Best gpu for 1280x1024

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
at your res, you'd benefit more from a fast cpu. what is your current cpu? as for the cards, any one of them will do (imo they'd be overkill). you should go for the cheapest card. may be the 6950 1gb. however, the 560ti will have good driver support from nvidia. get at least a quad-core with 3.1 ghz (overclocked to 4+ ghz is better).
won't using a gpu makes integratd graphics useless ie will h6x or z68 be of any additional advantage w.r.t p67 and also i plan to get sabertooth due to its thermal efficiency and cfx and sli support.i am planing to get it from store on xmas.
yes, using discreet gfx will disable the igp. one the advantages of z68 over p67 is the ability to use the igp so if you don't want to use the igp then there's nothing wrong with getting a p67 motherboard.
another thing, make sure your p67 motherboard has b3 revision (fixes the cougar point chipset bug).

Get a 2500k and overclock it and get something like an asus p8z68-v or v-pro board so you will get the full benefits and support of ivybridge during april. For your gpu, get somethign like a 460 for now.

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I don't know who you think you are as you talk utter crap.
Ray tracing is not in any current game and is an Nvidia feature used in maya using the mental ray plugin.
AA and AF and all the rest will be easier at a lower resolution no matter what card you have.

I made one mistake, i have a really bad habit of mistaking volumetric light scattering for ray tracing, mostly because i watch a lot of videos created on 3dsMax using match moving techniques that uses ray tracing for increased realism which i find fascinating (you should check some if you haven't already), it doesn't hurt my pride to admit an error, instead, i proudly and happily admit them because it means that i have learned something... that is the kind of person i think i am... and btw... nice way to start a conversation... nice talking to you too...

anish449

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

i heard that i7 and i5 k series is best for oc. but the thing is that i am not planning to oc , that's why i took i7 2600 into the list , bcoz firstly- i am a beginner and don't know how to do oc
secondly-won't oc decrease lifespan and void warranty
also won't ivybridge cost about 30-50% more. The performance and power consumption of ivy is good , it is the cost that makes it well above my budget.

A overclocked 2500k will outperform the 2600 in almost every single scenario, just in the bios change the multiplier from something like 33(3.3ghz) to 42 (4.2ghz). You save around 70 bucks.

anish449

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

yes i fully accept that fact. but will the oc ,ie change multiplier to 42 ,require additional cooling mechanisms other than stock coolers.If it was possible to oc then i would have gone with the i7 2600k as the price diff from 2600 is about 2-3k INR , but no oc (warranty , lifespan, cooling considerations) apart from that i would be using the system basically for playing games, watching videos etc therefore no need for higher clock i guess.

also wont increasing the multiplier(oc) requires a higher speed ram (stock 1333hz) ie shouldn't bios speed requires resetting for the max performance. but as ''de5_roy'' the voltage stock is 1.5v.

overclocking the cpu will not require higher speed ram. Also overclocking the cpu increases performance in games.

sandy bridge supports up to 1.5 v rams. higher voltage rams can damage the cpu, according to intel engineers. however, it is possible in some cases to run higher voltage ram but it is not recommended.
nothing wrong with choosing not to overclock. but if you were to buy an overclockable cpu, you could use its overclockability to get some extra performance out of it after using it for some time. you can still oc your 2600 using turbo multipliers on a mobo that allows it (for single core max turbo).

anish449

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

acha hai yaar... basically i am from kerala so little slow in hindi.
thanks for the reply, this is price of stock radeon 6950 i guess.,is it 1gb or 2 gb ,but i heard that the stock model runs at comparatively higher temperature and to some extend noisier. is it true. asus 6950 dc 2 "http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH6950_DCII2DI4S2GD5/ " is one of the models that i prefer. i don't know its price in india. also i read its review and found the card is very good but will it cover the 2 pci slots

Status
Not open for further replies.