Question Best GPU to add to a Dell XPS 8940 Desktop for gaming?

militarydave

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
Short and sweet,

My PS4 finally died on me after years of use, and PS5's are still on backorder. I have a Dell XPS 8940 tower with a 10th gen Intel core i3-10100 (4-core, 6M cache, 3.60 GHz), 16GB of RAM and 1TB HDD that I purchased last black friday for about $400, as it does not have a graphic's card. I am thinking of purchasing an NIVIDIA GeForce GT or GTX as I know these are sold thru Dell when configuring the XPS desktop on their website. I believe my power supply is 500w (not sure) and would like recommendations on a decently priced GPU that could handle some games like Warzone, Rocket League, etc. Those are really the only ones I play occasionally as I'm not a hardcore gamer for a dedicated gaming PC.

Would it even be worth adding a decent GPU to this desktop? I've seen some priced for about as much as I bought the computer for lol... I'd say my budget is around 2-300 bucks, but flexible on that.. IF the current desktop setup I have can even handle a good GPU.

Any recommendations, advice, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, when/if I do purchase a GPU, are these pretty much plug an play? Or, does something need to be changed in the Bios after installing?

V/R,

MD

The rest of the specs of your computer are certainly good enough to justify spending some money on a graphics card.

Can you open up the case and take a picture of the label on the side of the PSU? Upload to Imgur: The magic of the Internet and post resulting link here.
Lastly, when/if I do purchase a GPU, are these pretty much plug an play? Or, does something need to be changed in the Bios after installing?
Should be plug and play assuming the current power supply can handle the video card.

militarydave

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
The rest of the specs of your computer are certainly good enough to justify spending some money on a graphics card.

Can you open up the case and take a picture of the label on the side of the PSU? Upload to Imgur: The magic of the Internet and post resulting link here.

Should be plug and play assuming the current power supply can handle the video card.

I didn't take a picture but confirm it is only a 350W Dell PSU.

Doing some research, this machine likely does not have any 6 or 8 pin pcie power connectors. It also appears the power supply is proprietary, so it cannot be upgraded.

Given no PCIe power connector and no way to install a PSU with one, the fastest GPU that you could install into this machine would be a GTX1650.

With current pricing, here is the best deal I see:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284382925659

This card should combined with the 10100 should run the games you mentioned very well.

Reactions: militarydave

militarydave

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
Sorry to revive this old thread from almost a year ago, however now that prices on GPU's have finally started to come down - I'm really to get back into actually buying the 1650 for my XPS 8940 tower.

Shopping around they're about $200 but curious about what some of these variants are... There's a MSI Ventus, Asus Phoenix, PNY Super... are all these pretty much the same just different names? Or does each have a meaning to it?

Sorry but i'm not familiar with the varants of these. I honestly thought there was AMD and NIVIDIA only that made these.

Just one that's plug and play since the PSU on mine is actually 360W, non-upgradeable.

Thanks.