Question best fx 8350 Cooler

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
On my (several) FX-8350 I had and those I OC'ed, I managed 4.7GHz with both a 212 EVO push-pull and a Corsair H60 120mm AIO. But I was lucky enough to have good silicone. If I had to recommend a cooler it would be one of the 240mm AIO coolers. The Corsair h100i comes to mind... at a minimum. Getting the FX-8350 to the same speed as the 220W FX-9590 usually puts it at an even higher wattage than the FX-9590. And generating more heat.

DavidM012

Distinguished
The fx 8350 at 4.6ghz will equal the 9590 on cpu-z bench marks and you can get it there with an air cooler and the scythe fuma rev b. is about £55 and benches the same as a noctua nh-d15 though the fans are noiser (49dbA) and you could do better than 4.6ghz depending on the silicon lottery. Chassis clearance/compatibility on the fuma is 150mm. It will at least equal the aio.

Power consumption under load can be up to 420 watts alone on the 8350 on some direct x 11 & 12 games at 1080p compared to say, a ryzen 2600 which is about that overclocked with a gpu like 1080gtx so you will need a chunkier expensive quality psu to run the 8350 overclocked, like 750 watts to accomodate a gpu as well and that would still be running the psu at over 50% capacity.

Where you can get away with a quality 550 or 620w psu on a ryzen 2600 +gtx.

Last edited:

SHMILY

Great
Mar 1, 2019
hswelectronics.com
FX8350 @ 4.7G. The options you have are water-cooled, and high-end air-cooled. Water cooling may have leak problems, so I usually don't sell it. High-end air-cooled and heavy, as Dark Lord of Tech said, you need a good motherboard.The power supply of the motherboard should be good, and the weight should be endured.

DavidM012

Distinguished
At default clock speeds the 8350 pulls up to 220w under high load gaming but that can double with an overclock to 450w peak power, and you can get some power spikes even at the default. The rx 570 is 168w. That combined power draw is 618.

I'm seeing some recommendations for a 620w or 650w here and here but it means the psu will be running close to 100% capacity under load when overclocked paired with the rx 570. She'll shake apart, cap'n!

Right now the best thing you could do is turn off 2 or even 4 cores in the bios and treat it as a 6350 or 4350. The additional cores and threads won't make any significant impact on gaming since most games only use one or two threads though they are moving in the direction of multithreaded.

It can still be overclocked with only 4 cores active to bump the single core performance and the power consumption will be more within the limits of your current psu. I overclocked my 4350 to 4.8ghz on my cruddy 500w psu for 3 years without any problems. But an 8350, apart from not making any significant performance difference, killed a cruddy aerocool integrator 850w in less than a month.

The fuse in the plug went when I woke up the pc one day so I removed it from the system, switched it on and it went bang.

Besides which, the overclock doesn't seem to do all that much either. If you can bench press 30kg instead of 25kg it's still weak.

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
No that's a poor quality unit. It will die. Antec, Seasonic, Evga, Superflower, some models of Corsair, search the forums for recommends US prices are better than uk. There's some lists somewhere but it's out of date, in the psu section. There's no way around searching for a decent price on a quality psu unless someone else volunteers a suggestion I don't know them off the top my head.

I might be getting my sums wrong on the power consumption the article may be stating power consumption with cpu+gpu my estimate of the 4350 overclocked was 180watts double that for an 8350 as it has double cores for 360w +160w gpu is 520w so you can get away with a 650w but then your prices might be fine for a 750w where you are so scout around & check they are recommended models by simply entering it in the search box at the top of the page.

It's still all pretty close to the margins so you wouldn't be able to add another gpu in sli, for example. Or xFire on Amd.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Avoid. Thot so. Turn off 2 or 4 cores until you can afford a quality unit. And don't overclock! Also have no idea what you intend to do later, add another gpu? in which case 850-1000w quality unit is really out of your price range. Nice fx board with m.2 but even entry level ryzens are way ahead of a fx on bench scores. Odd buy for someone who can't afford a psu.

DavidM012

Distinguished
I wasn't suggesting it would burn his house down. Poor quality units will die under the load of an fx 8350 and dmg pc components. The budget option simply isn't an option and it isn't the economical option. Furthermore it isn't all that stressy to port a relatively new psu (and cooler) to a new build. One with a 7 or 10 year warranty is worth every penny. If you buy a sub standard psu your pc will simply shut down one day, probably trip your mains rccb or circuit breaker and cause a headache.

As it stands I think the guy is already spending too much on the fx build when it might be more straightforward to simply build a entry level ryzen, surpass the overclocked fx cpu score and stick with the existing 500w evga psu.

Overclocking the fx is a 'mare and an entry level ryzen 3 is anticipated at $99. With a 50w tdp the power consumption will be hugely less and will easily exceed the fx in anything, at default speed. And it won't need another cooler, it would be likely perfect with the amd cooler.

Though you'll need a different board and ddr 4 mem for it, and the resale value of fx boards will be nothing. You'll have a lot of difficulty getting rid of an fx board at that sort of price. Any by the time you've spent on the psu and cooler you're pretty well into the budget for a new ryzen build, so it's fritter frattering away a better performing pc, that will stand up to new apps. & games far better.

They're banging nails into the coffin of fx and you're banging nails into the coffin of your budget. Or if you want to be surreal, there's always lsd.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019
In terms of cooling I always put the evo 212 as the gold standard for air cooling and unless you plan to overclock it will serve you well. As for liquid cooling...ehh. Personally not a fan of it, the idea of a leak frying components has always mad me steer clear of them, but if you want to you should probably go witha corsair variant. Check reviews, but even the budget ones are usually pretty solid.

I would suggest a Zalman performa, but goodluck finding one after that company went belly up.

corymartin555

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 13, 2015
i will jump to am4 in a year or so but for now my fx 8350 is fine for me... the games i play run 1080p with at least 60 fps ...i just want a bit more power out of it before i spend a lot of money on a new platform so the new motherboard i got and the new psu should get me a 4.5 to 4.6 oc at least