Question Best editing PC build in 2019

Mar 4, 2019
I'm building a new editing computer and I need something pretty powerful since I edit music videos that are really visual effects heavy. My current computer is a prebuilt gaming pc I spent $2000 on and it's not cutting it anymore.

I went to Micro center and explained what I needed with my list of parts in mind and someone working there came up with this list for me:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9GCHcY
Intel - Core i9-9940X 3.3 GHz 14-Core Processor
Corsair - H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus - Prime X299-Deluxe II ATX LGA2066 Motherboard
Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 128 GB (8 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Seagate - IronWolf 14 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card
Corsair - Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Intel Optane Memory M10 Series (64Gb, M.2 80Mm Pcie 3.0, 20Nm, 3D Xpoint) Generi
Total comes out to $5569

I'm willing to spend that much since videography is my full time job, I'd just like to know if that build looks good or if I should change out any parts. The guy who made the list seemed to know what he was talking about but I just want to confirm it with someone before I drop that much money on a computer. Also, here are some of the parts I originally had in my list that he told me to switch out:
Samsung - 860 Evo 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Corsair - H100i 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Intel - Core i9-7980XE 2.6 GHz 18-Core OEM/Tray Processor

If anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know!

kanewolf

Titan
You probably will NEVER use 128GB RAM. You don't need a 2080 graphics card (based on your use-case). An Optane is a waste of money. Windows PRO won't significantly benefit you. Microcenter is trying to pad their commission, IMO.

You need to determine how much CPU the software you use, can utilize. Many times, more than 8 cores is wasted, and you would be better off with fewer higher clocked CPU cores.

Mar 4, 2019
You probably will NEVER use 128GB RAM. You don't need a 2080 graphics card (based on your use-case). An Optane is a waste of money. Windows PRO won't significantly benefit you. Microcenter is trying to pad their commission, IMO.

You need to determine how much CPU the software you use, can utilize. Many times, more than 8 cores is wasted, and you would be better off with fewer higher clocked CPU cores.
I was told they didn't get commission but I still kind of had that feeling. The reason I thought that graphics card wouldn't be a bad idea is because they used one in this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xmXM_XMS4

So I just assumed they knew what they were talking about. I just re-watched that video though, and what you're saying about the CPU matches up with what they said so I'll keep looking at other options for that.

JJoner

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
If you are using premier more cores are better than clockspeed in most cases. A 9900k will get trounced by a 9940x in premier. Also premier uses GPU acceleration as far as I'm aware so a beefy GPU will dramatically increase performance and I'd assume the same is true for after effects.
I'd agree with the person above and say 128 GB of ram is a waste. 32 should be fine but 64 is probably safer. If you do go for lower capacities make sure you are using 4 sticks for quad channel or else you are paying for a feature you won't use.
Also I'm not familiar with the power consumption of the x299 chips but I feel like 750w is really pushing it. I would go with 1000w just to be safe.
Also optane is a waste because you won't be bottlenecked by your storage in video production.

WildCard999

Titan
I was told they didn't get commission but I still kind of had that feeling.

The sales staff does earn commission while other staff doesn't.
WeO3KAI.png

As for the build you could save quite a bit of cash by changing some parts out. From the video a secondary PC was built and showed only a 10% slower speed while being much cheaper, this build used the 9700K, 32gb RAM & a RTX 2060.
https://www.schoolofmotion.com/tutorials/after-effects-computer?ref_id=ae-comp-yt-dsc

Mar 4, 2019
If you are using premier more cores are better than clockspeed in most cases. A 9900k will get trounced by a 9940x in premier. Also premier uses GPU acceleration as far as I'm aware so a beefy GPU will dramatically increase performance and I'd assume the same is true for after effects.
I'd agree with the person above and say 128 GB of ram is a waste. 32 should be fine but 64 is probably safer. If you do go for lower capacities make sure you are using 4 sticks for quad channel or else you are paying for a feature you won't use.
Also I'm not familiar with the power consumption of the x299 chips but I feel like 750w is really pushing it. I would go with 1000w just to be safe.
Also optane is a waste because you won't be bottlenecked by your storage in video production.
on pc partpicker it says the total watts of this build is around 526W, shouldn't I be good with 750? Also I was told that the optane would boost the speed of the HDD and make files load faster, is that not true?

Also I may get 2 m.2's 1 to store the OS and the other to store my programs. one that 500GB and one that's 1TB, do you know if storing some media on one of those temporarily is a bad idea?

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well it is true that optane will boost the speed of HDD, and going for a 1000W power supply would be much safer, you never know what could happen.
i would prefer to go with optane and a 1000W power supply just in case, and i agree with both of them that 128GB of ram is waste of money 64 would be a much better choice IMO.

Mar 4, 2019
Well it is true that optane will boost the speed of HDD, and going for a 1000W power supply would be much safer, you never know what could happen.
i would prefer to go with optane and a 1000W power supply just in case, and i agree with both of them that 128GB of ram is waste of money 64 would be a much better choice IMO.
Thanks, and I agree, I'll probably go with Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

Mar 4, 2019
I think you could probably be able to overclock them to 3000MHZ? if am wrong someone correct me please.
Anytime.
everyone I've talked to says 2666 is the most I'd need, anything more isn't going to see a noticeable speed improvement. If I wanted 3000 I'd just spend the extra $50 instead of trying to overclock lol

TRENDING THREADS