Best Gaming Build under $1600 CAD? [Still need help]

JackBlack

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Hey, I'm new to this forum and I'm thinking about building my first gaming PC. My budget lies around 1500 CAD (No OS, Peripherals / Accessories ) and I'll be using this computer for Gaming most of the time. Can you guys recommend me something? I'd appreciate a PCPartPicker list.

Games I will be playing: Planetside 2, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty series, Crysis Series, ArcheAge, WildStar, FarCry Series, Ghost Recon Phantoms and a few other games.

I want a '' future proof '' build.

The must is having either a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler or Corsair H100i CPU Cooler and maybe i7 processor such as Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz or whatever you think is best.

(for the GPU I was thinking GTX 780 / 780 Ti) nVidia is the brand I trust the most when it comes to GPU. I'm also not sure whether to take a SSD or HDD.

I will also be using two monitors but only one for the games I play and the second one for multi-tasking other things, etc...

Thanks in advance for all the replies! :D

Solution

SnakeGTX

Distinguished
Just about the best build that you are going to get for C$1600

PCPartPicker part list
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($333.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($104.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($160.24 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($73.95 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.97 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($549.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($58.02 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1541.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

This build will be able to easily max any game on 1080p with good FPS. The only way this PC could be better is getting the Ti version 780. Other than that, the PC is great!

game junky

Distinguished
Future proof is a fake concept - playing games at high quality consistently for years requires CPU and GPU upgrades every 3-5 years. It's just a fact

Only you can decide how much you're willing to extend the life of your parts - an i5 quad core processor is more than sufficient to play the most demanding games on the market and current gen games really aren't optimized to use more than 2 cores/4 thread. Will games in 3 years be able to better take advantage of 4 or more processing cores - only time will tell.

For my builds, I spec out parts I think will be enjoyable to use for the next 5 years and then I spend the rest of my budget on my GPU. That's going to be the piece with the highest depreciation because of the initial cost of high-end graphics cards. I have an eVGA 770 ATX superclocked with 4GB of video memory and it have destroyed everything I have thrown at it with a smile on it's face. Even that card will likely not be capable of running the next generation of battlefield at ultra - it's just a fact of the industry. So, your next step up is a 780 or a 780ti which will let you enjoy gaming in the clouds for the next 3 years at the cost of your first born.

Based on what you have indicated you want to do now and your budget, this is what I would build:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/JBvVGX

That 4770k is more than enough to game on and you'll be surprised how much you appreciate having a solid state for your operating system files and document/media storage on a traditional hard drive.

JackBlack

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

Thanks for the answer - If I'm willing to invest another 50 bucks or so in a better looking case, can I? (One that will fit all the components, of course) . . . Also some more money on a GTX 780 Ti . . . Would it work with a 750Watts PSU + i7 4770K?

Also, what's the Top 5 best PSU's @750Watts in 2014? I've seen and read too many things about them, I can't really make up my mind. I heard that Corsair PSU's aren't the best quality and tend to get hotter faster than others reducing the life of it.

NOT TO MENTION : I don't really know how OC'ing works so I probably will not be able to OC unless I really spend several hours trying to understand how it works... I don't wanna set fire to my house, you know? In this case I think the Intel Core i7-4790 will be better than any other Unlocked ones since I'm not an expert and don't wanna mess up.

SnakeGTX

Distinguished

I tried to stay in the budget of C$1600, so I chose a basic not interesting case. "Can I?" of course you can, its your PC. Just use PcPartPicker, and it will tell you if the case you have chosen will fit all the components.

The 780 Ti + The i7 will do fine. You can even run a 780 Ti on with just 42A on the 12v rails. The PSU that I picked has about 80A, so almost double the power that you need.

The best 750W PSUs are going to have to SeaSonic, or XFX. The really only trust worthy PSU manufactures are Cooler Master, Corsair, EVGA, SeaSonic, Silverstone, and XFX. Any PSU manufactured by these the I've listed, are going to be good PSUs that aren't going to die out, and blowup any time soon.

Maybe one day you will want to OC your CPU, but then you realize that you chose a none overclockable CPU. If you are sure that you are never going to want to OC, then yea go with the 4790, but if you might want to in the future, then this is your chance to get a overclockable CPU.

Solution

SnakeGTX

Distinguished

Yep, that looks good. Pretty pricey though.

That 780 Ti and the motherboard are really what is putting the price over. If you took another mobo for maybe C$130 instead and maybe get a GTX 780 for C$500. You would be back down to about C$1600.

JackBlack

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

Do you know any good quality motherboard that has good performance like the Asus Maximus VI at the C$130 price that you said? I'm not really an expert with building a PC. The price for the mobo could even go lower as long as it's good quality, durable and good performance overall.

Also, someone has suggested me a 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 due to being the same price as my Western Digital Caviar Black but I'm pretty sure that mine is better quality. Only reason I took that mobo was to match my memory cards, lol... and mostly because it was the most suggested one I've read about. :/

I will probably stick to this GTX 780 Ti, I've always used Ti 's after realizing how much better they are than normal versions... It's +$200 but in my opinion it's worth it.

SnakeGTX

Distinguished

I've never actually heard that a motherboard can improve the performance of you computer. Usually, its just more features ports, and quality of the board (so that it doesn't break soon). The performance of the computer is really all about the CPU and GPU. Anything else isn't really going to improve performance. Like if you have a 5400rpm HD, then yea, getting a new HD would help.

So here is a good motherboard made my MSI. Asus, has been in motherboard business for a while, so I would say that are good quality, but so is MSI. They might be newer to the motherboard manufacturing, but I trust them over Asus (almost). Here is a good motherboard that also fits the color that you are wanting in your build.

Really, Western Digital and Seagate are equal on quality. Its really not going to help in this case, since all hard drives like last forever and have good quality. You can almost cheap out on your hard drive. I suggest that you do go with either a C$60 Seagate/WD 1TB hard drive or for C$85 you could go with the WD Black 1TB/Seagate 2TB.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/xTJ84D
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.50 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($184.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($99.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($734.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.75 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1738.92
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-07 12:08 EDT-0400)

just wait the release of the new i7 4790K soon , i put the i7 4790 just for calculation
thats will be a killer of the killer rig

JackBlack

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

Thanks for the reply... Yes, I am planning to switch for the i7-4790K...

This is the current build: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/txkTzy

There's probably a cheaper motherboard that will give me the same results as that one such as the http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97gaming3

or the http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-fatal1tyz97killer

I'm not sure if there's anything else, though... I will not be overclocking for quite a while and maybe will end up never doing it or even if I do, it's gonna be a really small OC... I also like what you've shown me... Don't get me wrong; I love blue/black design as well but I've changed a few things to fit red/black design even tho it's costing me more... I need to choose a cheaper motherboard/memory cards (Which is stupid with that CPU and GPU)

Also changed the PSU... which in my opinion it's one of the best on the market right now. I'm planning to maybe add a lower GPU such as GTX 560 Ti in the future so I will need two GPU slots on the motherboard and a PSU over 750Watts for that is overkill as I've been told.

JackBlack

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

Is a 7200 RPM HDD good enough?

The motherboard you suggested seems pretty good as well... I need one with 3 fan headers and enough headers for everything that I will have ; in the future I might put a GTX 560 Ti or something under the 600 series so I need a second slot (not SLI)...

I've been told to go with the WD Black 1TB because there's a better warranty on it than the Seagate... and to be honest, I'm a huuuge gamer but not at the point of needing 2 TB, hahah... It might help but I'd rather have a better warranty.

did somes changes...lower price
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/6Mhyqs

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.50 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($154.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($99.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($734.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Pro 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1673.92
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-07 20:05 EDT-0400)

JackBlack

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

The thing is... I want to keep the Corsair Air 540.

It's really beginner friendly for a first build, I love what it looks like and there's more air flow & fans than the previous one that I've said... There's also better cable management space which is a big plus for a beginner.

I like what you've chosen but I'm not sure whether to go with your motherboard + memory cards or my motherboard + memory cards... Also I want SSD + HDD for obvious reasons. I also love red/black colors.

My biggest issue right now is finding a cheaper motherboard than the Asus Maximus VI Hero such as the ASRock
Fatal1ty Z97 Killer or the MSI Z97-Gaming 3 and second issue is a PSU that has the same quality, performance and overall heat management as the EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR... but cheaper... Even tho, you shouldn't go cheap on your PSU.

Leonell12

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

about the case..the NZXT phantom 530 is one of the best cooling cases on the market, its also very very beginner friendly, you could also consider the NZXT h440 (although some cooling compromises are inevitable here)

EDIT: This is a build i did for a friend not so long ago, it has a very similar budget to yours:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($142.98 @ Best Buy)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($27.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1635.83
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-07 20:38 EDT-0400)

JackBlack

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

Meh, I will stick to what I have for now... I will not have the budget for severals months so there's no rush... I will eventually figure out which case I want xD.

My biggest issue right now is finding a cheaper motherboard than the Asus Maximus VI Hero such as the ASRock
Fatal1ty Z97 Killer or the MSI Z97-Gaming 3 and second issue is a PSU that has the same quality, performance and overall heat management as the EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR... but cheaper... Even tho, you shouldn't go cheap on your PSU.

''Also I want SSD + HDD for obvious reasons''

the ssd do not increase the gaming performance at all , the only good things about ssd is the loading speed of the os at the system boot....thats it , if you want to trow away your money? ok

did a new rig..ALL BLACK AND RED!
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/dTNqBm

Motherboard: MSI Z97-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.62 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($99.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($539.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case ($169.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Pro 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1595.77
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-08 08:03 EDT-0400)

JackBlack

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

Hahaha, what I mean by obvious reasons is that I'm a hardcore gamer who spends a lot of time playing xD

I need a lot of storage, that SSD will be filled up pretty fast so I want the HDD to go along with it which is 1 TB so that will be more than enough including the SSD :pt1cable:

Thanks for the build...

Yet another question... I never really understood those '' Series '' thing for GPU's: Dual Classified ACX, Superclocked, Dual FTW ACX, WINDFORCE, DirectCU II, LIGHTNING, TWIN FROZR...

How are they different from eachother?

I only know about the Superclocked ones are factory overclocked... I would rather be doing the overclocking myself just to be safe... Even tho, for a beginner... You can make a mistake and burn it. Lol.

''Yet another question... I never really understood those '' Series '' thing for GPU's: Dual Classified ACX, Superclocked, Dual FTW ACX, WINDFORCE, DirectCU II, LIGHTNING, TWIN FROZR...''

all of this is marketing , that represent all the cooling solution for gpu from each gpu manufacturer
it mean asus / gigabyte / msi etc...... have their own cooling design and technology so
they have all the same nvidia or amd chipset

JackBlack

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

So, techically what should I aim for? Factory superclocked means more cost for a small upgrade of 5-10FPS...

I could do the overclocking myself but it's not too safe as a beginner if you don't know what amount to put when overclocking and what not. :(

Some of those Series are just waaay too costy, I mean... They include better cooling solutions but man... It's like $100 or so more which I do not want, lol.

''Some of those Series are just waaay too costy, I mean... They include better cooling solutions but man... It's like $100 or so more which I do not want, lol. ''

i am agree with you...thoses gpu ares for overclocking purposes , evga like to do this kind of gpu (overclocking)
on my side , i can not see the point for overclocking and take the risky way to damage the hardwares around just for fun
?? , and its not safe to do overclocking when you do not know what you doing

anyways like you said ...all gpu are overclock already by the manufacturer of the gpu ( i do not talk about nvidia and amd here)

just take the cheapest gpu ..but good one like asus , msi , zotac , evga (depend on the model) and thats it

JackBlack

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

Well, it can be safe if you learn more about your specific card... But of course with fans cooling instead of water cooling, as I'm not an expert... I would do a really, really small overclock AFTER learning more and stuff like that... There's no way in the fucking world that I want to fry my GPU. Right now I'm looking if there's any GTX 780 Ti with a price under $800 that is from a trustworthy manufacturer...

Something like this: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-03gp42884kr but even then, this one probably doesn't have better cooling solutions applied to it, so... I'd rather get a normal GTX 780 Ti ...

Of course with the course of time the price will drop on the 780 Ti's, so that's fine since I will not be building my PC for quite a long time xD... I might do an overclock but a really, really small one just to be safe...