Question Best GPU/CPU combo for under 100W

Grovest

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I am trying to understand the relationship between CPU/GPU, power consumption and performance.

My interest is with regards to MOBILE NOTEBOOK DESIGN.

Using tricks like undervolting it is possible to reduce the power consumption of high end processors to much less than they may want to draw.

I can't find performance vs power draw charts for CPUs, but for GPU, at the same power, high end chips significantly out perform low end chips.

For example, if we cap both a 4060 and 4080 at 60W, the 4080 will still significantly out perform the 4060.

Thus, if cost is not a factor, only performance for a given power draw, it is better to go with a 4080 and cap the power.

Does the same apply to CPUs. Capped at 45W, would a i7-13850HX out perform an i5-13600T?

The reason for my question relates to choosing my next laptop. I need a mobile that runs cool enough to be used comfortably on my lap, with reasonable battery life, yet with the best possible performance per watt.

The bonus of going with a high performance laptop and tuning it down is that when plugged in and used on a desk, removing the caps and the notebook will be fast enough to replace my desktop.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The higher your core count the better when running low clock speeds and power on GPUs. GPUs are all about parallelism.

On the CPU though, you do want high clock speeds for your important threads, so it doesn't apply as well. However, higher spec parts tend to have higher clock speeds, since the lower end SKUs are often the crippled versions of the full chip.

I will say you are better off with the non-X and non-K class parts. These are generally better binned for higher clock speeds at low power. Your unlocked chips are actually the rejects that are very leaky, this means they can clock high, but at the expense of power/temperature.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Grovest

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
If I understand your input, the best choice is to go for a high end GPU and limit the power, but CPU designed for low power?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If I understand your input, the best choice is to go for a high end GPU and limit the power, but CPU designed for low power?

For the GPU, yes, that does tend to work better.

I am not saying go for the low power CPUs, I am saying don't go for the overclockable ones. They can achieve the high speeds you want, but at a higher thermal cost than the standard higher power chips.

H is fine, not HX or HK.
U class chips are designed for a much lower power target and generally have lower clock speeds to match.