Best GPU for $350?

ferwindjacks

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Solution

fkr

Splendid
there is a little misinformation above

the r9 290 is comparable to the gtx 970 and the r9 290x is comparable to the gtx 980

this makes the r9 290x the easy choice for performance to price. most people i know say that all of the issues with the r9 290x drivers are fixed and they are overclocked and running fine

I own an evga acx 2.0 gtx970 and there are some games that the drivers are not working well with and also there are some voltage control issues with the card that nvidia needs to fix.

I am not a fanboy of any card as I have in the last couple of years owned gx 560ti about 6 different AMD cards and now the new gtx 970.

all new products have issues and this is true for nvidia, they have a great track record recently of fixing things but AMD drivers have come a long way.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

No, the 290x is basically equal to a gtx 970.

The 980 is a bit faster then either.

Avg-Perf-1080.png

fkr

Splendid

i get it, but it really depends on what games and at what resolution you play. in arma3 at 4k it is faster than a gtx 980, according to the toms review. same for battlefield 4 it is just 1 fps slower than a gtx 980. i do not like to use 1080p for these types of cards as it gets to be kid of pointless.

anyways all of these cards are withing 10% of each other or so.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Avg-Perf-2160.png

fkr

Splendid
what those numbers do not say is if the r9 290x is in uber mode or not. if is it used in quiet mode it was probably throttling itself especially if it is a reference card. it is not really fair to compare a reference card to the gtx 970 card as there are not really any reference cards for the gtx 970. when looking through different reviews of specific cards the numbers can change by quite a bit.

44borna

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

good. sounds nice i may be overclocking a bit so the temp will be very nice thank you.

TRENDING THREADS