[SOLVED] Best GPU to buy for the next years under 300€

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015
I have to buy a GPU, but i can't spend more than 300€ .
This is my build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB

Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO

PSU: Corsair RM550x

Secondary memory: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD

Case: Thermaltake Case Mid Tower H200

I was thinking about the GTX 1660 super, but they told me that i should wait for the 5700xt to come out first so the price would drop a little. They told me (in another post) that the 1660 wont even be enough for the next 4 years. I don't want to spend more than 300 though. Is there a GPU that I should get that will last for like 6 years, that will be enough to run 3d programs, a little gaming (like 2 hours a month, low settings is good enough), photoshop, matlab etc. and should i wait christmas or maybe a little more?

Solution
The 1660 super is a solid gpu.
it's plenty good for most people playing at 1080p 60fps, or in esports titles like csgo, getting more like 150 fps.

As long as your expectations are 1080p 60fps high-medium, you will be surprised at how good the 1660 super is.

The only thing is that, new gpus are coming out right now, and while the lower end stuff might take a few months more to arrive, older, better stuff is actually pretty cheap.
You will be able to get an rtx 2070 for around 250$ in a couple of weeks, as long as the 3070 doesn't struggle with supply as much.
Which will blow the 1660 super out of the water, 5 times fold.

You need to decide if the wait, and "risk" (it's totally fine, but whatever you feel like) of buying used hardware is.
it's plenty good for most people playing at 1080p 60fps, or in esports titles like csgo, getting more like 150 fps.

As long as your expectations are 1080p 60fps high-medium, you will be surprised at how good the 1660 super is.

The only thing is that, new gpus are coming out right now, and while the lower end stuff might take a few months more to arrive, older, better stuff is actually pretty cheap.
You will be able to get an rtx 2070 for around 250$ in a couple of weeks, as long as the 3070 doesn't struggle with supply as much.

You need to decide if the wait, and "risk" (it's totally fine, but whatever you feel like) of buying used hardware is.

Solution

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015

Is the 2060 worth the extra price?

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
how long do you want to use it for...

if you paning on upgradin in the next 3 - 5 years then dont bother with the 2060

5+ years then the 2060 would be worth the extra cost.

under 5 years i would recomend the
  1. 1080 ti 8gb
  2. 1660 super
  3. rx 5600xt 8gb

prices may differ depending on your country, but where i am these are all under your budget

Is the 2060 worth the extra price?
over the 1660 super? no.
But it really depends.
if you plan on keeping this for a couple of years, you need to know in hindsight what kind of experience you want.
The 1660 super is a 1080p card, it might do high fps on some less demanding games, but also around 90 in heavier titles.

The 2060 super is a 1440p 60 fps card.

You need to know what you want to experience for the next few years.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the "best" card is the strongest one you can fit into your budget. pretty simple really. the stronger it is now, the longer it will still be good for the system. unless you need it right away, i'd sit and wait a bit. so much happening with the new releases and prices all over the place, it is worth waiting a month or 2 to get the best bang for the buck.

if you have to have it now, then grab the best possible card you can get for the money. but stay in your budget or you'll be chasing "is it worth $20 more" forever :)