[SOLVED] Best GPU without external power for prebuilt?

My friend, who is located in UK, has an Acer Aspire XC-885; slim form factor pre-build computer.

Three questions: (1) What is the best performing graphics card that does not require external PCIe connections? (2) I'm advising him to purchase from Amazon UK, but are there any better options? (3) Can a normal two slot GPU physically fit inside the XC-885? I'm in the US, and do not personally have physical access to this PC, but from a YouTube video that I found (Russian speaking YouTuber) it does not appear to need a low-profile graphics card.

Time stamped YouTube video, showing inside of XC-885
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO-3IyHifXQ&t=1m27s

-- specs --

Acer Aspire XC-885-u3e1
i5-8400 (65 watt TDP)
8GB RAM (1 DIMM)
Integrated graphics
1TB HDD
220 watt proprietary non-ATX PSU.

Thank in advance for all your input. And yes he's aware that he'd be much better off building new. He plans to use this machine for at least the next year, while he's in school, to hold him over. But he would like to have the option to play more than Minecraft in the mean time. Also, he does plan to add another RAM kit in there to upgrade to 16GB, but he'd first like to be sure that a GPU upgrade would be successful, before he proceeds with the memory upgrade. Thank you.

Wolfshadw

Titan
That 220 watt power supply isn't going to be sufficient to power much more than an integrated graphics replacement card like the GT 710/720. I would not try to power anything like a GT1030 or more with that power supply.

...and yes, if your friend decides to try anyway, you will need a low-profile card.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw Point of inquiry: I understand your advice about the power limit, but how are you certain that a low-profile card is needed? I see one PCI 1x slot, but no USB header/cables in the way. What am I not seeing? Thank you for taking the time to respond, by the way.

mGAVOff.jpg

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
"@Wolfshadw Point of inquiry: I understand your advice about the power limit, but how are you certain that a low-profile card is needed? I see one PCI 1x slot, but no USB header/cables in the way. What am I not seeing? Thank you for taking the time to respond, by the way."

the video you post shows the width of the computer as 100MM (3.99 inches)
a full sized card is 139mm high (5.51 inches) vs 69mm+ (2.72 inches) for a small form factor card.
therefore the card must be less than 100mm, which means a SFF card.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Wolfshadw Point of inquiry: I understand your advice about the power limit, but how are you certain that a low-profile card is needed? I see one PCI 1x slot, but no USB header/cables in the way. What am I not seeing? Thank you for taking the time to respond, by the way.

mGAVOff.jpg

"Low-Profile" refers to the height of the card. What you are describing is the slot-width of the card. Just by seeing the rear of the case, I can tell the expansion slots are only half-height/low-profile.

-Wolf sends

Guys, I have one more follow up question: The Zotac 1650 has only one customer review, and it states that the fan noise is "atrocious". Should my friend proceed with the 1650 purchase despite this review or get a 1050 Ti (low profile), which is lesser performing, but has very good reviews?

-- GTX 1650 lone customer review --
RIrzJIe.jpg

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GT LP
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-NVIDIA-GeForce-Express-Graphics/dp/B01N683IAQ

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC Low Profile
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GeForce-1050-Profile-GDDR5/dp/B01N33SOXU

Very funny coincidence: While I was reading a review of the Gigabyte 1050 Ti Low Profile, I noticed that one of the customer reviewer's posted a picture of that GPU inside their computer, which I'm all but certain is the Acer Aspire XC-885 (below). I just thought that was a wild happenstance.

-- GTX 1050 Ti customer review photo --
bFSJfy1.jpg

Sep 10, 2019
I have a Zotac GTX 1650 running in a SFF HP Elite on the stock PSU

If you let the fan run at full-speed it is noisy but I have installed MSI Afterburner and restrict fan speed - the GPU runs hot, 83C but I'm assured that's perfectly acceptable

Reactions: rcald2000