Best Gaming Setup, All Things Considered?

patrickafleck

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Hey all,

I've been researching getting into PC gaming and have learned an awful lot in the last couple of weeks. Initially I started out not having a clue about GPU, CPU, FPS, refresh rate and so on, and was pretty staunch that I wanted "4K gaming at 60FPS+".

Through self-education I've realized a few key things, for instance, that refresh rate and resolution on monitors don't always match up with a 4K gaming experience, and I'd like your help in deciding which way to go, for each component of the gaming setup...

For what it's worth, this won't exclusively be a gaming setup, I want to be able to edit photos and videos effectively for my business (so if that sways things up or down in specs, please advise), but, especially when it comes to the monitor, I want it to be top-grade for both uses (e.g. optimized refresh rate, color reproduction and so on).

1) PC Specs. I realized that, for better resolution, future-proofing and to get as close (in specs) to a potential "4K" gaming experience, I'd need to go for a PC that has the GTX 1080ti, Min 16GB RAM... I'm between 2-3 models (veering toward the Omen, below) and would value your opinions on these pieces of equipment.

A) MSI Infinite A - Currently $1899 (was $1299 on New Egg last week but sold out! Aggghhh!) - http://amzn.to/2y49YdE

B) Omen by HP - $2149 - Same spec as the MSI, but nearly $300 more. I must confess, I'd be going for aesthetics, as much as anything, if I opt for this over the MSI, but $300 might be worth it?
http://amzn.to/2xmF0cg

C) Omen by HP $2399 - Considering plumping for the 32GB RAM variant
http://amzn.to/2gBYiDC

---------------------------------------------------------

2) Monitors - Next, I love the idea of a 21:9, curved monitor. I'm currently looking at 34" curved variants of the Acer Predator, HP Omen and Asus, but am also considering the LG's (34" and the huge 38"), Samsung's and even Dells. I would even consider a triple monitor setup, whether curved or not, but not 100% sure...

In my travels online, I've realized none of these 21:9 curved monitors will provide true 4K gaming, rather I'll be limited to QHD. However, I think 'd prefer a QHD (assuming that's pretty damn sharp and close to 4K) on a 21:9 screen, even if 21:9 is a no-go for 4K. I currently have a (flat) 1080p LG 21:9 that I use for Xbox One S games and I've grown to like it.

Balancing all things that are important... what would your recommendations be re: monitors, and do you have any experience with those mentioned above?

A) Refresh Rate... Should we be striving for 100hz minimum?

B) Color reproduction - e.g. for editing

C) G-Sync (opting for a GTX 1080ti in all of the above PC's, so I assume going for a "Freesync" monitor wouldn't get the me same results as a G-sync? This is one reason why I'm swaying away from the LG's and toward the Omen and Acer monitors.

D) Light Bleed, Contrast etc. - Light bleed kills me. I returned 2 LG TV's in the last year due to it and am hesitant about IPS panels. The Omen is a VA panel I believe, so may not have quite the contrast, but perhaps would have a more uniform experience??

E) Speakers - Not important to me, I'll likely get external speakers.

Any help, advice or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Alex

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
point B (monitors) clashes with point 2 (monitors) = curved screens are TN (cheap) screens, they are curved to lessen the viewing angle issue as the screens are so large, you will see bleed at either end and possibly no image the other end. point b would require ips (better colour representation).

suggest getting hybrid monitor pva/mva (benifit of faster response than an ips, and better colour representation than a tn).

if youre spending BIG on a pc, go the whole hog and 32GB of awesomeness. sure, it might be overkill, but you can ramdisk some of it and laugh at ssd speeds.

patrickafleck

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Thanks for the info. I see what you mean, so I guess my focus needs to be on the best 'balanced' monitor, rather than the best for each use (which is non-existent)

I'm just monitoring the pricing situation over the next week or two on the PCs, then I'll pull the trigger... As far as Omen PCs... have you heard anything negative about them or are they all good as to quality?

Cheers, A