albygeo3

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015
You've probably heard this a million times. After a bunch of research, I'm still stuck on what GPU to get for editing. I'll make this thread organized as possible for the ease of clarification.

Intention
I barely play games so this is mainly for photography and I'm planning to move forward with videography soon. I'm not sure what GPU to get for editing 4K videos and photo editing. I'm happy to buy a used GPU and I have a budget of 200 although I want to save much money as possible and invest it into storage. I'll get a 4K monitor that is 27 to 32 inches as soon I get in video production (maybe gonna get another monitor or a TV for editing and other purposes ). Some say a 1650 or 1660 will do the job others say they'll never. Here are some GPUs that I thought would work:
  • AMD Radeon RX 570.
  • AMD Radeon RX 580
  • Nvidia GTX 1650.
  • Nvidia GTX 1660.
  • Nvidia GTX 1070.
I saw these cards to be around $200 or below.

Softwares I use
  • Photoshop
  • Lightroom
  • Capture One
  • Illustrator
Softwares I'm planning to use for video
  • Premier Pro
  • After Effects

My rig (as of now)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x.
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B450-F.
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb 3200mhz.
Storage: WD 1 TB HDD.
GPU: GTX 960 4gb SSC ACX 2.0+.
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold.

Thanks in advance for your help!

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
I don't know too much about video editing/photo editing and what cards are, but I'm sure checking out LinusTechTips' youtube channel you could find a valuable resource because they do a lot of testing on a variety of subjects such as CAD, video and photo editing, and obviously games.

Reactions: albygeo3

albygeo3

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015
I don't know too much about video editing/photo editing and what cards are, but I'm sure checking out LinusTechTips' youtube channel you could find a valuable resource because they do a lot of testing on a variety of subjects such as CAD, video and photo editing, and obviously games.

Yes, I did that already and they suggest the GTX 1650.