Best gaming laptop for around $1,500

Status
Not open for further replies.

CORKNUTZ69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I've been looking at Alienware, and the known good gaming laptop makers but just seems there are alot of options. Like I'm a dell fan, my last vostro 1700 worked great for wow etc. The price is flexible but I want something that can play all current games on max settings etc.

CORKNUTZ69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Saw these questions in another thread, figured i'd fill em out.

1. What is your budget?
$1500-2000, including warranty
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
17+
3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portability not an issue, will be used near an outlet at all times
5. How much battery life do you need?
minimum required for graphics card etc.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
All current games on max settings
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop?
school work
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Just enough to install games/operating system
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Have had \dell in past, was fine, Looking for best equipment for the $$
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD Writer, is fine I have a BD burner at home
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Open to suggestions
13. What country do you live in?
USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Thanks for the help

Hello,

if you're inclined to go with dell, Alienware M17x should be plenty (or they had 18x which was an 18" model, not sure if its still in business)
usually comes with a GTX560M stock I believe.

Other options that might give you same hardware for cheaper are
Asus G73/74 series
Sager NP8170
MSI GX780

typical minimum hardware on gaming laptops as follows:
i7-2670qm, 8Gb DDR3 ram, GTX 560M or ATI equivalent, 500Gb+ HDD (7200rpm)
you can obviously get a better gpu for models that allow customization and also consider an SSD instead of HDD.

If you need an idea of what the performance of GPU is in-game refer >here<
if you'd like to get approximate pricing on certain models refer to following websites:
www.xoticpc.com
www.newegg.com

Best of luck, hope this helps you pick what you want.
Ask if you have more questions

ram1009

Distinguished

Dream on.

I think what ram1009 is saying is something along the lines of;

That laptop GeForce GTX 570M graphics card is roughly equivalent to a desktop
Radeon HD 5770 or GeForce GTX 550 Ti desktop graphics card, which are $100-$110 graphics cards.

And the desktop crowds are going with Radeon HD 6950 or GTX 570s which run about $250-$300 and are about double the GPU power.

CORKNUTZ69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

So are you saying that there are no laptops out there that will play all current games maxed? Or are you saying my budget will not allow it? lol If the later of the two, what budget would I need for all games maxed?

ram1009

Distinguished
A friend has a Alienware "laptop" that cost him $9K and I doubt it would max out everything and certainly not for very far into the future. I put "laptop" in quotes because it's impossible to keep it on your lap. In fact, the fact that it requires it's own cooler makes it (IMHO) a desktop. To me the term "gaming laptop" is an oxymoron.

CORKNUTZ69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

K, thanks ram

Sager/Clevo is a top brand in the custom gaming laptop market.
You'll find them featured at lot of the top boutique builders at the top end of the gaming laptop market. Alienware was a boutique builder before being bought out by Dell.

You'd be looking for a SLI or CFX laptop.
They come closest to being a mobile desktop replacement option.

For the amount of money they cost you'd have to look hard at a portable LAN box gaming PC. They're not much bigger or heavier than the biggest of the SLI/CFX laptops. Yes, you'd have to lug around a LCD screen two but you'd get more gaming power for less money. And you'd be able to upgrade the graphics card(s) in 18-24months to keep up with the newer games coming out in the future.

CORKNUTZ69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Few more questions while narrowing down my search/options
Raid--do i need? If so what raid 0,1,5
Red line boost overclocking: Worth the $75?

Sount options:Would I even notice that big of difference?

Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
or
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro THX 24-bit External USB Sound Card ( + 99 )
or
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Wireless Sound Card System (Broadcast Xtreme Fidelity Audio from PC to other audio devices wirelessly) ( + 129 )

WIreless card choices: (WIll you even notice a difference in speed given most wireless networks wont utilize faster than the lower grade adaptor?

D-Link DIR-655 802.11B/G/N Gigabit Wireless Router w/ USB Port ( + 99 )

NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS 802.11A/B/G/N Rangemax 2.4/5GHz Simultaneous Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Router w/ USB port

Thermal compound: Worth it for the IC diamond? says like 6 degrees cooler etc.???
-Stock OEM Thermal Compound

- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU

You'd have to have a super premium speaker system or headphones for the audio options to make a difference.

Wireless? What do you have now?
D-Link Router is 30% less from other vendors. NetGear WNDR3700 is $113 @ NewEgg.

IC Diamond premium thermal compound is a nice luxury.
So the RAID0 and Redline boost.

How are you doing on your overall budget?

CORKNUTZ69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I meant which wireless card, not router.
Both the MSI and Sager look appealing. I'm going nto watch for the black friday deals and pick at that point. Not sure where the best black friday deals will be posted for these two manufacturers so I'll be busy Blackfriday lol. Thanks for all the help.

So raid 0, the Redline boost is a good thing, disregard the speaker upgrade/software thingie, compound is an upgrade worth it. Thanks again!

CORKNUTZ69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Well WR2, this is what I came up with. Cancelled the whole raid thing, but went with SSD primary, 500 Secondary. Also I have win 7 copy that I can put on there (brother is in the business)so that saves me $80.00 Or do you think that will cause issues with warranty etc. if I use mine? Also, do you see anything else you would add/takeaway? $1939.00 Just under my $2,000 top lol.

Sager NP8170 / Clevo P170HM
- FREE!! Continental (U.S. Lower 48) Ground Shipping on ALL Sager Laptops! (Order must be placed between 11/24/2011 - 11/28/2011) (Enter "FREE SHIP" in comments box during order)
- SAGER Sale!!! - $100 OFF When you spend $1500* or more! (*excludes accessories, shipping, non Sager items & taxes)
Confirmation of discount will be provided after Order Processing. + Sager Price Protect & Chance for Xbox 360 Giveaway!
- 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Glossy Screen (1920x1080) (SKU - S1R506)
- NO Professional Monitor Color Calibration
- No Spare 3D Glasses
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM, 2.2-3.1GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache) (SKU - S2N224)
- - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
- ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD6990 2048MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 $100 OFF (SKU - S3R151)
- No Video Adapter
- 16GB - DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (4 SODIMMS) (SKU - S4R757)
- Sager Branding
- Standard Finish
- 120GB Intel 510 Series Solid State Drive (SSD2 Serial-ATA III) (SKU - S5R055)
- 500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) (SKU - S6R210)
- HDD Raid Settings - OFF
- Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software (When selecting a Hard Drive in the Optical Bay, No Optical Drive is Included) (SKU - S7R455)
- No Extra Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy
- No Back Up Hard Drive
- NO External USB Optical Drive
- No Floppy Drive
- Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
- No Back Up Software
- None Standard--
- Intel® Advanced-N 6230 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module + Bluetooth (SKU - S8R111)
- No Network Accessory
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- No TV Tuner
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Basic Black Business Case - Included
- Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
- No Car Adapter
- None Standard*
- No Dock/Hub/Adapter
- Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- None
- No External Keyboard or Mouse
- No Notebook Cooler
- No Thanks, Please do not Overclock my system (Overclocking will add 3-6 business days to build time)
- No Operating System Redline Boost
- No Operating System Standard - Drivers & Utility Software Only
- No Office Software
- No Software Bundle
- LIFETIME Ltd Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime -24/7 DOMESTIC Based- Toll Free Telephone Tech Support (Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)
Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Warranty Repairs (SKU - X9R009)
- No Outside of US Shipping Coverage
- Standard Production Time
- No Xotic PC Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.