Best CPUs for BX and LX mobos?

G

What are the best cpus I can plug into a BX motherboard (capable of 100MHz fsb) and what's the best one I can plug into an LX motherboard (I think it only goes to 66MHz fsb)? They are both slot one. The BX currently has a Celeron 300 and the LX currently has a P2-300.

I want the cheapest solution possible to make these two old machines more game capable (yes, guests get the cheap machines). If I start replacing much more I know I'll want to replace everything, but I can handle just buying two new cpus if they're cheap enough.

Thanks

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Depending on the motherboard of the BX one, you could get a 1 GHz PIII slot 1 and put it in there. You may even be able to get a socket 370 with a slot 1 converter on it. I am sure you would need a BIOS update. But like I said, it depends on the motherboard manufacturer and if their BIOS will support that speed of processor.

G

>>the best one I can plug into an LX motherboard (I think it only goes to 66MHz fsb)? They are both slot one. The BX currently has a Celeron 300 and the LX currently has a P2-300.

Documentation on my Dell XPS D266 (LX chipset) claims that
the highest by design is PII-333. Come on, it's 3-years old!

PII-350, 400, 450 had 100 MHz FSB, not 66 MHz FSB, so I DO
believe that you cannot use them. The question of 66 MHz Celerons is more open, and may boil down to multipliers supported (in my case it's x5) but do not expect too much out of LX as only one PII chipset was older than LX: it was FX :)

One day I will replace both mobo and a CPU - both are way beyond 'obsolete' by now.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I garuntee that your BX can support at least a 600 Katmai processor. Whether or not it can support a coppermine is dependant upon manufacturer, bios revision, and model revision, but if it can support a coppermine, you can go all the way up to 1000 with the 1000E (not the more common EB unless it can also support 133 and your video card can handle the higher bus speed). The LX machine should support up to a 533 PPGA in the proper converter. Evergreen make upgrade processors that go faster though.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

TRENDING THREADS