Best DDR2 RAM today?

NotShawn

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Hi, I am looking to do some upgrades to my January 2010 Custom Build. I am wondering if I should upgrade my RAM. I have 4GB of OCZ Reaper and 4GB of Kingston HyperX RAM. The system is still fast today and am pleased with it but I am wondering if I could get some better DDR2 RAM this day in time. My Motherboard is the GIGABYTE EP43-UD3L, my Graphics Card is the GIGABYTE GTX 670 which replaced my old Graphics Card in 2012 when the other one went bad on me. I have the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 but I have not decided to do Overclocking yet still to this day... It performs pretty well on Battlefield 4 but i run into some stuttering in GTA IV. Is GTA IV more GPU or CPU intensive? Thanks.

Solution
Hello,

DDR-2 is not manufactured anymore for public use, so if you have DDR2-800 it is OK (I think you have 4x2 GB, two dual channel kits).

The stuttering is probably caused by the CPU (you have a very good CPU even for today standards, but that game is notoriously CPU-bound and it needs at least an i5 or FX-6300 to work acceptable).

Do an experiment: open Task Manager, leave it open, game a little and see what is going on with CPU/memory usage. I can guarantee you that: when stuttering occur, the CPU will go 100% (memory usage will hover around 5 GB).

Cristi72

Admirable
Hello,

DDR-2 is not manufactured anymore for public use, so if you have DDR2-800 it is OK (I think you have 4x2 GB, two dual channel kits).

The stuttering is probably caused by the CPU (you have a very good CPU even for today standards, but that game is notoriously CPU-bound and it needs at least an i5 or FX-6300 to work acceptable).

Do an experiment: open Task Manager, leave it open, game a little and see what is going on with CPU/memory usage. I can guarantee you that: when stuttering occur, the CPU will go 100% (memory usage will hover around 5 GB).

Solution