Best Gaming Chairs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I know this thread is older but it’s coming time for my chair to be swapped out as I’ve resorted to using duct tape to keep some of the bonded leather from coming off. I think I’ve had this chair for 8-10 years though. But I looked at gaming chairs, however they don’t seem to look the most comfortable, so I think a nice executive type chair is the way to go.

Office chairs.
Nothing else.

Office chairs are designed for year of use, designed to avoid causing problems to your back (as that is a potential lawsuit in more than just the US of A) and are expected to give good value for money or another brand will push you out of the market.

Gaming chairs on the other hand are known to be bad in many aspects (I don't want to start saying all of them because I may get something wrong, I've not tested them myself).

Now, the article is titled "best GAMING chairs" so if we assume the chairs have to be branded as "gaming" then maybe I can give this article a pass.
It is still Horrible and basically suggesting you use something unhealthy, so no pass there.

Reactions: MoxNix

MoxNix

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
So called gaming chairs are overpriced junk. The best gaming chair is a good office chair. Like a SteelCase Leap or Herman Miller Aeron.

MoxNix

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
You can get a used Aeron for under 500 easy and it will prob last you 15 years and nothing really beats them for long term sitting
The Aeron is a very good chair but many of us prefer a Steelcase Leap or Gesture over it. Myself I had an Aeron then I got a Leap and sold the Aeron a month later (for more than I paid for it!).

MoxNix

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
Greetings from Stehekin! I replace my "Command Center Chair" in the basement of my Mothers house every 3-4 years. Naturally buying from Goodwill or the Salvation Army as extra cash has always been a pure luxury and things are not getting any better. Yesterday Goodwill received a new batch of sleek looking executive chairs from the NIKE HQ in Beaverton, WA and based on their latest rounds of layoffs. All of the chairs came in full leather, heavy-duty chair wheels with ball bearings and polyurethane casters. The labels ‘Origami CU Chairs’ still attached. A sales lady with a name-tag Mabel said: “They at $30 each are going like hotcakes and I wonder who had them before as these are clearly for big money people!” Really too bad that I do not have an extra $30 laying around.
I would've bought them all if they'd let me.

Reactions: Tom Sunday

lucas1024

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
I have the Secretlab Titan and it is EXTREMELY uncomfortable - the cushion is super hard. I tried adding cushions on top to soften it but I regret my purchase. I'm using my old office chair again and I'll try to get rid of the Titan. The faux leather is sweaty too.

coloradoblah

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
The Aeron is a very good chair but many of us prefer a Steelcase Leap or Gesture over it. Myself I had an Aeron then I got a Leap and sold the Aeron a month later (for more than I paid for it!).
Yeah, Aeron definitely is more limited on their sizing but for me it’s perfect. Im all about the mesh coolness.

tiggers97

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
The best gaming chairs are no those labeled as "gaming chairs". If anything "gaming chair"=short lived and uncomfortable.
Go to an office supply store, even Costco, and get a good solid office chair. Black, if you prefer "gaming chair' (your butt and backside doesn't care about RGB). It will last way longer, give better support, and ultimately be a better overall value.

vonbose

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
I just can't suggest anyone who isn't stupid rich to spend $500 on a "gaming" chair. I've sat on a Herman Miller Aeron chair for work for the last 11 years. There was no way in hell I was going to spend $1500 on a chair for my gaming setup at home, but I also needed to move past the cheap faux-leather recliner-style office chair that cradled me through my 20s. The best thing I have found is the WorkPro® 1000 Series. It's fully mesh (back and seat), so you can sweat and spill on it. It's durable and comfortable and you can get it for under or around $300 on sale. (I actually got mine for $150 on sale a few years ago.)

Reactions: Order 66

plusev

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2014
"Gaming chairs" :ROFLMAO:

I have to agree that gaming chairs are pure trash. PU bonded leather that breaks down over time, bad ergonomics, and so on, it's simply not worth the money for what you get.

I have a full-featured Aeron remastered that I purchased about a month after it was released, and it still looks brand new. My only complaint is that it sometimes causes my thighs to go numb after few hours of sitting, and going to a brick-and-mortar shop to get a feel beforehand will never give the end user an accurate representation of how comfortable it will be long-term. Moreover, I think if somebody is able to spend a few grand on a PC, then they're able to spend a decent amount on a quality task chair that will inevitably last a lifetime if cared for properly. Steelcase, Herman Miller, and Haworth are all amazing companies.

I went with the Aeron because it's iconic.

plusev

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2014
Which one is the most comfortable for long-spending ?
It's subjective.

I just can't suggest anyone who isn't stupid rich to spend $500 on a "gaming" chair. I've sat on a Herman Miller Aeron chair for work for the last 11 years. There was no way in hell I was going to spend $1500 on a chair for my gaming setup at home, but I also needed to move past the cheap faux-leather recliner-style office chair that cradled me through my 20s. The best thing I have found is the WorkPro® 1000 Series. It's fully mesh (back and seat), so you can sweat and spill on it. It's durable and comfortable and you can get it for under or around $300 on sale. (I actually got mine for $150 on sale a few years ago.)
As a result, you would opt to spend more money in the long term on chairs that break down and end up being replaced. You see, that's something I cannot justify. I also cannot justify neglecting my back health, which is why, on top of spending a decent amount on a quality chair, I also have an adjustable standing desk to help mitigate any potential life-long health issues. I think somebody would have to be foolish to neglect their health, especially with how expensive decent health care is.

Oct 14, 2023
Many of these chairs are so similar, indeed gaming chairs in general, that they likely all come from the same Chinese manufacturer and, are all made as cheaply as possible, with all that implies in terms of quality of design and construction.

As other have suggested, buy a good quality work chair.