[SOLVED] Best Free Antivirus and are they any good

Aug 21, 2021
Hi
Looking for views on which free antivirus packages are best and why. Also are these good enough of is it best to upgrade for a paid package?
Currently use the free Panda Dome and has been fine for last 18 months.
Cheers.

I used various versions of norton for many years until it got heavy on resourses.
For the past 5 years i have used the paid for version of karspersky.
I once tried macafee but dumped it because on more than 1 occasion it missed items that antimalware and defender found.

I also use defender but i dont have it running in the background i just use it to do a scan once a week

Reactions: Kernowsims

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Tomsguide puts Windows Defender at #3 in the free category, puts Kapersky Cloud in the top slot. I've not gotten a virus on my systems in about 5 years. Windows defender let something slip through a vimeo link back then, but it was only a few minutes to kill it with Bleeping Computers' ComboFix. And maybe another 5 or more years of smooth sailing before that.

My father used to get viruses about once a year when using McAffee, AVG. Once he switched to Windows 7 and Defender all the common viruses stopped. Having it update automatically and run regular scans is probably the real help there.

Thriliya

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Kaspersky Cloud Free is the best one available out there right now. Been using it for a year and never been satisfied like that with any other av software. I've used Eset 32, Bitdefender too. But will always recommend Kaspersky ;)

TRENDING THREADS