Best Gaming Mouse: Top Pointers for 2020

Apr 2, 2020
I used a number of gaming mice, mostly Logitech and MadCatz. They are typically used for gaming and office both. And the end of them is always the same: back side button breaks.

For modern gaming mice they advertise countless millions of clicks but in a small font they add: for main buttons. But side buttons are used in gaming extremely intensively. For usual offcie tasks they are used too. So I see some hypocrisy in these millions of clicks when you anyway have to throw away that mouse in a year.

In would be nice to specify in reviews which exactly type of a switch is used for side buttons.

kracsnz

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Wish you hadn't recommended the Naga Trinity. This isn't like Naga's of the past, after moderate use the swappable side panels start having connection issues and buttons will stop working. Went through 3 of them in warranty period before switching to a different one. Build quality is very poor.

mogster

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Bah. When is someone going to invent an "MMO" mouse that doesn't stick all the buttons on one side? My muscle memory isn't fast enough to reliably pick from a dozen buttons all lumped together.

yvdrhaeg

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017
I'm sorry, but lauding the deathadder Elite for it's switches is really misleading. They may feel great (and they really do), but they do not last. A cursory search will return many problems with the Omron switches in general, as I have personally experienced (there are some interesting articles about how these switches are actually used outside of their specs in many modern mice). I don't think it is acceptable for a 75 Euro mouse to have failing switches after 1-2 years of use, and for this to be far from a rare occurence. Especially as it is one of their selling points ...

docbones69

Commendable
Sep 11, 2019
But is there any USB Keyboard / Mouse Switch that supports them? My experience is the extra features dont work when using a switch.

D1v1n3D

Distinguished
May 8, 2015
I'm sorry but anything that uses Omron switches is JUNK. I wasted money on my Logitech g502 lightspeed just to have that FAMOUS double click after 3 months. Do I want to go without a mouse for 2 to 6 months due to corona virus for an RMA F no. Also lets mention the bounce delay you get from these trash switches. Sorry but not sorry. I hated Razer forever but my next mouse is going to be your number two spot as a streamer content creator, gamer, and photo editor I can't have unwanted double clicks after few months of use at $100+ price tag makes me extremely MAD Logitech has gone downhill and will continue as they are to proud of their name and keep raising their prices on JUNK when even their proprietary switches on keyboards are the worst returned 5 keyboards because of the laggy squishy feel they give ended up going with Corsair and HyperX with Cherry MX Red switches, only thing I don't like on them are their spacebars again feels like cheap trash in that regard. Maybe triple switches, sides and middle for the spacebars somehow for a more fluid tactical click when pressing on the sides of the spacebar, you know like you do in a lot of video games specially FPS genre. RANT OVER.... LOL

PsyaNyde

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2016
Roccat Kone Aimo, not even mentioned, over 20 button commands, gorgeous programmable RGB, Onboard memory + 4 profiles and it's reliable, had mine 3 years now. Would buy another in a heartbeat.

Reactions: MoxNix
Jul 13, 2020
Why every manufacturer create only small mice? Even when i use largest mouse on the market, it doesn't fit at all. Or when i hold Razer Deathadder, i can use only finger tips. My fingers are overreaching on the right side and mouse is so slim, i have problem holding it... It feels terrible. I was supreme master in cs go, but i go repetitive strain injury: since i am holding my mouse with 1 finger... And DYI mice are too expensive! Same every mouse, after 14 days has insane friction!

DonQuixoteIII

Commendable
Aug 16, 2021
You missed several mice that I would have included, but there are SOOOO many...

I have rather largish hands, I can palm a basketball. Where most mice fall down for me is they don't have a discernible 'lip' on the right side, so when picking up the mouse it requires grip strength. My old G9 drove me nuts. I now use a Cougar 700M, and am quite happy about the comfort. The Corsair Ironclaw might be worth investigating (for me) if Cougar ever stops making the 700 series. Their keyboard is nice too, but I have since opted for the Steelseries Apex Pro for the adjustable (magnetic) switches.

As the above can attest, I am not about the cheapest, but the best fit and comfort for me. I have bought many mousies that were touted as 'the best' , only to be disappointed by their feel. Hundreds of bikkies wasted. And keyboards...

Mice and keyboards are one area where a B & M store really makes sense. I think every town should have a store that carries every peripheral imaginable, with one display model and the price for ordering... I would pay a bit more to test out the fit and feel of mice and keyboards if I had a chance to physically test and compare all of them. Won't happen, but a nice dream

Reactions: RichardtST

DougMcC

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
I'd really appreciate if lists like these included a category for best quiet. Some of us have to game when kids are sleeping. Near-silent clicks are a must for me.

i have to say it..

whoever ranks these needs to learn what "#1 best" is.

you have a razor 69$ mouse as the #1 "best"

yet the logitech as #2 "best splurge"

"best" is best. When someone orders the best they know it's gonna cost em.
not "best at a specific price"

thats best value.

Reactions: MoxNix
gonna say it again...

"best" means best.

"splurge" would BE the best.

Ppl want the best dont care about price.

having the razor be the #1 best while g605 is #2 only cause its pricey? thats a pointless reason cause again "best" doesnt care about price unless ur going Best Value (which again u have yet another mouse for)

CmdrSloth

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
That the Logitech Superlight isn't making these lists is just beyond weird at this point.

Aftermarket-grade PTFE feet come standard, it's as light as one of the cut-out style Glorious Model's (60g), and it has some of the best feeling mouse clicks.

It's really, really weird that you guys are not putting it on these lists, especially for FPS games.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
As usual most articles and sites are clueless when it comes to the best mice.

If you want the best tests and review of the best mice, this is the channel to look for Rocket Jump Ninja

Logitech and Razer are for amateurs with more money than sense. Those are not the best, maybe very rarely a Razer makes it close to the top, but usually not.

MoxNix

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
"So a mouse designed for a fingertip grip will likely be larger than one designed for a palm grip. "

What?!

You got that completely backwards. Small mice are for fingertip grip and large mice for palm grip.

In fact for people with large hands the problem is NOBODY makes a gaming mouse large enough to use a proper palm grip with. I have long hands with long fingers, if I use a proper grip with my palm resting on the back of the mouse the tips of my index and middle finger are an inch and a half past the end of the mouse. This forces me to use a claw grip which is uncomfortable or a fingertip grip which is even worse. In addition the side buttons are always in terrible spots, too close the back of my hand making it difficult to hit the right button when I want to use them yet extremely easy to hit them accidently. I usually wind up turning the side buttons off because they're so awkward to use.

Reactions: RichardtST