[SOLVED] Best gaming GPU for AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Mar 10, 2020
Hi guys, my name is Francesco and I am thinking about upgrading my PC. Right now the weakest link in my system is probably my GPU, but I will let you judge on your own by looking at my PC's specs:

• Mobo: ASRock A320M-HDV R.4
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti
  • RAM: Corsair 16 GB

The reason I'm looking forward to an upgrade is basically because I randomly get some annoying staggering and lags during my gaming sessions. As I believe the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 is way more powerful than the GTX 1050 Ti, I would like to buy something that really boosts my CPU and my whole system. (And, if possible, I would like not to spend too much money!)

Thanks in advance guys

Solution
I tried running DOOM: Eternal with 720p resolution and shadows/details to low, and I was able to get 60 fps firmly.
But, although I was able to play smoothly, after all it was 720p, so the graphics were not as enjoyable as they were at 1080p.

I don't know what PSU I have, but I know it's not very powerful. And for an upgrade - given that the problem is the GTX 1050 Ti - I am willing to spend up to 200 euros.
So here’s a pretty bad explained tear down from me :

Games that’s you will be running (RDR2, Control, DoomE, etc.) are not that cpu intensive, putting that in mind, depending on your psu you have a good area for upgrading.

If I were to recommend anything below or on par with your price range (200 euro), I would...

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Yes the 1050ti is pretty basic, but it is not super-slow. What kind of issues do you experience? Give me an example with game title, fps and resolution.
Do you use 1 stick of Ram? Maybe its not your gpu at all. When I look at your specs the Ram and the motherboard are a bit suspect.

Reactions: Phantomoss
Mar 10, 2020
Yes the 1050ti is pretty basic, but it is not super-slow. What kind of issues do you experience? Give me an example with game title, fps and resolution.
Do you use 1 stick of Ram? Maybe its not your gpu at all. When I look at your specs the Ram and the motherboard are a bit suspect.

I can make you a few examples. The most CPU- and GPU-consuming games I have are Red Dead Redemption 2 and Control, and I run both of them at medium-end settings, and still get some lags.
Also DOOM Eternal: sometimes I get 60 fps, but when I enter an arena with a lot of enemies the fps rapidly drop to 30-40, and sometimes the game itself even staggers when I complete Glory Kills (because of the animations).

For what concerns the RAM, I have 2 sticks X8 GB. I purchased them some weeks ago on Amazon: the model is Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2X8).

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Ok, I thought maybe you would run a single dimm of ram. Hmm ok, the question still remains if you are clearly gpu limited here. You dont want to buy a new gpu just to see the same behavior again.
Lets take doom eternal because its the more optimized game in general. Drop the resolution to 720p and graphic settings like shadows and details to low. Hows your game running now with gpu-limit resolved?

What psu do you have and how much would you want to spend for an upgrade?

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Ok, I thought maybe you would run a single dimm of ram. Hmm ok, the question still remains if you are clearly gpu limited here. You dont want to buy a new gpu just to see the same behavior again.
Lets take doom eternal because its the more optimized game in general. Drop the resolution to 720p and graphic settings like shadows and details to low. Hows your game running now with gpu-limit resolved?

What psu do you have and how much would you want to spend for an upgrade?

Mar 10, 2020
I tried running DOOM: Eternal with 720p resolution and shadows/details to low, and I was able to get 60 fps firmly.
But, although I was able to play smoothly, after all it was 720p, so the graphics were not as enjoyable as they were at 1080p.

I don't know what PSU I have, but I know it's not very powerful. And for an upgrade - given that the problem is the GTX 1050 Ti - I am willing to spend up to 200 euros.

Zencxal

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019

So here’s a pretty bad explained tear down from me :

Games that’s you will be running (RDR2, Control, DoomE, etc.) are not that cpu intensive, putting that in mind, depending on your psu you have a good area for upgrading.

If I were to recommend anything below or on par with your price range (200 euro), I would strongly recommend a RX 580 (If you have a good PSU), GTX 1650S (or non super), GTX 1660, Or if you could squeeze in a little more money, a GTX 1660 super would be a good path to go with.

Without being said, the Ryzen 5 1600 is still a pretty solid budget choice for the games you are going to be playing. But this also kinda depends on your ram’s MHz. Ryzen kinda depends on that in a way.

But without making this too long, I would try and opt for a GTX 1650 super (saying it’s almost as good as a normal GTX 1660), or if you have the money, a GTX 1660 super would be great for the next upcoming titles. Guessing you might have a 450w or 400w, a GTX 1650 super is a solid option. That’s it really.

Have a nice night!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution