[SOLVED] Best Fan Curve (Bios or Software?)

LUCKASS

Commendable
Aug 8, 2017
Hello, and sorry for my bad English !
Last week I finally built my config, but I really don't know what fan curve to apply to my CPU since the Aorus Software have different stock curves than the Aorus Bios itself.
Anyone could tell me which fan curve would be the best for my config, and is it better to set the curves directly onto the bios or using a third party software ?
As for my build I got the 9900k stock, cooled by the Cooler Master ML120R, and 4 Corsair LL120 fans in the In Win A1.

For now I have 2 intakes (bottom) and 2 exhaust fans (rear and side), but I plan to change the rear fan for intake (pushing to my AIO radiator) instead of exhausting (pushing to my AIO radiator).

Here's a pic if you want to check.

As for my current temps I got 40°C to 45°C at idle, and 70°C max in game
For my GPU I use Afterburner since the stock curves stop the fans below 30°C, but has a weird sound when activate/deactivate every few seconds, so I set up 40% all of the time.

EDIT: I did the change, and make the Radiator Fan as intake and it reduced my idle to 32 to 36°C and while gaming to 60-65°C

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Solution
The proof is in the pudding, so they say. So if the temps drop significantly by strapping the fans to your back, I'd say leave the fans strapped to your back. Yes, that's an exaggeration but you get the point. What works, is hard to disagree with. I would however make sure that just because it works well for the CPU temps, that it is not adversely affecting the temperatures of any OTHER hardware such as the graphics card, memory, motherboard or storage devices.

You can download and run HWinfo, choose the "sensors only" option when you start it up after installation and then scroll down to the various components to take a look at any thermal sensor information that is available.

LUCKASS

Commendable
Aug 8, 2017
I would ask you to have the fan curve set up in BIOS. How are all the fans connected? If they're on one PWM fan header run off a PWM splitter, then you can have all fans operate per the CPU's temps.
The 4 fans are connected to 2 PWN Fan header by 2 splitter, and within the bios (or even software) I can already choose to operate by the CPU temps.
At first I connected the fan on the radiator to CPU FAN, and the pump to a fan header, to have the pump at 100% all time but it didn't worked.
So I plugged my pump to the CPU Fan and set up at full speed in BIOS.

Last edited:
So, a few problems I notice with your intentions.

One, rear exhaust fan locations should NEVER be configured as intakes. Ever. At all. Period. Never, never, never. Ok? Don't do that.

If you want to use the cooler in an intake configuration, which is fine, good even, then move it to the front right location on the side below the power supply, or in the bottom, if it will fit in either of those locations. If it will not, then leave it where it is as an exhaust.

Honestly, looking at that case in general AND your configuration, I think I'd probably say you're going to have to leave it as is. You have one exhaust, although not a very ACTIVE one, through the power supply, and then one through your AIO. I'd leave those bottom locations and the side location below the power supply, as intakes. You are a lot more balanced that way. Worst case, I guess you could TRY the rear as an intake since that has an unusual configuration anyhow, and see how they compare, but I think you'll revert to how it is now in the end.

And using the BIOS is always the best way to control fans unless it's a component like one of the Corsair AIO units that requires the controls to be done through the link software.

Reactions: LUCKASS

LUCKASS

Commendable
Aug 8, 2017
So, a few problems I notice with your intentions.

One, rear exhaust fan locations should NEVER be configured as intakes. Ever. At all. Period. Never, never, never. Ok? Don't do that.

If you want to use the cooler in an intake configuration, which is fine, good even, then move it to the front right location on the side below the power supply, or in the bottom, if it will fit in either of those locations. If it will not, then leave it where it is as an exhaust.

Honestly, looking at that case in general AND your configuration, I think I'd probably say you're going to have to leave it as is. You have one exhaust, although not a very ACTIVE one, through the power supply, and then one through your AIO. I'd leave those bottom locations and the side location below the power supply, as intakes. You are a lot more balanced that way. Worst case, I guess you could TRY the rear as an intake since that has an unusual configuration anyhow, and see how they compare, but I think you'll revert to how it is now in the end.

And using the BIOS is always the best way to control fans unless it's a component like one of the Corsair AIO units that requires the controls to be done through the link software.

Thanks for your answer !

I tried this configuration yesterday : 3 intake (2 bottom + 1 rear (radiator)) and one side exhaust, and it significantly dropped my temps by 10°C !
So I really don't know what to think about this, are the Corsair LL120 that good ? I mean, at full speed I could hardly feel the "wind" of it (I verified that the fan are in the correct side)

The proof is in the pudding, so they say. So if the temps drop significantly by strapping the fans to your back, I'd say leave the fans strapped to your back. Yes, that's an exaggeration but you get the point. What works, is hard to disagree with. I would however make sure that just because it works well for the CPU temps, that it is not adversely affecting the temperatures of any OTHER hardware such as the graphics card, memory, motherboard or storage devices.

You can download and run HWinfo, choose the "sensors only" option when you start it up after installation and then scroll down to the various components to take a look at any thermal sensor information that is available.

Reactions: LUCKASS
Solution