[SOLVED] Best GPU option for very high end 4K gaming rig - Ryzen 9 3950X OR i9-10920X

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nathancorp

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Hello,

Im about to build a very high end system and plan to power it with the Nvidia RTX 2080i. I was wondering if that is the best graphics card for top tier gaming on a 4K screen as opposed to a SLI build? I currently have 2 x 1080s with SLI but they’re not doing so well with my 4K screen so I’ve heard it’s probably better to go for a single 2080i.

So basically i would like to know what the best GPU option is for 4K gaming and if I should consider SLI at all?

Here are the specs I’m looking at:

Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 1000 Watt
Motherboard Asus® PRIME X299 Deluxe II
Processor Intel® Core™ i9-10920X 12 Cores - 24
Threads - 4.8GHz
Memory 128GB - 8x16GB - 2666MHZ
Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti 11GB - Founders Edition
Sound Card Creative® Sound Blaster Z
Networking On-Board Ethernet
Operating System Drive - SSD Samsung® 970 EVO Plus - 1TB SSD - M.2 -
PCI Express
Data Drive - SSD or HDD Samsung® 860 EVO - 4TB SSD - SATA
Data Drive - SSD or HDD Samsung® 860 EVO - 4TB SSD - SATA
Optical Drive LG 8x DVD Writer External
64-Bit Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO IF ANYONE HAS ANY EXPERIENCE GAMING 4K with Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti please share.

Last edited:
Solution
I see. Im now contemplating 3000MHZ Ram as compared to what i wanted earlier which was 2600. Its never enough ;)
Luckily RAM is cheap these days! I'd recommend a 3200-3600 MHz kit, can usually be found for not much more than slower memory.

Heavy multi tasking so id have Windows office open (several instances of MS Word and Excel) along with 100-200 tabs (Chrome and/or Firefox) and the thing is when i want to game i dont want to shut them all down and then go back and forth, I'd prefer keeping everything open and then going back and forth. Currently im having issues with that but i only have 16GB RAM and i7 4900K along with 1080 SLI.
It sounds like having sufficient RAM may be the important thing here, rather than...

nathancorp

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014

I see. Im now contemplating 3000MHZ Ram as compared to what i wanted earlier which was 2600. Its never enough ;)

nathancorp

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
What sort of work, if I may ask?

Heavy multi tasking so id have Windows office open (several instances of MS Word and Excel) along with 100-200 tabs (Chrome and/or Firefox) and the thing is when i want to game i dont want to shut them all down and then go back and forth, I'd prefer keeping everything open and then going back and forth. Currently im having issues with that but i only have 16GB RAM and i7 4900K along with 1080 SLI.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Luckily RAM is cheap these days! I'd recommend a 3200-3600 MHz kit, can usually be found for not much more than slower memory.

It sounds like having sufficient RAM may be the important thing here, rather than necessarily needing a high core count CPU. Simply keeping a bunch of programs/tabs open (most of which aren't actively doing anything most of the time) doesn't really require a lot of CPU power.

Solution

nathancorp

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014

It sounds like having sufficient RAM may be the important thing here, rather than necessarily needing a high core count CPU.

OK this makes perfect sense, so im going to ask them to quote 3600 Mhz, i initially thought 128GB should be sufficient even if RAM speed wasnt top notch but looks like that was wrong. 3600 MHZ it is!

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Woah, 128GB, that's a lot of RAM. Finding a kit that big that's 3200+ MHz may actually end up being pretty expensive, if they can even find one. And getting it to actually run at that speed would be a whole other question.

Do you really think you require that much? I was thinking more like 32GB, maybe 64GB. Just playing around on my PC right now, it seems like 1 Chrome tab seems to take roughly 200 MB of memory on average, so even with 100-200 tabs that seems like it ought to be enough.

Reactions: Phaaze88

nathancorp

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Woah, 128GB, that's a lot of RAM. Finding a kit that big that's 3200+ MHz may actually end up being pretty expensive, if they can even find one. And getting it to actually run at that speed would be a whole other question.

Do you really think you require that much? I was thinking more like 32GB, maybe 64GB. Just playing around on my PC right now, it seems like 1 Chrome tab seems to take roughly 200 MB of memory on average, so even with 100-200 tabs that seems like it ought to be enough.

I dont know if im experiencing a leak or what but somehow my memory usage seems to max out, its been a pattern all throughout my ownership of this PC. Granted im using only 16GB but double that doesnt seem enough based on what ive experienced considering the fact that i dont want to shut down all tabs when its time to play a game real quick. My work schedule is intensive and round the clock so i find breaks where i can quickly play for a while. I often need to go in and out and this leak issue or whatever it is has really been a thorn in my side. Which is why i chose to max out with memory this time around. 128GB may be overkill a tad but at least i know i certainly wont face issues with memory maxing out.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I still think 64GB should be plenty, and hugely more practical than 128GB. But if someone else is paying for and building this PC and they say they can get you 128GB then I guess at least you don't have to worry about the price and trying to get it all working.

nathancorp

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
I still think 64GB should be plenty, and hugely more practical than 128GB. But if someone else is paying for and building this PC and they say they can get you 128GB then I guess at least you don't have to worry about the price and trying to get it all working.

Can’t completely argue with that. Ok I’m going to mull over it cause I don’t ever want to face a memory issue again, but this rationale makes sense without a doubt, may stick to 64GB for now at 3600. A very reputed company will build it and stress test it for 72 hours, but I’ll surely be paying for it.

Reactions: TJ Hooker