[SOLVED] Best Gpu for freesync 240hz monitor

johnupham8

Commendable
Jun 22, 2017
Hi guys, i have some question bcause i dont know about refresh rate.

So do i need a powerfull gpu to run in 240hz monitor or something like midrange to lowrange gpu can handle it?

Is 240hz = 240fps?

How does 240hz impact in gaming, is it worth?

My spec:
Ryzen 7 3700x
X470 gaming 7 wifi
16gb ddr4 3200hz
Gtx 680 jetstream (i'm going to replace this lol )

Solution
No 240 vs something like 120 or 144 is not worth it, unless you are getting the monitor for free as a sponsored pro gamer.

Yes you need to upgrade your video card to run games fast enough to use the higher refresh rate. To what depends on the game and resolution.
No 240 vs something like 120 or 144 is not worth it, unless you are getting the monitor for free as a sponsored pro gamer.

Yes you need to upgrade your video card to run games fast enough to use the higher refresh rate. To what depends on the game and resolution.

Solution

johnupham8

Commendable
Jun 22, 2017

game I play the most is rainbow six siege at 1080p

game I play the most is rainbow six siege at 1080p

That game at 1080 resolution with a card like a 1080 will hit maybe 120-140 fps. But really a 240hz monitor is not worth the extra cost if there is one from what a 144hz one is that you like. I would spend more on an IPS with a lower refresh rate than a TN with a high refresh rate. If you get a 240hz monitor you are not only paying more for that, but you then need to go into the higher end video card to take advantage of it, and you could be limited by the engine itself in some games where it won't go over a certain FPS not matter how good the system is.

I am very much into mid range or lower end high end stuff, I don't go into 4k gaming on 32" monitors with $800 video cards, there is a nice sweet spot in mid range stuff now, 75hz IPS monitors are nice and cheap, 120, 144 hz monitors, cards like the 1070, RX 580, etc... all nice gaming cards if you don't try to get crazy FPS on high settings. I put more money into nice looking monitors, audio, mice and keyboards than I do in raw speed of the computer.