Best DX10 fast-memory card for ~$150?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jliverance1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Just got my old gaming rig running again, and looking to upgrade the current 7900gs to something a bit more capable. In catching up with the graphics card world, it appears that DX11 is now on the scene, and I'm not sure if I should be looking for a newer DX11 card, or be setting my sights a generation or two older, in search of more raw power. At the same time, I'm not a power user, and would like to keep my system as balanced and bottle-neck free as possible.

Rig is a Phenom x3 @ 2.1 ghz on a AM2+ mobo, 4gb DDR2 in Win7. 500 Watt psu. Current graphics is a 256-bit 7900gs with 256mb of gddr3.

I've been looking at the HD 5770, but I'm concerned about the slow memory bus. Additionally, I'm not really that concerned with DX11 anyways, as I probably won't be investing tons of money into this computer (I aim for $3-400 every couple years, always leaving me 2-3 generations behind on the GPU). This leaves me with thinking picking up a cheaper, more powerful DX10 card would produce the best results at the time, like a 4770 or similar.

Games I'd like to run are BFBC2, upcoming Witcher 2, Bioware rpgs, Shogun 2, GTA4... Don't need to max out Crysis, but I do want to be running at a resolution of *1050, which means more graphic memory.

So, based on the DX considerations, and the cpu bottleneck, what are my best options? I'm open to suggestions about the processor as well. Cheers.

Solution
I still believe anything over a 5770 will be seriously bottlenecked by your CPU.
That means 4890,GTX460 i wouldn't reccomend unless you O.C. your prossesor.

Your understanding is not correct. The HD5770 uses DDR5 memory which means a 128-bit bus is not a significant concern on a card of its caliber except perhaps when crossfired. The actual performance of the card is equal to or slightly better than the HD4870 at this point including the resolutions you mentioned. If the HD5770 struggles at high resolutions it will much more likely be because it lacks the graphical processing power rather than anything having to do with the memory. There's no reason to get an HD48xx card instead unless you find a great deal of some sort(perhaps the HD4890 doug mentioned?) and don't particularly care about power efficiency/DX10/eyefinity/etc.
That said the best card for $150 is the GTX 460 768mb which is significantly faster than the HD5770(about 25%) and overclocks a very large amount as well. This is quite a deal with the rebate, free games, factory OC and great cooling;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127519
It will actually be of questionable benefit vs an HD5770 on your current CPU but once you upgrade it will be well worth the extra money.

residentdean

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I have a bfg gtx 285 for sale. I can sell it to you for $100, it was the second fastest direct 10 card. It is faster than the raedon 4890 and the 4870. Also If I were you I would almost save your money and purchase a new cpu and mobo. It's time for an upgrade

D

Deleted member 362816

285 for sale hummmm, pm me some pictures of the card.

jliverance1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Thanks for all the input everyone. Just as I was beginning to lean towards the gtx, a friend offered to sell me a pair of xfx 5770s in the near future as the new 6900s are dropping. Taking into account the money saved, I'll take the performance hit.

In the meantime, I'm looking at the yet-unreleased Phenom II X4 840 mentioned in this month's best gaming cpus, (really an Athlon without L3). Hopefully that becomes available on newegg within the next week so I can order one with my student loan money. It's not wildly overclockable, but it's 3.2ghz for $100.

Not all AM2+ boards can use all AM3 processors. It is also possible your board can handle the new chip but needs a BIOS update to do so. Be sure to confirm your board can use whatever specific processor you decide on.
That said be aware of what you are getting with the 840. It may be called a Phenom II but the fact is before this chip the difference between an Athlon II and Phenom II was that the latter had L3 cache. The 840 lacks L3 cache. What does that mean? The 840 is actually an Athlon II with slightly higher clocks which can be achieved on the other Athlon IIs with a simple overclock. So don't think you are really getting a Phenom II in the traditional sense; this is just a marketing maneuver by AMD.

I would get the Phenom ii x 4 970.It is the only quad core AMD made that can unlock to a six core.
But with all this new techonoly coming out from both AMD and Intel.I think it is best to wait for the Bulldowzer to come out from AMD.A new line of proessors will really lower some prices for AMD's old generation and maybe for some of Intel'l Sandy Bridge.

cthunder067

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
True but even with Bulldowzer coming and AMD's new line of processors. It wouldn't hurt or set the OP back. The best case scenario for Bulldower and the AMD to come out is 5-6 months. Which the OP probably wouldn't upgrade for another 6 months waiting for the prices to drop. Feel free to current me if my logic is flawed.

jliverance1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
@ jyjjy: As I mentioned, I'm well aware of the fact that it's really just an Athlon II, reason I'm looking at it is that it's the highest clock speed on an Athlon (3.2ghz), for $20 less than the current fastest (at 3.1ghz.) As for the BIOS, I've checked and the manufacturer does have updates available.

Not gonna wait for Bulldozer, as Q2 could mean anywhere between March and June/July.

If it unlocks then sure but it is a risk. I can't seem to find it now but I once saw a thread somewhere dedicated to the topic of the success rate of unlocking AMD chips and it was about 80% for the 550. I'd probably give up the 2mb of L3 to make sure I'm not in that other 20% myself.