Question Best GPU to replace RX5700

jemf7sk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
I've had this system for 3 years now and it still works great but the MSI EVOKE Radeon RX 5700 XT has always been a problem. I'd like to replace this with something equal.. not really better because I don't game much anymore and don't want to spend a lot of money. Any recommendations on a GPU that will be rock solid and not crash my system all the time like the EVOKE?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bCmjjy

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($209.48 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p 1.02 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.57 @ MemoryC)
Video Card: MSI EVOKE OC Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 550 Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.60 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560 x 1440 155 Hz Monitor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $993.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-12-01 13:09 EST-0500

jemf7sk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
Thanks tennis2... This GPU is known to crash the system all the time. MSI's support could not help me and I've done all the fixes I could find.. which never work. My computer crashes at least once a day and I am tired of it. It works great when it doesn't crash though.

I don't understand your side-grade comment so I'm curious what you mean and would recommend?

Thanks tennis2... This GPU is known to crash the system all the time. MSI's support could not help me and I've done all the fixes I could find.. which never work. My computer crashes at least once a day and I am tired of it. It works great when it doesn't crash though.
Typically* a GPU won't crash the whole system into a BSOD/restart. Something like that is usually* RAM-related.

I don't understand your side-grade comment so I'm curious what you mean and would recommend?
I'd like to replace this with something equal.. not really better because I don't game much anymore and don't want to spend a lot of money.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

jemf7sk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
Did you get one of the original Evoke cards without thermal pads between the backplate and the PCB? If so, did you get the free RMA thermal pad replacement?

I did get one of the originals but their support never mentioned anything about RMA thermal pad replacements. I've tested my memory and it tested good.

jemf7sk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
have you run any system RAM tests to see if one of your sticks is faulty? If so, what test? Did you have both sticks installed during the test? How long did you run the test?
Yes.. about 2 1/2 years ago I ran some tests on it but I don't remember which ones or how long they took. I did have both sticks installed. Do you have a recommendation for something that I can run again?

jemf7sk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
Memtest86/86+, Prime95.

I actually had F@H detect (crash with) a bad stick of RAM in 5 minutes that passed 19 hours on Prime95

I'd recommend running/testing with 1 stick installed at a time.
I just ran Memtest86 v4.3.7 for 15 hours, 7 passes and 0 errors. I'll try just one stick at a time next. What is F@H?

jemf7sk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
RX6600 XT? i believe RX6600 still a bit slower than RX5700XT. else you might want to look for RX6700 XT. faster than 5700XT for sure and you might be able to get a good deal on it.
Wow.. those are expensive. I was thinking that three years later I could get something around $150 that would be at least a little better. I guess the RX6600 is not too bad

Wow.. those are expensive. I was thinking that three years later I could get something around $150 that would be at least a little better. I guess the RX6600 is not too bad

the price structure has been in the mess for the last few years. with RDNA 2 AMD end up releasing new architecture but they charge the same price instead for the same performance instead of bring faster performance at cheaper price as it was in the past. RX6600XT is more or less equal to RX5700XT in the performance. RX5700XT original MSRP is $400. RX6600 XT original MSRP is $380. not only that AMD actually cut corners with the new RX6600 XT like using 128bit memory interface (instead of 256 like 5700XT) and limit the PCIE connection to x8 instead of full x16 like 5700XT. that's why in some cases RX5700XT can beat RX6600XT if the game are more sensitive to bandwidth or at 1440p res. we saw quite significant price cut on AMD cards due to mining crashing but some people think the current pricing probably how it should be in the first place. the price structure still on the crazy side for the green team even if they were at MSRP.

Reactions: jemf7sk
I've had this system for 3 years now and it still works great but the MSI EVOKE Radeon RX 5700 XT has always been a problem. I'd like to replace this with something equal.. not really better because I don't game much anymore and don't want to spend a lot of money. Any recommendations on a GPU that will be rock solid and not crash my system all the time like the EVOKE?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bCmjjy

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($209.48 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p 1.02 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.57 @ MemoryC)
Video Card: MSI EVOKE OC Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 550 Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.60 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560 x 1440 155 Hz Monitor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $993.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-12-01 13:09 EST-0500

Hey there,

IMO, you have a couple of things going on. Firstly, you're running the 5700XT with a less than recommended minimum spec PSU. This could be contributing to the crashes. There's a reason recommended 'minimum' PSU are advised. Whilst your current PSU is quite decent, and you won't necessarily draw that much power (550W), you could at certain times be hitting close to that mark. Consider a replacement PSU.

Also, what bios are you running om your system? Ryzen need to have their bios maintained and up to date to ensure best compatibility. You should be running 7C02v3F bios. This has the updated Agesa 1.2.0.7 update. Once done, make sure to clear CMOS afterwards. The older bios have a stuttering bug and known GPU incompatibility issues.

Edit: Also, what happens to the system when it crashes. Do games crash to the desktop? Does it BSOD? Does it restart the system.?

Last edited:

jemf7sk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
Hey there,

IMO, you have a couple of things going on. Firstly, you're running the 5700XT with a less than recommended minimum spec PSU. This could be contributing to the crashes. There's a reason recommended 'minimum' PSU are advised. Whilst your current PSU is quite decent, and you won't necessarily draw that much power (550W), you could at certain times be hitting close to that mark. Consider a replacement PSU.

Also, what bios are you running om your system? Ryzen need to have their bios maintained and up to date to ensure best compatibility. You should be running 7C02v3F bios. This has the updated Agesa 1.2.0.7 update. Once done, make sure to clear CMOS afterwards. The older bios have a stuttering bug and known GPU incompatibility issues.

Edit: Also, what happens to the system when it crashes. Do games crash to the desktop? Does it BSOD? Does it restart the system.?
Actually someone recommended that I upgrade to a better PSU a year ago and I did.. I apologize for not updating that info. I now have the EVGA 210-GQ-0750-V1 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W

With the BIOS I found it would only run stable on 7C02v1B. I couldn't even install windows on anything but that version. I don't see the version you are recommending.. do you have a link? Any other bios I have ever tried crashes before I can get logged into Windows.

When the system crashes it BSOD and reboots. I've captured the messages in the past and they are always different and no one could seem to figure out what it was that looked at them online. After it restarts I get an error message from the GPU software asking if I want to submit it to them.

The past few days I have pulled my memory and just ran one stick at a time. They didn't error out on the memory tests but I still got crashes in Windows. I has crashed three times in the past 30 minutes. Most of the time I can go for hours and then in will crash.

I've done what others have posted to correct this with this GPU and uninstalled the drivers and software and manually install the drivers only. It will work great until the next MS update it seems.

It never crashes when I play games.. only when I am browsing the internet or doing nothing and just letting the computer sit idle.

magic_nut

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022

Sorry lad but that thought process doesn't correlate to the market reality of today's GPU prices even if all the crypto mining stuff seems to have been put aside for now :unsure::love::D:tearsofjoy::sweatsmile::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::bounce:

For 150$??? :sweatsmile:For 150 nowdays u can get about like a 1650 or something if u are talking about new cards thats about HALF the performance.

A 5700xt is quite a beefy card btw in most benchmarks faster than a 3060 for instance that costs about lets say 350-400$.

jemf7sk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
Sorry lad but that thought process doesn't correlate to the market reality of today's GPU prices even if all the crypto mining stuff seems to have been put aside for now :unsure::love::D:tearsofjoy::sweatsmile::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::bounce:

For 150$??? :sweatsmile:For 150 nowdays u can get about like a 1650 or something if u are talking about new cards thats about HALF the performance.

A 5700xt is quite a beefy card btw in most benchmarks faster than a 3060 for instance that costs about lets say 350-400$.
What about this one.. it looks cheap but surely performs better than my POS
https://www.newegg.com/p/27N-0081-0...ds-_-9SIB86XJ822706&ignorebbr=1&cvtc=35307878

magic_nut

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
Lad if something is too good to be true it usually is.
And if something is too cheap to be true it also usually is.
I have no idea of that particular card but having googled this 51risc I found for example this article here:
https://hothardware.com/news/beware...laptop-gpus-being-sold-desktop-graphics-cards
I've no idea what the card actually is but you take about 51 risks buying one :LOL::love::ROFLMAO: That being said if you are absolutely desperate you can give it a go...Me personally I ordered a 3060ti by zotac to replace my 2060 super for example.