Question Best fan for older case

adam_245

Commendable
May 25, 2017
Last edited:
What motherboard are you running and are you currently running those fans directly off molex power via the adapters? Does your motherboard have PWM fan header or do you have, or intend to get, a fan hub or controller of some type?

Are you also running the original 80mm fans or are you only running the 4 x120mm fans? Did you mod the case yourself to accept those 120mm fans?

adam_245

Commendable
May 25, 2017
Msi 970 gaming motherboard
CPU Fx 8530 Black Edition 4.0ghz
GPU Geforce 1070

I am running two 120mm off sysfan 1 and 2, which are both PWM. I'm not using 80mm fans. It only had two 80mm fans in its day, so I did some hole cutting and added the 120mm fans. It was a bare case when I got it, plus some bits. I'll try to upload a photo later if possible.

Last edited:
Are you worried about aesthetics or is this a purely performance and noise weighted issue for you?

Are those Sickleflow fans not doing what you need them to do or is it that they are simply too loud?

For what should, to anybody who knows about fans, be obvious reasons, Noctua is the brand that first comes to mind if performance and low noise levels are primary concerns.

I'd put two of these as intake:

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-F12-chromax-Black-swap-Premium-Grade-Quiet/dp/B07654PNFQ

And two of these as exhaust (Or you can use four of the NF-F12's above):

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-S12A-PWM-chromax-Black-swap-Premium-Grade/dp/B07657VBQQ

adam_245

Commendable
May 25, 2017
I originally bought these for aesthetics when I was using a Cooler Master Haf Evo Lan Box. That ended up being a real pain swapping parts though. Nice airy box and the green leds looked quite nice through it. Unlike this case that used 2x80mm fans, and air flow wasn't as a of a big concern as it is now. I was working on cable routing over the weekend and just decided to get new fans and go for performance over prettiness. Also a little noise isnt a huge issue, since it is air cooled. This time I would ask more experienced builders for fan advice.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS