Best Gaming CPU for 4-5 Year Longevity System

ROUGHRIDER13

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Hello all,

I'm picking out parts for a new gaming build that I'm looking to get 4-5 years out of with a video card upgrade somewhere in between. My hopes are to not upgrade the processor. My goal is to be playing games like Battlefield 4, FIFA, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed 3, and Need for Speed on reasonable settings (medium) for these 4-5 years.

Originally I decided to go for an i5-3570k, but found that it stretched my budget a little too far. My question is: what are the cheaper alternatives to a 3570k and how good would they be for the next 4-5 years?

From research I've concluded that the 3570k should do what I want, but I'm wondering if alternatives like the FX-4300 or FX-6300 etc. could do what I want as well.

Thanks!

mace200200

Honorable
Your not going to find a CPU that will last for 4 years, but the I5's might come close. The new Vishera FX CPU's aren't bad but, they won't perform as well as an I5. The 8320 comes close, and I think you can find them for around $175 which is a bit cheaper than the I5's.

modelli

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Well, if you want the hardware to last longer, you have to look into the CPU Socket and the MB controller.

So, for the intel side, an Ivey Bridge, with the new 2011 socket, will last much longer. You can trow a 4 Core CPU with lower cycles, and then upgrade in a couple of years for the latest CPU on the same socket and controller. It wouldn't be too different from upgrading the Video Card.

So, depending on what you have you might e able to do a slower upgrade, and only change basics. For example, I have am older Intel Q9550 that I got it almost when it came out, with DDR3, so I'll pull the CPU and MOBO out, and swap to an Intel based on the 2011 socket, and keep everything else. As I go, I will upgrade the Video Card, add memory (I have 8G now), and add more SSDs for the important parts. But the key here, is that I will be able to buy top-of-the-line CPU+MOBO since I will spend the whole budget on those parts (but even if I didn't have memory, I would be OK as DDR is so cheap (http://www.frys.com/product/7354444?site=sa:PC Components Pod:Pod2 16G DDR for 50 Bucks with their XMAS cupon).

Once I need a new upgrade (Video Card as an example which I just did to a GTX660i the week it came out using this budget trick), it will be further along, and my budget will have been rebuilt again. Think about, if you have 10 bucks a week, you end up with 520 bucks at the end of the year. That budget might be enough for you to do a decent upgrade a year, and you keep with an always updated computer to what needs upgrade.

But again, my Q9550 does a lot of work by itself, so I haven;t updated in a while. I was waiting for a socket that was going to be compatible wit next generation CPU, which intel already said the 2011 will be, so now I buy a 2011...

I hope this helps, although doesn't answer you question specifically.

conkerman

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
4/5 years is a bit of an ask.

I change system about every 3 years.

I would still buy an i5k Excellent gaming performance and has plenty of overclocking headroom.

There is always something new coming out in 6 months, don't get analysis paralysis. Buy what's best now and enjoy.

An intermediate GPU upgrade is the most effective way to keep performance fresh.

geekdgreen

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

if you have a microcenter in your city then you can get a i5 3570k for $169.99

iDerekMC

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

i know this is old but the 2600k doesnt last 4 years? is it bad now or low performing? so next year it will be outdated ok xD