Question Best FX-CPU for gaming?

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
I'm building an economy gaming PC for the kid of a colleague. It will be a FX-rig combined with a HD7970 GPU. I have a couple of leftover CPU's, but I'm a bit uncertain which will be the best for overall gaming...

FX-6120 or FX-4350 (?)

The 6120 has the best overall benchmark, but the 4350 has significant better clock speed and possibly better single core performance...

I have a FX-8350 on the hand, and this would kill the problem, but might require a better GPU (?)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
FX-8350, ignore the GPU. That can always be improved to the point where the CPU can't keep up. Most lower mid-range cards should be fine.

FX-4350 would be the better choice over the FX-6120 if you had to pick between them. That clock speed and generational improvement is worth it. FX CPUs struggled core for core with their counterparts from Intel. If anything like a i3-4130 or something is available, still kind of the better option.

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
FX-4350 would be the better choice over the FX-6120 if you had to pick between them. That clock speed and generational improvement is worth it. FX CPUs struggled core for core with their counterparts from Intel. If anything like a i3-4130 or something is available, still kind of the better option.
Thanks, ...then I'll go for the 4350 for now, and see if I can see to a 8350 upgrade later. I have a kid my selves, planning to take the step from FX to Ryzen. He's running a 8350 now... :)

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
What motherboard will you use? Some had issues with the FX83xx power requirements even though they were supposed to be supported.
Gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud5 ..and the FX-8350 should not be a problem. The kid mentioned is running this CPU with a Gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3, with no issues...

Unless you are upgrade costs are but $5
The project here is to build a working gaming system with the rubble I have present, too the cost of $0... :)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you have all the parts you mentioned, then there is no need to go with the slower CPUs - use the 8350 if the motherboard properly supports it.

I have a FX-8350 on the hand, and this would kill the problem, but might require a better GPU (?)

That is not relevant. It does NOT require a better GPU. There is no way whatsoever with a given GPU that using the faster processor will cause it to perform worse than with a slower processor.

99fx motherboards are good.
Go ahead and use the FX8350.
It has a passmark rating of 8958 with a single thread rating of 1529.
You get 8 threads and a fair single thread performance.
The fx-6120 option is 5754/1285 and the FX-4350 would be 5342
The HD7970 is going to be the limitation for fast action games.

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
Each will be out-framed by one of the least expensive $69 R5-1600 (or even an Intel i3 for that matter) no matter how high either is clocked...
Well, I'm not a gamer, but now I have mounted the FX8350 from the gaming-kid. He did run this CPU in pair with a new RX590 Fatboy, and said it was a significant inprovment in gaming. Now he has uprgraded to a Ryzen rig (R7 1800x), and of course taken the Fatboy in to the new rig...and left me with the FX8350...paired with Asus HD7970 Directcu II 3GB, and things run smoodly...

I did a FutMark benchmark. I don't know if this is an ok score, but compaired with other scores/same resolution, it's not to bad for a "junk rig" I beleive. No overclocking...Score 4916 / FPS 82 / Res 1280 x 720

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, I'm not a gamer, but now I have mounted the FX8350 from the gaming-kid. He did run this CPU in pair with a new RX590 Fatboy, and said it was a significant inprovment in gaming. Now he has uprgraded to a Ryzen rig (R7 1800x), and of course taken the Fatboy in to the new rig...and left me with the FX8350...paired with Asus HD7970 Directcu II 3GB, and things run smoodly...

I did a FutMark benchmark. I don't know if this is an ok score, but compaired with other scores/same resolution, it's not to bad for a "junk rig" I beleive. No overclocking...Score 4916 / FPS 82 / Res 1280 x 720

At 1280 x 720, that GPU is good enough. The only complaint I'd have about it is power consumption, but, it's a product of its time. For a junk rig, though - not bad at all!

Reactions: aaad