Best Gaming Desktops (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may want to include some commentary up at the top regarding the value proposition, esp. in regards to the Coffee Lake release. It's largely a paper launch at the moment, but assuming availability picks up anyone making purchasing decisions could be in for some serious buyers remorse if they don't take that information into account. Not to mention how Ryzen pricing has been affected.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I'm leaning in the same direction as TMTOWTSAC. Gamers who aren't hardcore computer nerds would be happy with any of these desktops. On the other hand, readers who regularly visit Tomshardware shouldn't buy any of these right now with the advent of Coffee Lake.

lun471k

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
What do you mean when you write "I can't keep up" as a con ? Is it just a joke, or something I don't comprehend ? English is not my mother tongue so I'm not sure if I'm missing the point here :)

Not bad info... on prebuilt systems. But at those prices... I'll continue to build my own.

with current availability of Coffee Lake... waiting for the real supply to get to market... If you absolutely need a new PC within the next month - month and a half, I wouldn't bother waiting. (Depending on Intel, it could be longer) The only real benefit Coffee Lake offers anyway is an improved core count, and it would be pretty difficult to obtain a Coffee Lake CPU at this time anyway.

Reactions: mickrussom
I should clarify. i7 Coffee Lake CPU's as an individual component are either impossible to find or massively overpriced. But Coffee Lake pre-builts are largely available right now. There are i7 8700k systems available to order from most of the companies reviewed in this article, with ship dates of about 2 weeks.

So as a standalone part it was a bit of a paper launch, but system manufacturers did get their shipments and are assembling systems. So for anyone looking at buying a pre-built anyway (the target audience for this article) they should be made aware of the current situation.

I'm impressed and a bit scared at the same time that the Gigabyte BRIX GB-GZ1DTi7-1070-NK has a Geforce 1070 and an i7-6700k with a 400 watt psu.

Nvidia recommends a 500 watt psu minimum for a Geforce 1070.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1070/#specs

At first I thought it was a typo, but Newegg and Gigabyte both confirm the "Flex-ATX (only 12V) 400W" specification.

What makes the "Flex-ATX (only 12V) 400W" so special, besides being small and 12V only, that Gigabyte would choose to use it to power a high end cpu and graphics card?

Commotion

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014
This article is nothing but an advertisement, designed to get clicks that turn into commissions for Tom's. Many of these systems are more than 1 year out of date! No Velocity Micro in this group? You must be kidding! www.velocitymicro.com

Kennyy Evony

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
toms found an opportunity to make easy money by advertising for system builders. There are many not included in this review because they decided not to pay toms hardware for the advertisement toms asking for. Simple. Same thing as Yelp harassing businesses for yelp to post their own fake reviews on your profile or put fake bad reviews on your profile depending if you decide to pay yelp their "29.99" a month they keep calling me about.

BadCommand

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
These prices might have been a reasonable proposition 2 years ago, but at this point you'd have to be a stone cold fool to pay this much for 2 year old GPU technology. Wait (and thereby force Nvidia/AMD) to get their f'ing act together and get the GPU market in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.