Best decision

chevymaster

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Hi, I was wondering to get a 4770, but I need a new psu( i have 300w) what to upgrade my psu to, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182199 a 530 watt psu with 80plus certified, or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003, a corsair 450 watt.
I have Intel core2 quad Q9400 @2.66ghz
8GB DDR2 ram
750GB hdd
integrated
24" 1080p monitor.

Can you tell me any suggestions, OC the 4770, or tell me a good graphics card thats a bout the same price..
Should I overclock the 4770? if I get the corsair, will I have room for OC?
And how good will crysis run?

Honestly, I'd spend the extra 50 bucks to go a step up to the 4870 or 5770 (most likely the 5770). That's going to be better matched to the power of your CPU in the long run.

But if that's the absolute most you're willing to spend, I'd also take the 4850 over the 4770. Although they're close enough that I don't think either one will kill you.

In the past, Rosewill got a rep for selling crappy PSUs. Some of their more recent ones have been tested though, and passed with recommendations (e.g. at jonnyguru). The one you've linked is even newer. I've never seen it tested, but given that it is 80+ certified, it was able to provide its labeled output, and do so efficiently. 80Plus doesn't test waveforms, so that doesn't make it good, but it probably isn't rubbish.
Ultra also has a reputation at the low end of selling garbage.
Corsair, however, and that model in particular, consistently receives excellent reviews. I'm referring to competent technical reviews, with load testing, waveform analysis, and sometimes dissection. Other brands that consistently do well include Antec, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, and Enermax.
Choose a PSU with full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification. 500W-550W is enough for any single video card.

Overclocking results vary. No guarantees are possible, unless its a factory overclock.
The Corsair PSU does have enough power for it.
Depends on the game. Crysis with all eye candy will suck at that resolution. Guild Wars will run great. Solitaire you could play at 1920x1080 without issue :/.

+1 For the Corsair PSU and recommended brands.

As jtt283 states, overclocking is entirely dependent on how good your particular chip is.
Maybe you will get lucky with a golden chip and hit 1Ghz, most likely you will not.
It is all luck of the draw.
As long as the PSU is able to provide enough power to the card, it will have no impact on how far it overclocks.

Overclocked or not, a 4770 will give you pretty good performance at 1650x1080.
As you have a 1080p monitor, however, I would recommend getting a more powerful GPU so you can run your games at native.
The afore mentioned 5770 is a worthwhile upgrade from you planned 4770.