Best desktop for the use

boxiga

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Hello,

I am planning to build a new desktop. I have seen some reviews and forums but i found they are most focused on gamers PC. I am not going to use this PC for gaming, but i would like to do this :
1. Very short boot times (not the 5 min with the laptop i have now !).
2. Il will be using Windows.
3. Be able to open or run multiple windows and/or applications : Ofice applications + web browsing + music or video playback + the antivirus tasks etc. at the same time.
4. Video streaming and playback in HD.
5. I was planning on using it as a media center too. Do not worry about the noise!

For the video streaming, the bottleneck is the internet service speed and not the CPU right ? could any one give me some numbers on that ?

I was thinking between the intel i5 and the AMD x4 or X6. All the reviews i have seen show results on high demand graphic games, but for my apps, is it necessary ?
In order to perform as a media center, do I really need a graphic card ?

Thankyou for the comments.

the_creed4

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Before i post some parts, do you have a specific budget?

And the bottleneck is the internet service, but the GPU can also affect video streaming. AMD is cheaper and you can get a decent system for cheap, but if you prefer intel (especially an i5) than it will be a bit more expensive

boxiga

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Hi, that was quik ! thanks.

I would like to keep it under 1000 USD, but if some parts make a diference and worth it, i will go for it for a bit more. So for the use i am going to give to the system, intel would be better? I mean, the diference woult be noticeable in comparison to AMD? I do not really prefer one over the other, is just that after reading so many revews and benchmarks and posts it seems to be a matter of what you do with the pc and eachone seems to have his own view.
For me, it is important that I can use the computer comfortably with the type of use i will give to it and that it will be able to perform easily an not just in the limit of failure...or to start loosing quality, for instance.
Thanks again

boxiga

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Hi, No. I could do it for fun, with the family videos, once in a wile, but it is not the intended use. I just want something that will last and perform for several years. And that i would be able to upgrade or add a part without having to rebuild. For the streaming and media center type of use, for instance, I would like to ad a video card, if necesary, to playback HD video to a TV or add a TV tuner card, at least knowing the CPU is going to handle it.

you can get well under $1000 for a basic internet PC. I'd recommend a Llano build

A6-3650 w/ HD6530D: $119.99
AS Rock H75M-HVS motherboard: $69.99
Kingston Hyper X 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM: $36.99
OCZ Solid III 60GB GB SSD: $89.99
Seagate 1 TB HDD: $129.99
Asus BluRay Drive/DVD burner: $57.99
Rosewill R102 Case: $29.99
Evercool 120mm fan: $7.49
Seasonic SS-300ES 300W PSU: $39.99

this is $482.41, plus shipping.

optional items:
Rosewill PCI Wireless N Adapter: $9.99
AverMedia AverTVHD Duet: $69.99

which gets you wi-fi and the ability to watch HDTV (and record a second channel)

TRENDING THREADS