best gpus for triple 4k gaming *no budget

Vortex_Incarnate

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
I've spent years gaming at borderline playable fps in games at low res/settings because I've never had the money to upgrade to a decent rig. I have always been able to keep my knowledge upto date, but my wallet hasn't allowed me to keep my hardware upto date. Recently some life situations have changed and money is now no longer an issue to a certain extent. So now I'm finally looking to upgrade from my ddr2 lga 775 comp to something new and of the bleeding edge.

Although now I have the money I don't have the time I'd like to research my parts to the extent I've researched everything in the past. I'll be waiting for broadwell chips to release and for 4k monitors to mature a little more, but what I'm stuck on is the graphics cards. With the release of the GTX 980 would a tri/quad sli setup be more optimal than some R9 295s?

I haven't had time to look around for any real information regarding triple 4k so I'm somewhat lost on the gpu end. I know I'll be pairing whatever I get with an i7 extreme edition and ddr4 and everything is going under water.

By the way I'm sorry if this post looks like a giant block of text. I'm at work now and on my phone so I'll reformat this when I'm home, but in the mean thanks to anyone who can comprehensively make it through and supply me with some useful info!

Solution

thats the best your going to get at this point in time... two 980's beats both titan z and 295x2 so even though the increase is tiny between 2-3-4 980's MAYBE sometime soon, nvidia and hopefully amd, release drivers basically aiming directly to fix both dual tri and quad solutions...
But until that point, that is the best your gonna get, that should be enough to maybe run 2(?) 4k monitors... id highly advise NOT going tri 4k for gaming, but if you want too, go for it.... post some pics on this thread when its done, would love to see it...
Also, dirt 3 is SOOOO easy to run, im pretty sure my single r9 290 would be able to run tri 4k on that lmao (im...

jasonite

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
If you're interested in that, you'd need a mobo that supports 4-way SLI and get four Titan Z's. I've seen a blogger who works for Microsoft that builds extreme systems pull off 3-way 4k's by doing something similar. You're gonna have to do a complete water cooling system and get a great big case like Corsair's 900D, and a 1500W PSu. If interested let me know, it'd be fun to put together.

J

Vortex_Incarnate

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
I know that current tech is most definitely good enough to run triple 4k. A quick search on Google for triple 4k or 12k gaming brings up a YouTube video and stuff about dirt 3 with triple 4k monitors.

jasonite

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012

A possibly better solution is to go do 4-SLI GTX 980's (high performance, more VRAM), but I do believe it's possible. I would just never want a 4k monitor.

J

TheAterix

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

thats the best your going to get at this point in time... two 980's beats both titan z and 295x2 so even though the increase is tiny between 2-3-4 980's MAYBE sometime soon, nvidia and hopefully amd, release drivers basically aiming directly to fix both dual tri and quad solutions...
But until that point, that is the best your gonna get, that should be enough to maybe run 2(?) 4k monitors... id highly advise NOT going tri 4k for gaming, but if you want too, go for it.... post some pics on this thread when its done, would love to see it...
Also, dirt 3 is SOOOO easy to run, im pretty sure my single r9 290 would be able to run tri 4k on that lmao (im joking ofc) more realistically get 80+ fps on a single 4k... but anything testing like crysis 3, would be impossible to get playable frame rates.... trust me on that...
If i was you, get a single 4k, and if you 100000% want 3 monitors, get 2 1440p monitors of the same size to put around it and use them as 2nd and third monitors, but dont game on them, just game on the 4k one...
If that sounds better for you, get the 5960X and the fastest DDR4 money can buy, and then get either 2-3-4 of the 980's, the more the better really... watercool all of this, and my friend, you have yourself one frickin beast of a pc!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS