Best Gaming Headsets (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
one: The 800 is pretty old now. It also doesn't support their software suite, even though it says it does on the box.
two: The 840 is a newer version, but also discontinued. Moved to the Pro Series.
three: With Windows 10 offering Dolby Atmos, and Dolby Atmos for headphones, I'd be interested in a review on a decent DAC (ie. Creative Labs E5), and high quality stereo headphones like Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 600, Sennheiser, etc.

ashburner

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I have about 10 different sets trying to find a favorite. So far, it is the Plantronics RIG 800LX. Wireless. Very impressed.

While I'm a fan of Razer headsets, I know they're not for everyone for whatever individual reason(s) a person may have. That said, if I were in the market for a high dollar set like that SS @ $300, I'd personally buy a dedicated pair of audiophile grade cans and a separate clip on mic. There are no shortage of high quality sets from which to choose, and I'm always disappointed when such a combo isn't a consideration by the reviewer. Yeah, yeah. I know they can't account for everything, but it would be a worthwhile inclusion in a future review of this kind.

D

Deleted member 217926

Nothing from an actual audio company like Sennheiser? The Game Ones in particular seem to be well reviewed.

I use an Asus Xonar STX and HD 650s generally. They have a larger soundstage and more sub bass than my HD 600s. If I want to really feel some explosions it's the Fostex TH-X00s.

ssoussana

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
I've been through a multitude of headsets for gaming, and nothing comes close to the Sennheiser Game Ones with an amp driving them. They are not only the most comfortable headset I've ever purchased, the sound quality is audiophile grade, and the built in mic is great too. The build quality is solid as well. Yes they are going to cost you over $200 with a decent amp/dac, but they are well worth every penny, you will not be disappointed.

thinkspeak

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
So your best wired headset is a derivative of the Hyperx cloud line which is basically Takstar for best wired headset then? You guys havent really reviewed enough headsets to write this list just yet. I recently read one from another site with 27 headsets in a shootout measuring frequency response and everything and Hyperx came out on top with Syberia in second basically with a majority of the Creative line being garbage except for the high end ones like this. Im not sure if this is the best option to run with.

I have the Massdrop Sennheiser PC37X on my desk here. They are superior to the Creative Soundblaster X5, but definitely not in the Sennheiser audiophile tier. My AKG K701s beat them all hollow, but they don't have a mic.

@anort3, it turns out that what I have are HD650 and I dislike the emphasized bass. Lend me your 600s for some comparison listening? Trade?

@xyriin No, it's not. Tom's reviewed a dozen or so headsets in the last few months and this is a summary, as far as I can tell.

D

Deleted member 217926

Shoot me a PM. I might let the 600s out of the house unchaperoned. :D

Just curious, are you only using the STX? I find the 600s in particular really benefit from my O2/ODAC. The 650s have better separation and slightly better soundstage with the O2 but I might like them better with the STX for the music I listen to. Which is interesting considering how well they're supposed to scale with better amps/DACs. I haven't done enough comparing to say that for sure though. I've been spending a lot of time with the TH-X00 Ebonies.

Status
Not open for further replies.