Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: September 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poisoner

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I have an i5 760 and it does overclock very well. I got mine to 4.4ghz without even trying.

But you guys missed the i7 950 being only 15 bucks more than the 930.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Tamz_msc[/nom]How could you miss the i7 950?[/citation]

Because this is an article about the best gaming CPU's and anything above an i5 760 is unnecessary and doesn't provide noticeable performance increases

G

The i7 950 price drop should have been the headline of this month
one of the fastest in the world for only 300$
all of the new ones comming are just some more in the landscape nothing more than that

Shivetya

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Guess not much is gonna change aside from 100-200 MHz bumps in speed until Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer hit the market...

KingArcher

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
@ Don Woligroski
At $280 I'd say the core i7 870 is better than core i7 930.
And i7 870 is almost the same performance as i7 950 others have suggested.

Thanks for that sweet CPU Chart on the last page.

edit: my bad, I typed i5 instead of i7. Corrected it

rutoojinn

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]KingArcher[/nom]@ Don WoligroskiAt $280 I'd say the core i5 870 is better than core i7 930.And i5 870 is almost the same performance as i7 950 others have suggested.Thanks for that sweet CPU Chart on the last page.[/citation]

Is that a typo? i5 870? The chipsets are different also. So that will also factor in what you plan on buying. That is either the i5 760 or the i7 870. My final thought they are pretty much in the same tier so saying which one is better than the other doesn't make much sense to me.

rutoojinn

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Damn I can't edit what I post.... I mean when you compare the i7 870 and the i7 930. Finally the i7 950 is ridiculously priced right now. I don't know if this is permanent or on sale but for 300 for the i7 950 that is my choice if I were to start a new system.

jsowoc

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2005
How is the upgradeable processor any different from what AMD does now, with selling you a quad-core for the price of a dual-core?

Except Intel wants to charge money for it...

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
please next time add the cpu BCLK/MULTIPLIER, it's just one more table entry.
it's nice to know how far can you bump teh processor without changing the BCLK.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]Because this is an article about the best gaming CPU's and anything above an i5 760 is unnecessary and doesn't provide noticeable performance increases[/citation]
Yes, but it should be in place of the 930.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i3-gaming,2588-9.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-ii-x3-440-gaming-performance,2619-5.html

look at the far cry 2 and crysis performance, at the first review and then at the second. Both benches conducted with a hd5850 and the phII 720 ~ athlon II x3, same goes for the i7 870 and the 920 The first review clearly shows that a phII x3 @ 2.8ghz (and an athlon x3 3.0ghz, for that matter) produces the same performance as the i7, and sometimes even surpasses it by 1 fps.

Wait, what happens in the 2nd review?

The first review came out by my personal favorite, Thomas Soderstorm, who likes to show things the way they are, even if it means writing a whole article with monotonic graphs all the way.

The second review came right after the first one, clearly manipulating graphics setting - Why would anyone who buys these kind of rigs play far cry 2 at high and not ulrta.. and don't even get me started about the almost complete lack of AA / AF in tomshardware reviews. Why you ask? The less graphical settings, the more cpu difference is shown. This is a joke of course since even a ~300$ gpu, which is a sum most people won't be willing to pay, will bottleneck even the "lowly" athlon II x3 cpu @ maximum settings - again, show me 1 person in this planet who wouldn't want to crank max settings on these kind of rigs.

Further reading on the 2nd article shows the minimum fps, which doesn't really say anything unless you're really into paying ~180$ just for a 10 fps increase on world in conflict (and a slight decrease in stalker) which is a single-player RTS.. Doh..

But why stop there? Now lets see how these cpus fare against each other with hd5870 crossfire configuration. These cards will have no problem playing every single game available at 2560x1600, and even in an eyefinity setup which, by connecting 3 full-hd monitors, can produce more pixels than the 2560x1600 at a lower price, and even get 6 of these monit... Well you know that already! but price is probably not an issue for you if you get 2 5870.. No? Guess not! They only show resolutions up to 2560x1600, again at high settings only which is of course misleading because when they write "high settings" you naturally assume that these are the highest settings possible. Guess not.

(Well this is getting long but I never had the energy to write all this and I started already so... Ok moving on :D)

Last but not least (finally my boss is getting angry at me :p), the article shows the athlon II with dual 5870 and the i7 with a single 5850. The athlon already wins at 2560x1600, but that's where they stop. High settings of course, why cranking it all up?

Finally, my point is - Toms, you could say that the i7-930 is justified if a guy wants to buy a hefty gpu config, but not based on this article like you're just doing. I'm not calling bias or anything, it's just too bad that you didn't show us this data that you showed in the aforementioned artiel and the same data only with the highest graphical settings possible (including AA / AF maxed).

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]...anything above an i5 760 is unnecessary and doesn't provide noticeable performance increases[/citation]

Blatantly false. There are countless charts on this site alone that show a i5-vs-i7 +10fps increase in some games. And when you look at non-mainstream cpu-heavy games such as Football Manager, the effect is even more pronounced.

I swear, this AMD fanboyism must die.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]L0tus[/nom]Blatantly false. There are countless charts on this site alone that show a i5-vs-i7 +10fps increase in some games. And when you look at non-mainstream cpu-heavy games such as Football Manager, the effect is even more pronounced.I swear, this AMD fanboyism must die.[/citation]

Yeah football manager is such an intensive game you can't play it on anything less than a 980x!!! /sarcasm
And regarding your "charts".. Just read my long reply above.

kung lao

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
where is AMD X6?????????
comparable price with intel 750/760, but with 6 cores.........
at multitasking is a killer of 750/760 you know :)
it is an unfair presentation, leaving X6 out........

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
One thing I'd like to see in these articles and also on the best GPUs section is a "future outlook" bit that addresses future models that we know of and if possible a rough timeframe for release. An example would be AMD's Bulldozer line or Intel's LGA 2011 offerings, just so those who have time to wait out their release before an upgrade can get a rough idea of when the "next big thing" might arrive.

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]doron[/nom]Yeah football manager is such an intensive game you can't play it on anything less than a 980x!!! /sarcasm[/citation]
i7-930 here & 20-30% of my FM gameplay is spent on loading screens...CPU use goes to 100% ALL the time...this game will even rape a 980x...

I love ppl who talk crap about stuff they know nothing about!!! /sarcasm

Status
Not open for further replies.