upgrade will require you to gut your system (RAM, MoBo, CPU) completely.

TBH, I want AMD to be able to make Intel at least concerned, if not downright nervous or scared. Maybe we'll get it when we can get real numbers from ZEN. It should be enough to at least get Intel to make some significant improvements... unless we've hit the wall with silicon as we're used to using it.

artk2219

Distinguished

Wow, they dropped the already low price of 89.99 another 10 bucks. Meaning you can bundle it with the decent gigabyte 970 gaming board for 109.99. Thats cheaper than just an I3, and it will murder it in multithreaded tasks. You should be able to throw a damned decent system together with an RX480 for less than 500 bucks with no OS. Thats an insane value, well so long as you dont mind having no upgrade path on your motherboard. But, since most people replace the board, cpu, and mem when they upgrade anyways it shouldnt be much of an issue. The negative side is that Microcenter has basically given everyone a reason to NOT buy any of the higher end AMD CPU's. Since they all have unlocked multipliers, and clock about the same. Honestly as terrible as it sounds i cant wait for them to further clearance the FX's when Zen starts coming out, they will make great chips for several people that just need a general computer for years to come.

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
With the CPU and GPU reviews they do not do enough to show how little performance has improved in the last few years. I’ve got an i7 3930k from 2011 and I’m still waiting for a real upgrade. Almost as bad with my 290x GPU.

deadsmiley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I haven't built a desktop in almost 12 years so to save money I went the used route for most of my components.

Used stuff:
Gigabyte X79-UD3
Xeon E5-1650 (6 cores, overclocked to 4.5GHz)
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-2400
850 EVO 1TB SSD
Already had 24" 1080p monitor, kb, mouse and headphones

EVGA G2 1000w PSU (did GTX 690 Quad SLI for a bit)
Fractal Define R5 case
EVGA GTX 1070 SC

Running BF1 at over 60fps maxed out I *do* see all cores equally loaded. It's a beautiful thing.

shawtux

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
the Intel Core i5 6500 actually IS the oem price they list there. even though they say they dont do oem prices...

Ethan15243

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
Which one do you guys think is better, 6700k or 6600k for streaming and recording somewhat easy games but the games have heavy graphic modifications, so which one would be better?

oxloxl

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Pentium G4560 (54W/$75) + RX 460 (75W/$100) makes the most awesome budget entry level HD gaming PC seen yet !

Larsenexx44

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
Is there any word on the Skylake X line of processors? I was hoping to skip Broadwell and go directly to overpriced (snickers) but that was my intent for a complete new build early 2018.

Larsenexx44

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
Is there any word on when we will see the Skylake X line of processors (6, 8 and 10 core)? I was hoping to skip Broadwell and build new in early 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.