Best fm2/fm2+ CPU for gaming

Lesle87

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
Looking for a CPU to replace my A8-6600k. I know there's the A10 series and Athlon X-4 series, but which is better for gaming? Are there any other series of CPU's I am missing for FM2/FM2+?

Current specs:
A68HM-E33 V2 - MOBO
A8-6600K - CPU
EVGA 1050 ti - GPU

Games: TF2, Overwatch, H1Z1, Diablo 3. Playing games on lowest possible settings. I love ever molecule of FPS I can get.

Solution
There is no meaningful CPU upgrade you can make with that mobo. If you insist on getting another FM2(+) CPU, the best would be an X4 880K. But even that is outperformed by a $60 Pentium G4560.

The A10s are the same as X4s except with a higher price tag and integrated graphics which you won't be using anyway.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
There is no meaningful CPU upgrade you can make with that mobo. If you insist on getting another FM2(+) CPU, the best would be an X4 880K. But even that is outperformed by a $60 Pentium G4560.

The A10s are the same as X4s except with a higher price tag and integrated graphics which you won't be using anyway.

Solution
That is a very easy answer: NONE OF THEM

At an A8 none of these cpus will offer you a significant increase in performance.

Money will be MUCH better spent getting out of the fm2 hole as the BEST, the 880k, can not match a haswell (so 3 generation old) i3.

$180 will get you a pentium g4560+b250 motherboard + 8gb ddr4 ram. This will be better today then an 880k, and actually provdie you with an upgrade path in the future as dropping an i5 or i7 in it will show big gains.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
H1Z1.... Horribly optimized and halfass upgraded to DX11... Even current gen CPU's will give lackluster FPS in this title.
TF2, Overwatch and Diablo 3.. These are not highly demanding and a A8 overclocked with RAM speed 1866mhz and above" will suffice with settings Medium or higher. Your not going to see 60+ FPS but the input lag and latency will be low enough to compete.

A 880K over a A8 6600K gives you increased memory bandwidth but in gaming terms that only adds up to maybe a 4% increase in FPS.. not worth the price really.

I will agree with the posts above me, a g4560 kicks the shit out of all FM2+ CPU's in just about every game out.