Best gaming settings for the Asus vg248qe 144hz monitor

Solution
Firstly, the splendid modes are absolute garbage. I have this monitor, and have found that my calibrations differ significantly from others. When calibrated correctly, it will look quite good. Use the ICC profiles posted above. After enabling those, use a website like http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ to calibrate it manually, using the user/custom settings (not splendid modes). Don't use the nvidia panel, don't use windows calibration for anything other than cleartext.

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
The presets on this monitor are horrible. I can give you the settings I use:

Splendid Mode: Theater
Brightness: 35 (had it at 60 first but turned it down over the course of a few days)
Contrast: 60
Saturation: 60
Color Temp.: User Mode -> Red: 99 Green: 98 Blue: 87
Skin Tone: Natural
Smart View: Off
Sharpness: 50
Trace Free: 80 (performs much better than 100 for some reason)
ASCR: Off

This is at 144Hz using DisplayPort and I'm not using an ICC Profile, their Gamma is generally too low for me, can't see anything in dark areas.

ICC Profiles if you want to use them:
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-vg248qe/ (it's in there somewhere)
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

hairybalsagna87

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
check this out https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-vg248qe/

i use
Splendid Mode: Scenery
Brightness: 60
Contrast: 65
Saturation: 60
Color Temp.: User Mode -> Red: 90 Green: 90 Blue: 88
Smart View: Off
Sharpness: 70
Trace Free: 0
ASCR: Off

dazkyl

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013

Thanks. Im using the settings you gave me. What about the colour settings from the nvidia panel ?

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
I don't use them, mainly because almost all fullscreen applications (like most games) ignore those colour settings. The same happens with ICC profiles. Using borderless window helps (but not all games support it) and there are third party appplications that fix this, but that's another program to have running all the time and sometimes it still doesn't work.

I personally prefer to just get the best colours I can using the monitor's own settings and leave it at that.

Lowie1771

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Firstly, the splendid modes are absolute garbage. I have this monitor, and have found that my calibrations differ significantly from others. When calibrated correctly, it will look quite good. Use the ICC profiles posted above. After enabling those, use a website like http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ to calibrate it manually, using the user/custom settings (not splendid modes). Don't use the nvidia panel, don't use windows calibration for anything other than cleartext.

Solution

raza2016uk

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
I Use These Settings:
Splended Mode: Scenery Mode
Brightness: 100
Contrast:80
Saturation:40
Color Temp: User Mode Red100 Green100 Blue100
Smartview: Off
Sharpness: 40
Tracefree: 60
ASCR: On
Eco Mode: Off
These Are My Settings.I Also Use Asus VG248QE Color Calibration ICC Profile.
One More Settings I Use I Have Nvidia Graphics Card So Go To Nvidia Control Panel And Go To Adjust Desktop Color Settings Tab And Then Choose Digital Vibrance And Slide The Slider To 60 And Then Apply OK.
These Are The Best Settings In My Oppinion.Try It Guys.

XlordB

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015

Where did you get the icc profile from ? Was it the CD that came with the monitor or from online?

XlordB

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
anyway here is my settings to try i find them very accurate and nice and bright but not too bright.
Splendid mode - Theatre
Brightness 50
Contrast 70
Saturation 90
colour temp user mode r - 96 g-94 b-88
Skin tone natural
smartview off
Sharpness 40
tracefree 60
ascr off

Use the icc you get on the disk with the monitor
then for nvidia users goto the nvidia control panel click on desktop colour settings and set digital vibrance to 24%

This gets everything looking decent for me however i might give raza settings a go to see how they look.

XlordB

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
ok i just tried raza settings and although they are nice and bright they are not accurate.. if you check the lagom lcd test screen with online with his setting you dont get the full range of colour shades showing properly.. if you use my settings you get a more accurate colour representation and still bright etc. thanks for the idea though raza. ;) Please note that for the vibrance you may lower it more if it helps what your looking for is a full colour range from contrast on this page too much digital vibrance or contrast will flood the colours http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php

XlordB

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
I have one more list of settings for you to try if you prefer accurate colours but still want them brighter then try these with the lagom test screen to make sure theyre correct of course.

splendid mode-theatre
brightness 100
contrast 50
saturation 44
colour temp user mode r-96 g-94 b-88
sharpness 40
tracefree 60
ascr off
eco mode off
control panel nvidia digital vibrance set to 50%.
after that check the colours on lagom test screen for accuracy.
also the icc profile is still the one from the cd which came with the monitor.

raza2016uk

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016

XlordB

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
ok i tried your settings as per the guide etc. The image looks good but the colours arent acccurate.. check it with the contrast page on lagom test. the idea is there still just needs a little tweaking to get the colours to accurate i will try and solve it. as the image does look really nice i like it to be like that with the acurate colours. i think it is possible

XlordB

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
So after extensive different profile testing i have come up with the best possible brightness and colour accuracy together.

Using the nvidia icc file from your link to the guide
Splendid- theatre
Brightness 100
Contrast 83
Saturation 42
Colour temp User mode - r-83 g-83 b-83
Skin tone natural
Smartview off
Sharpness 50
Tracefree 40
ASCR on
Nvidia vibrance set to 50.
eco mode off..
trust me ive tried so many different profiles in the last 20 mins its nuts. Anyway this final profile is the brightest i can possibly get the monitor while still retaining every square of the lagom contrast image. Try it out and see for yourself. ;)

Update : after gaming with this brightness seems black's are a bit too black..hard to describe