Best Deals: October 13 (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
"hum... my last destkop buid was so long ago, amd fx,nvidia 9800
I so want a new desktop but 1080 are still too expensive"
For what it's worth, 9800 is a much bigger number than 1080.

Flame_Runner_Fast

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
As an owner of the Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard, be warned. This board has an m.2 socket that is 2.0x2, along with the fact you can't use this socket to boot any operating system from an SSD.

Otherwise this motherboard is great for overclocking. I have had it since February.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
In a pre-Black Friday deal two weeks ago where the guy was probably dumping stock, I picked up an i7-6700 (non-K) for R3 700 or roughly USD185 incl shipping in my country South Africa. It's a tray version, so no heatsink. However, even after adding in the cost of a Gammaxx 400 it's still a good deal!! :)

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Article says :
LG Electronics 49UH6030 49-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV $399.

Question :
What's the difference between 4K TV with 4K Monitor? I don't get it why my Samsung UE590 Monitor cost so much more than this TV but only (almost) half of its size (the TV is 49", mine 27"). Am i being ripped off ?

The primary difference between the two is that the TV has a coaxial cable input and hardware to decode TV transmissions. The monitor does not. There are a few other factors, for example the TV will likely have a much higher response time than the monitor. We can't be sure about this because it isn't common for company's to publicize the response time of their TVs. This is important for gaming, though, so they make a point to drive down response time on monitors and advertise it.

Some would say you should never use a TV as a display for your computer, but I personally disagree. I used a 32-inch 1080p TV as the display for my computer for several years, and eventually upgraded to a 42-inch 4K TV to replace it. The lower response time doesn't bother me, but it does some people though. So you should use that to help you decide which to buy.

Same here. I have my 1080p backup gaming rig connected to a 32" HDTV that also has a PS4 connected to it. My primary gaming rig is connected to a 1440p Dell U2713HM monitor (6ms). I have Crysis 3 on both gaming PCs and notice no difference in input lag between it on the 1080p gaming rig and 1440p gaming rig.

What I find interesting is that nobody complains about any input lag on slower response HDTVs for consoles.

I've heard a few people complain about it before, but the way they talked it sounded as though they were just complaining for the sake of complaining. I doubt they could really notice a difference. The majority of console gamers I know that know what display response time is have never found an issue with it.

There have been one or two cases I've run into where I believe there really was an issue with a TV's response time, but those were extremely low-quality Chinese TVs. The 32-inch TV I mentioned before was also from a Chinese company (Emerson), but it performed well so I'd trust the vast majority of flat-screen TVs to work as a computer display.

Flame_Runner_Fast

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015

Ehhh.....it really depends on the TV. I tried playing my Wii U on a 720p 40" TV my dorm has in it's lounge and playing Super Smash Bros Wii U was painful.

If TVs started listing their response times, the price of the better models would probably go up. Or try to find a review site that tested for response times for their review.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Newegg is selling Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury for $240 after rebate. Comparable to $400 gtx 1070. Probably the best bang for the buck GPU there has ever been.

I wouldn't recommend these. I don't have anything against AMD and we have recommended their CPUs on here before, but the FX 9000 series are known for being power hungry and producing an enormous amount of heat. The platform is also 5 years old at this point, as are most CPUs. Some of the APUs are worth recommending at times, but I highly recommend against these.

Matt_82

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016
Anyone actually buy an HP Proliant ML10 V2 and tried hooking up a decent graphics card? From what I've read online: 1) It doesn't have a 6 or 8 pin PCIE power connector and 2) the fans go on full power when an unsupported PCIE device is used. Lastly, does anyone know if there are Win7 or Win10 drivers available for this?

Cheers,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.