Best gaming mouse for under 50$

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Firstly sorry if this is the wrong part of the forums! Couldn't decide where to post, but I need some help with deciding on a new wired mouse to game with. I currently use a really generic logitech wireless one that loses signal occasionally and I really need to replace it. As far as games go, I really play everything. I play a lot of FPS's such as BF3, but I also play games like League of Legends and Diablo and Starcraft. It's mostly for FPS and third-person rpg type of games. I really have no where to start looking though. I know about dpi and sensitivity, but beyond that I know nothing about brands or specific models. I've heard good things about the logitech g4/5 series and for some of the razer adders, as well as steel series and M60s. As always, the cheaper the better, but 50$ is about my ~cap.

On a side note, how are gaming keyboards superior to generic ones? I use a Dell keyboard that came with a desktop ages ago and it still kicks. If there is a real upgrade to buying a gaming keyboard, I'd like to invest in one of those as well!

Thanks for your time

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
You think the g400 is the best out of the g4/5 and the deathadder? I have a friend who has the steel series sensei and he really likes that. the gigabype mouse is surprisingly cheap and very attractive at that price haha. Can I get some more opinions? Is 1600 dpi going to cut it?

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
As far as availability goes, they are all available. Cheapest place I can get them all is newegg so yeah. I have heard that the deathadder is not that durable? Maybe its just ragers that say that and don't care for their equipment. Is the gigabyte worth anything? I'm just looking for a straight up unbiased answer as to which is best and will last me a long time. I'm not a brand fiend as long as the product is a genuinely good piece of hardware.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

No knowledge of what hardware the Gigabyte mouse uses. It isn't a mouse that anyone in the computer peripheral circles is bothering to talk about, so I would take that as an indication that it is average. If it was great or awful, its name would come up.

its not a bad mouse and is easily comparable in performance to the kova + or roccat kone and many other 50buck mice. average is probably the best description for it...

corsair do mice also there vengeance mice are gaining a rep for accuracy and build quality and i would say some of em are better than zome of razers higher end offerings.

but as i tell every 1 whos buying a mouse. go to a shop with a good selection and try them. most stores that have mice on display will allow you to see them in action...

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
I like my G110 keyboard for the backlight and some extra keys. And with software you can set profiles up per game. I like my g500, do a lot of FPS gaming and RPGs, its great all around. The m60 is a sweet fps mouse, the naga is popular for MMOs. But razor is meh imo.

i have a g11 which is basically the same as the g110. so far mine has lasted 3 years and is still as responcive as the day i got it... i am looking at a mechanical keyboard right now as a replacement. the steel series 6gv2 and the XArmor U9 backlit have caught my eye as a possible replacement...
i checked out the microsoft sidewinder x4 and its not a mechanical keyboard which was a surprise.
http://gamingweapons.com/gaming-keyboard-buying-guide/ check this fact sheet for refrences and you can make an informed choice so you know what your buying.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Yeah the Sidewinder X4 keyboard is just a rubber dome. As far as rubber dome keyboards go though, I have to give it credit. It's remarkably decent and has the best anti-ghosting of any non-mechanical that I could find. Since you can grab it on sale for 34.99 occasionally, it's definitely one of those bang for the buck kind of things. Much more respectable than Microsoft's mouse, that is for sure.

Good luck with finding a mechanical you like. If you're into backlighting, check out Deck and Ducky as well.

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Backlighting would be great. I'm in the awful habit of gaming in the dark so thats a huge plus, though I have a feeling keyboards with that feature are probably much more expensive...

Also care to explain what you mean when you say a mechanical keyboard?

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I was actually responding to Hexit's post specifically, but the long and short of it is that there are basically 2 types of keyboards. The kind that comprises 95% of the marketplace is the rubber dome style. Essentially these are cheap to manufacture and fit the role of "good enough" for generic use and really for just about anything else, so long as the user realizes that the keyboard won't stand up for half a decade under moderate to heavy use (or at least, not normally). These are your Logitechs, Microsoft Sidewinders, and most anything else.

The vast minority in the marketplace are mechanical keyboards, which are referred to as such because each key has an individual, mechanical switch that is activated and deactivated on each keystroke. These are more expensive to manufacture (much more), and in turn they generally cost more (the entry price to a quality mechanical keyboard is about 100 dollars) but when a key goes bad, often times you can replace the individual switch and the keyboard returns to 100% functionality. These keyboards stand the test of time much longer, and they are also preferred by typists and some gamers. There are different switch types which provide different tactile and audible cues, and if you're old enough to remember the original IBM Model M keyboards, which were very loud and had a distinct click-clack to them, these themselves were actually mechanical keyboards (buckling spring specifically, which is more obsolete now).

Basically, rubber-dome keyboards are the product of streamlining, manufacturing cost reduction, and mass production. And really, if you have 40-50 dollars to spend, they are your only option and there are actually some that are quite fine (like the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 which has the ability to register many more simultaneous keystrokes before failing than any other rubber-dome keyboard). There are also some that cost almost as much as a quality mechanical keyboard and offer nothing more than lights or LCD screens, which don't actually provide any benefit to me nor to most people. If you want to spend more money, you can start looking at mechanical keyboards which have generally higher build quality but will come from less easily recognized brands. The Sidewinder X4 is so unique because it has very good anti-ghosting properties, allowing many keys to be depressed simultaneously with each registering (most keyboards will not accept more than 4-6 simultaneous inputs). Many mechanical keyboards further this with full nkey roll-over, meaning the entire keyboard can be simultaneously depressed with each keystroke successfully registering. The implications of this feature in gaming are relatively self-explanatory, but in my opinion anything beyond what the Sidewinder X4 provides in anti-ghosting is probably overkill. That is why I recommend it as the best budget keyboard. When it comes to mechanicals, I recommend brands like Daskeyboard, Ducky, Deck, Leopold, and Filco. I strongly advise against Razer's mechanical keyboard as it is really poorly manufactured.

Hope that covers it =). You can google Mechanical keyboards and find some really in-depth posts with actual .gifs displaying the different properties of each switch type, if it is something that interests you further. One such thread is here: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Weberian

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
i would recommend the mx518 from logitech its round about 30-40$ and a longliving gaming mouse, if you like the big ones. i use my mx518 since 3 years and i am very happy with it.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Go into a store which has mice on display and try them.
Different people have different grip styles as well as other preferences.

Buying a mouse testing it first is like buying a car without a test drive, sure you might get lucky you also run the risk in dropping money one something you really don't like to use.

fatfatr

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
The Logitech mx518/g400 and Deathadder are your best options. Make sure not to buy laser mice and generally 800DPI is enough for most gamers.
Make sure your win sens is 6/11 and that mouse acceleration is off to achieve the best precision.
I've heard good things about the abyssus and a Microsoft Intellimouse is a good option too. If you're looking to extend your budget, you have a couple more great choices, Steelseries Xai/Sensei come to mind. I've also heard that the G9x is good for RTS games.
I personally use a g400 locked at 800DPI, switching DPI during combat is a gimmick not to mention that it's pointless, so watch out for that.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I agree with you on a lot of stuff, like switching DPI is a dumb gimmick that no one uses competitively, and having your Win sens at 6/11. I also agree with your implication that extremely high-sens isn't a necessity for most people and not particularly for gaming (myself I'm comfortable with my sens at 2300, but to each their own). But I disagree with the blanket statement "avoid laser sensors". There are mice with laser sensors that have the same zero-accel/zero-prediction qualities that you expect to see from the top 2 optical sensors. The Mamba 3.5g's sensor without the firmware update is a solid example of a laser mouse that from a technical standpoint, is equally as sound, or even more sound than many popular optical counterparts. Unfortunately for the Mamba, it also boasts an incredible price tag. But barring the price, the sensor itself is fine.

The Intellimouse is decent, and it's very popular in the Counterstrike circles. Unfortunately, a lot of the reason that it is popular is due to amateurs copying what they see the pro's using. What they don't understand is that the pro's aren't using an Intellimouse because it has super secret pro-gaming qualities. They're using it because it was what they grew up with and when you're playing for a paycheck, you tend to stick to what is familiar and has gotten you to where you are.

I would bet if you and me had a chat about mice, keyboards and the growing market-hype, we would have very similar opinions on what is and isn't functional.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Optical is just the industry standard reference. Obviously lasers take a picture as well, for lack fo a better way to describe it.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
win sens is windows mouse sensitivity. 6/11 is default and doesn't add any acceleration or deceleration. Any higher or lower than 6 and windows adds increasing amounts of both phenomenon, depending on what setting you choose. Just leave it at default.

jrsharks3

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
i use the razer deathadder and it is amazing. the cyborg RAT mouses are also good. gameing key boards are also usefull. you can program macros in them and i find mine really helpfull when gaming

skaz

Distinguished
I was using the Razer DA, but have recently been testing out a Microsoft intellimouse Explorer 3.0. So far so good. I still want to try out a g400. Probably going to sell the DA though.

Some shots of my Intellimouse 3.0

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

TTP Kacey

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
For under $50, a Cyborg RAT 3
If you'll spend another $10-20
try a Cyborg RAT 7
But whatever you do, do NOT buy a Razer Imperator. Mine broke in a short three months and it was a terrible mouse besides.

TRENDING THREADS