Best gaming monitor for mostly mmorpg - TN vs IPS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smoge

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
Hello,

I am sorry that I created a new thread here, however I did a little research on internet and I got only mix feelings since no thread was straight to my point.

I use my pc on playing games such as Dragon Age, Witch, WoW, League of Legends etc. meaning I do not play FPS games such as CS often or more likely really rarely with friends.

From the information on internet I understand that in this case I should get IPS monitor with good respond time (1-5ms). However I saw some videos compering TN vs IPS on lol and games like that and text and some movements during battles was kinda blurry. So I have no idea right now.

I would like you to tell me, which pc monitor (24 inch) should I buy in this case, while my budget is 6500 CZ (that is 300 USD, however pricing in EU is different so I guess its somewhere 250 USD instead)

BTW: My current monitor is Philips 220WS, CPU - I5, GPU - GTX 750 Ti ( it can in future change into something better).

I am sorry for my english.

smoge

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
Well I was decided on Dell UltraSharp U2414H. However then I read that users have problems with input slots ( I mean that stuff you connect monitor to pc - HDMI, DVI and so on).

They say that sometimes it messes up resolution. And of you wanna have multiple monitors you cant, because often happens that one of the monitors just is not recognized by pc.

Here is a link on a nice thread about this - http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2oe2sf/discussion_builders_beware_overwhelming_evidence/.

Well if that is true and I should not risk it to save myself from troublems I was thinking of buying:

Dell U2415 - more expensive version - + is that it is 1920x1200

Dell S2415H - cheaper version (older) - this way I could save some money to buy something else (headphones, new keyboard, GPU) or just save money to buy some new monitor in the future to have nice multiple monitors though I dunno if my GPU (GTX 750 Ti) would be capable of doing so.

Asus VS24AH - Middle way - Do not know much about this monitor. On paper it has 5ms respond time and same contrast as dell. But I have not read much reviews about this one for playing mmo.

What would you do?

Enapace

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Yeah the Dell U2414H has a issue with Nvidia its do with it not being detected properly as a PC Monitor so you don't get the Full RGB color range like you are meant to. You can fix it if you are using the monitor over HDMI but you can't properly only temporary fix over Display Port. Proper fix from Nvidia in upcoming drivers is due to fix these issues.

I wouldn't recommend 16:10 aspect ratio for Gaming. If you want same quality as U2414 without issues get the P2414 only problem with that is that you need sort color balance out yourself loads of places online give you ideal settings for that though is cheaper than U2414 as well.

smoge

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
Well I read something about P2414 and it seems that there is quite strong black-glow + some light in the corners. They I remembered that there is a Dell U2412M. However it has mixed reviews. Some says fairy ghosting some not. True is I dont play fps at all, only league of legends which is not huge fps. You said that Dell U2414H can be fixed by using HDMI. I think my card has HDMI and if not it can be overcome by using a converter. Also you mentioned that Nvidia will lunch a patch that will fix this. If its true, then it will be fixed and without a problem. Though there is still the problem with multiple screens. I am not knowledgeable about this, but what i understand If i don't use some kind of chain (method of multiple screen or whatsoever) and normally plug one monitor to HDMI and second to VGA then it should be ok, no?

Of was also thinking about Benq BL2411PT. Its benq, has fairy good review what i read. So probably will settle on this one.

smoge

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
Well I am sure that nobody is reading this anymore, however I just wanted to tell that In the end I decided to buy Benq EW2440L. It is a TN panel. Because I got scare by all this talk about ips glow/ blacklight bleeding and so on. The only downside is that it is 16:9 and not 16:10 which I prefer. However going from 22 inch to 24 inch will be bigger anyways so will see.

TRENDING THREADS