Best Gaming Laptops (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_the_Bruce

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
Remeber the GIGABYTE P37X V6 is very thin and weighs about 6 ibs. It is the absolute best desktop replacement for portability. I carry it around in a backpack every day and it is not even close to being too heavy. It has a gorgeous display, and still manages about 4-5 hours of battery not gaming (power saver mode is your friend).
I use it all the time for VR and gaming on my 3440x1440 monitor with games like Overwatch, GTAV, Guild Wars 2, Shadow of Mordor.
It sits at about 90c max load with a core clock of about 1600. This temperature is perfectly safe, but I still intend on repasting the gpu see if I can drop it a few degrees.

Thelaptop looks fantastic, I love that it looks normal. As a dev I often find myself hopping around to coffee shops and the library when I'm not at the office. This laptop is not an eye sore and does not stand out in the crowd. It is still huge compared to the tablets and 13.3 inch ultra books people are lugging around now. But I need that sweet, sweet screen real estate.

The boot time is also a tad weird the gigabyte splash screen sits for about a second or 2 before starting the boot process, and there doesn't seem to be a way to change that. Also the bios is very limited. It does have VT-x enabled by default, I'm not sure about VT-D, I didn't get around to testing it since I don't believe KVM pci pass through works with Optimus laptops. So, honestly switching back to Windows for programming really isn't that bad all, especially with Windows Subsystem Linux.

The track pad is pretty horrible, but honestly the only good ones are on, Surface books, XPS, and MacBooks (although I have heard chrome books have some pretty rockin ones).

Alright that's enough rambling, I do really love this laptop. :)

Amin13

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
I tried asus g752vs for a month now . I sent it back to asus twice there is a problem with the start up every now and then it stuck
also while playing LOL the screen freezes and I be the 1st victim of 1st blood . I'm thinking to get another one due to model problems anyone else had a problem like that ?

fanchiuho

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013
I would like it if Tom's can confirm the actual weight of the GL502VM. Several users from Notebookreview community shared measured weights at around 5.8 pounds (Or 2.63 Kg) that deviates nearly one pound from the reported specs from ASUS for the GL502VS, the 1070 version.

If those are "the best" gaming laptops, I'm skipping this gen.
Back in the day I got a GT780DXR from MSI with a 570M (that would be todays 1070) with room for 1 SSD and 1 HDD, 16 GB DDR3 and a i5 (that I then upgraded for a used i7 2 years later) for around 1.2K

Today that gets you nowhere. You have to sacrifice something.
Maybe its time for a desktop again?

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

Assuming the laptop is still in the lab, we'll take a measurement and post something here. Thanks for the heads up.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

I am already seeing prices come down, although that might just be the holiday sales. Unfortunately you probably have to go down to Maxwell GPU laptops to get more affordable prices without sacrificing other features and components (like an SSD). We've got lots more to test, and we'll keep watching these prices.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

We weighed it. 5.59 pounds.

Korpexx7771

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
I purchased the GS43VR and it is hands down the best laptop I have ever owned. The IO is lacking but it has T3 so I can daisy chain which opens up a lot. I play every game I own at Ultra settings with the 1060 and they look just fine at 1080p since its only 14". The portability is amazing and I am so glad I did not go for the 17"ers. Just my 2 cents.

HOkay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011

I think you're missing the point here. Today, for $1.5-2k you get a laptop that equals a high end desktop PC! That 570M you mentioned was never anywhere near the desktop version, whereas the laptop 1070 genuinely gets within 10% of the desktop card. Even the 1060 is relatively much stronger compared to the best desktop cards than the 570M was. It's a great time for laptops, they now compete at the high end of desktops instead of the mid range :)

huntkil

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Asus Strix GL502VM-DB71 vs MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro-034 which one is better ? Both have good build quality, GTX 1060 and 1080 IPS display. ASUS has GSYNC while MSI has thunderbiolt 3 and steel series keybord. Hard to choose can anyone help....

daliamaarouf

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
i think the MSI GT73VR TITAN PRO-201 will be good for me i used the lap for work and need it for long time at day so i think it will be nice for me

mdblack2005

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
I bought the Eluktronics P650RP6 which is a Clevo re-brand. for $1299. Its probably a better option than the Asus STRIX. First it comes with a PCI-e SSD, and a 1TB SATA HDD. It also has expand-ability for another m.2 SSD and another SATA HDD. It has 4 slots for RAM, and one thing I've never seen on a gaming laptop before: a SIM card slot. The screen could be better on the version I bought, but they also have an option for G-Sync and 4k. I really wish Tom's would review some of these non-big name vendors. Another plus to Eluktronics for their awesome customer support.

CarbonBased

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
I picked up an Aorus X5 v6 and IMO its definitely one that should have at least made this list. As the previous owner of a Razer Blade '14, and an Alienware 15 with a 1060, I was looking for something more powerful than the Blade but less bulky than the AW. The Aorus is perfect in this regard, it has a 6820hk, 1070 with Gsync display, 16GB DDR4 but expandable to 64GB, space for 3 m.2 ssd plus one 2.5 drive. All this on a laptop that weighs less than 6 pounds. Comparatively the blade is under 5 lbs. and the AW 15 is around 7. Also, not a thing at all for me but might be to others, true, per-key RGB backlighting.

Build quality is good, but the aluminum is thin - I think more as a weight saving measure than trying to be cheap. I have no issue with it, and Im a bit nitpicky about these things. My only knock would be that the included a usb-c port but it isnt TB3. I imagine the next iteration will have it, and as long as the build quality holds up I'll be picking one of those up and fully embracing the eGPU life I envisioned when I tried my first eGPU setup nearly 6 years ago.

jman0war

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
I'd like to find out the power consumption of these to determine what is the most energy-efficient gaming laptop.
When doing tests, why not just plug the laptop into one of those "Kill a Watt" meters and take a reading of KiloWatts used with an eye on the cumulative total of KiloWatts per Hour consumed?

Fiqar_

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
Oh man, I've been looking for an article like this on Tom's and this just popped up. Great work! I'm considering getting my system changed and this is the perfect place for help, Thanks!

weavenation

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
goto bestbuy and get them refurbished. i saved almost $600 doing this and got an awesome Alienware r4 17 in with a 1070. its been stellar. and its not on this review for some reason. cpu never goes above 70C and gpu never goes above 66C. max battery size possible. very easy to upgrade storage and ram. slots for 2 m.2 drives a half size m.2 and 1 2.5in sata drive. thunderbolt 3. if the GPU is ever not good enough you can always get the graphics amplifier and its cheaper than any other eGPU dock. beats out every other laptop thats the same spec i7 and 1070 by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.