Best fan/heatsink for LGA 1366

reddwarf45

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I just got a EVGA X58 Classified and an Intel quad core I7-950 3.06ghz. Speed Fan says my GPU temp is around 60-70c when under load, from what I can tell this is somewhat high. I searched newegg but not many people seem to be buying non stock fans for the LGA1366 socket. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good CPU fan/heatsink?

Thanks

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Here is a round-up of the best thermal compounds available: 80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test, just pick any of them on the page I lined you to. One thing to consider though, and this is my personal preference, that they are not elecrically conductive and do not have a curing time before they reach peak efficentcy. I would go for the Artic Silver 5, OCZ Artic Freeze, or ARCTIC COOLING MX-2.

Here are some coolers I recommend also, in no particular order:
1. Prolimatech Megahalems
2. Noctua NH-D14
3. Scythe Mugen 2
4. Thermalright Venomous-X
5. Cogage Arrow
6. Tuniq Tower-120 Extreme

You may also want to check out this website: http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

CPU Cooler Review Sites:
Hardware Canucks
FrostyTech
BenchmarkReviews

You may also want to give this thread I made on the same topic about a month ago a look over: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262386-29-which-heatsink

reddwarf45

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Cool, thanks I'll start with that then. Another heat related issue is that with the new mobo and CPU my GTX 285 seems to be running hotter as well, reaching temperatures of 80c before I manged to get it to stay around 72 with the occasional high of 78. Would it be advisable to get another fan for that as well? It was never a problem untill now. For cooling I have 2 front intakes, and one rear extractor, and the top of the case has holes to allow heat to rise.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hey, reddwarf45.

If you are concerned about your GPU temp or just want to lower them a bit, you can always use a fan controlling software to speed up the fan from what it is normally running at. You may have gotten software with your GPU that can raise the speed or I belive that MSI Afterburner can do the same also. Either way turning up the fan speed is always an option, you just have to balance how much coolin gpower you want and how much noise you can handle. :)